Re: [aprsisce] APRSIS32 running under WINE

    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 5, 2012
      See if http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:linux helps you out at all,
      particularly the piece that defines the COMn ports in the "registry" of
      WINE.

      On 12/5/2012 4:03 PM, jandgandjochem wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > With the help of this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
      > All credit to David Baumgold, the owner of the site.
      >

      > I got APRSIS32 running nicely under WINE on my MacBook pro.
      >
      > The thing I do not know how to get going is my Keyspan USB to serial converter so that I can hookup my D710.
      >
      > I have the Mac drivers for the Keyspan installed on my Mac (not under WINE) and the Keyspan converter is working fine when I use a terminal program to talk to my D710 in packet mode.
      >
      > However, I don't know how to get the Keyspan converter working for APRSIS32 when running under WINE.
      >
      > Can someone shine some light on this which would be very much appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Gerard VK2JNG

    • Kurt Savegnago
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 5, 2012
        I have APRSIS32 running under a 1.2.12 version of WINE in an older Linux box.

        Still works and upgrades APRSIS32 just fine. I've switched to Vbox running under Linux and loaded XP into it. I haven't tried it yet but I suspect '32 would run well there too. I'd like to be able to "legacy" run UI-View because I like the option of realtime trackin/logging and playback when I need it.

        I don't know if the latest version of 1.4 version of WINE will work with APRSIS32. Some of the .Net Framework versions last I tried would load into the "newer" Wine versions hence

        I wasn't able to use them with some of my apps. I just stuck with 1.2.12 and Vbox. If anyone wants me to, I can repost the instruction file that addresses loading the Net Framework in the 1.2.X versions of WINE for use in Linux boxes. I made it as simple as possible so a neophyte (ie. me) could do it. Took me two years to figure it out as I am not a software person.

        Kurt KC9LDH

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 5, 2012
          Oooops,  Too fast with the finger.  Changed "would" to "wouldn't" below.  AKS

          --- On Wed, 12/5/12, Kurt Savegnago <ksaves2@...> wrote:

          I have APRSIS32 running under a 1.2.12 version of WINE in an older Linux box.

          Still works and upgrades APRSIS32 just fine. I've switched to Vbox running under Linux and loaded XP into it. I haven't tried it yet but I suspect '32 would run well there too. I'd like to be able to "legacy" run UI-View because I like the option of realtime trackin/logging and playback when I need it.

          I don't know if the latest version of 1.4 version of WINE will work with APRSIS32. Some of the .Net Framework versions last I tried wouldn't load into the "newer" Wine versions hence I wasn't able to use them with some of my apps. I just stuck with 1.2.12 and Vbox. If anyone wants me to, I can repost the instruction file that addresses loading the Net Framework in the 1.2.X versions of WINE for use in Linux boxes. I made it as simple as possible so a neophyte (ie. me) could do it. Took me two years to figure it out as I am not a software person.

          Kurt KC9LDH

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 5, 2012
            The newer version of WINE don't "necessarily" need the registry entries.
            They DO need the shortcut from the device (typically '/dev/ttyUSB#' on Linux based opporating systems) the {home}/.wine/dosdevice/com#:

            Where # are number identifiers.
            I find the regestry entry helps APRS find the device during setup.
            Without it, you have to manually enter it in the XML file.
               example:
            <!--RFPort[0]-->
                 <RFPort Name="KPC3">
                 <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
                 <Device>COM1:9600,N,8,1</Device>                  Create this line to match the DOSDEVICE
                .
                .
                .
            </RFPort>
            <!--RFPort[0]-->

            As long as the link to the Device exists in the proper DOSDEVICE directory, the windows app can use it.  With the proper Registry entry, you can configure it through
              >Configure
            >Ports >New Port              or {your port name}
                   then use the Device Button
             without the regestry this button remains empty (no device to choose), but the device still physically exists.

            Running APRSIS32 on Mint Cinnamon through WINE 1.4 and have been for a LONG time.
            Only known issues:
            1. VNC connection can get flakey with certain Linux upgrades
                 I've never done any troubleshooting.
            2.  Sometimes after long "inactivity", something goes to sleep and APRSIS32 runs slow until
                  I close it down and re-open it.  Again, no attempt to troubleshoot.
            3. Sometimes on first power up / reboot of the computer, APRSIS32 gets a error reading XML,
                even though the program seemed to exit properly.
                APRSIS32 shutdown and restart (reads, then writes older XML, then uses it)  fixes it.
                I haven't seen any missed settings.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 5, 2012
              > I don't know if the latest version of 1.4 version of WINE will work with
              > APRSIS32. Some of the .Net Framework versions last I tried would load
              into
              > the "newer" Wine versions hence

              Yes, it does.  See previous post.

              Robert Giuliano
              KB8RCO

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 5, 2012

                [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\devicemap\serialcomm]
                "COM2"="COM2"
                "COM1"="COM1"
                [HARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM] 1131331688
                "COM1"="COM1"
                "COM2"="COM2"
                [Hardware\\Devicemap\\Serialcomm] 1231984861 @=""
                "Serial0"="COM1"
                "Serial1"="COM2"
                "Serial2"="COM3"
                "Serial3"="COM4"
                "Serial4"="COM5"
                "Serial5"="COM6"
                "Serial6"="COM7"
                "Serial7"="COM8"
                "Serial8"="COM9"
                I've tried #2 and #3 successfully. Didn't try #1 but it might work too. What I did was cut the statement of choice above out and used a text editor to paste it into the /.wine system.reg file. Beginning or end I don't think it matters. Again, this might not be necessary for Burnsim but made the difference with APRSIS32. It also might have made it possible for me to run the MCP-4A programming software for the Kenwood D72A radio as long as the D72A was connected to com1 (/dev/ttyUSB0) It runs albeit a bit slow on an older laptop.

                The last step could probably have been done up above in the timeframe but it was the last thing I discovered. I got Burnsim to register properly but it WOULDN'T DRAW THE GRAPHS!! I ran Burnsim from a terminal and when one does that, all the WINE status statements run in the background and I can watch what's going on with WINE while Burnsim in running. Said something about gdiplus not working or something to the effect. Well gdiplus is in winetricks and I did
                ./winetricks gdiplus and the graphing started working just great!!!

                I haven't done any file exporting yet but at least one can run Burnsim
                in a Linux system. Rocksim 9 will run with this configuration as I was using a simplier WINE configuration to get it going quite some time ago. Rocksim 7.X.X will run with a stock WINE installation from the get go without any modifications. I generally lift the stock directories off a Windows machine with Rocksim and get it to work.
                Please note, none of this will allow one to pirate the software unless they've stolen passwords or registration files so don't think of it as a way to open software up for full use. They will have done all this work for nothing.

                Part of my issue with Burnsim is the stock WINE install kept giving me
                an Active X error in the registration process. I stumbled into the remedy with an online Google search. Got that taken care of and then the graphs wouldn't draw. Got the graph thing solved in a week or so.

                One last thing when I am trying to connect to a device from a user account Slackware sometimes doesn't give me access to the USB port.
                In that case I run the sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 (or whatever number) AFTER I have the device plugged in. Again that doesn't apply to Burnsim but in case one tries other programs with attached peripherals.

                                     Kurt KC9LDH
                I did this about 18 months ago and WINE has progressed quite a bit since then.  If just a neophyte and wanting to run in a Linux box, I'd try building a 1.4.X version from scratch or use a precompiled binary and see if a program in question runs.  If not, one can monkey with this above with my voluminous instruction.
                Oh, FT817 Commander will run with this but not Ham Radio Deluxe.
                One other alternative would be to blow all this off and load a Windows OS with Vbox.  Quite a bit of stuff will run under there pretty well.
                An XP system runs faster in my older laptop under Vbox, in linux, than a native "same speed" hard drive running XP.  I can't figure that out.  True, I'm not doing fancy-dancy games but the native XP system is slower with a similar software configuration.

                Sorry as I went OT a bit as none of this will help a Mac person.   AKS
              • jandgandjochem
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
                  I still haven't got this going.
                  APRSIS32 runs fine under WINE but I cannot get the Keyspan USB to serial adaptor to work. Googled everywhere and lots of info, some of it over my head.

                  Tried setting the device with ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 but APRSIS32 still does not recognise the port. (Or is it WINE not recognising it??)

                  The keyspan device works fine under windows and also under Mountain Lion. No problems there.

                  I must be missing something somewhere.

                  Any step by step help appreciated. Love to get APRSIS32 configured with RF port back in operation on my MacBook.

                  Thanks heaps
                • Greg D

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
                      As is most often the case, the devil is in the detail.

                      Devices need the colon ':' at the end, so your symbolic link needs to be

                      ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1:

                      That is assuming the Keyspan device comes up as /dev/ttyUSB0.  Multiple USB devices can cause the actual ttyUSB# to changem so make sure you are only using one, or double check to ensure you are linking to the correct one.

                      A quick check would be disconnect the Keysan device to do a
                         "ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*"
                      then plug it in and do it again.

                      You can also add a udev rule in
                        /etc/udev/rules.d
                      which will create a symbolic link to the proper device.
                      Write back if you (or anyone) are interested.

                      Robert Giuliano
                      KB8RCO

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
                        Hi Rob,

                        Your devil is a bit different than mine...  No colons here, but this is on a Linux system.

                        greg@server:> ll ~/.wine/dosdevices/
                        total 0
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users  8 Dec 31  2011 a:: -> /dev/fd0
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Dec 31  2011 c: -> ../drive_c
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Dec 31  2011 com1 -> /dev/ttyS0
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Jan  2  2012 com2 -> /dev/ttyS4
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Jan  2  2012 com3 -> /dev/ttyS5

                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users  8 Dec 31  2011 d:: -> /dev/sr0
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users  8 May  4  2012 e:: -> /dev/sdd
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users  1 Dec 31  2011 z: -> /
                        greg@server:>

                        Greg  KO6TH

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
                          I am running Linux Mint Maya (with Cinnamon desktop).
                          When I created links without the colon, it didn't work.  I added them and it worked.

                          Editing the registry makes the settings available in the
                            >Configure >Ports >Device Button
                          If I already have the port identified in the XML, I don't edit the registry and it still works (as long as there is a symbolic link).  NOTE, any port changes to Baud, Data, Parity, and Stop has to be done through an XML edit without the registry edit, however, it does work.

                          Robert Giuliano
                          KB8RCO

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
                            Hmmm.  Taking a wild guess here, but do your registry entries have colons too?  Mine don't.  I bet they just need to match...

                            greg@server:~/.wine> grep -i com1 system.reg
                            "COM1"="COM1"
                            "COM1:"="9600,n,8,1"

                            Greg  KO6TH

                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 11, 2012
                              No colons in the registry.  IN FACT, one setup has NO entry in the registry at all.  APRSIS32 still communicates wth the TNC (Comm port 1), but you have to edit the XML file to change settings.
                                >Configure >Ports >KPC3 (my name for the KPC TNC on Com1:) does NOT have a functional "Device" button pn that setup.

                              Robert Giuliano
                              KB8RCO

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 11, 2012

                                We could probably do with a better writeup in the wiki, if someone would like to supply a guide

                                Steve Daniels

                                Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 12, 2012
                                  A friend of mine was asking about APRSIS32 and Linux.  I asked him to follow the APRSIS32 WIKI "to a tee" and see if it works and what can be improved.  His Comments (hope he jumps in and adds):

                                  APRS Wiki "Site Menu" -> not easy to find initial setup for Linux
                                      He found that "Compatable Hardware / Software" seemed ALL hardware with a small reference to "Linux"
                                      Suggestions:
                                       a) Main Menu Tree
                                          under entry for "Initial Setup", add "Initial Setup Other Operating Systems (using WINE)"
                                       b) Bottom of "Initial Setup" page add a link to "Initial Setup Other Operating Systems (using WINE)"
                                         (if more than one), or "Initial Setup using WINE"

                                  Link to WINE Regestry:

                                  The Windows Registry is a simple text file. You can edit the file and search to see if you need to add the description. More info at Wine Registry.
                                     This link goes to a GRAPE PRODUCT

                                  I will make an effort to "cleanup" and "simplify" the WINE explanation, but probably won't get it before the holidays.

                                  Robert Giuliano
                                  KB8RCO

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                                    Bumped up the list as I am still hoping to get this to work.

                                    APRSIS32 runs very well on my MACbook Pro under WINE but I cannot get the KeySpan USB to serial adaptor working. I have the Kenwood D710 hooked up in PACKET mode but when I configure the port for the D710 and then go to enable that same port it is "Greyed Out".

                                    When I run a terminal program (Z-Term) it talks happily with my D710 and I can put the D710 in KISS mode etc. Whilst hooked up to the terminal program I can see all the APRS station received via RF in the terminal window.

                                    Just cannot get the D710 port working under APRSIS32.

                                    Still hoping for a solution here as others have done it. Trouble is I know nothing about WINE or any setting associated with my problem.

                                    Hope someone will be able to guide me here,

                                    Thanks in advance,

                                    Gerard VK2JNG

                                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "jandgandjochem" wrote:

                                    > Hi all,
                                    >
                                    > With the help of this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
                                    > All credit to David Baumgold, the owner of the site.
                                    >

                                    > I got APRSIS32 running nicely under WINE on my MacBook pro.
                                    >
                                    > The thing I do not know how to get going is my Keyspan USB to serial converter so that I can hookup my D710.
                                    >
                                    > I have the Mac drivers for the Keyspan installed on my Mac (not under WINE) and the Keyspan converter is working fine when I use a terminal program to talk to my D710 in packet mode.
                                    >
                                    > However, I don't know how to get the Keyspan converter working for APRSIS32 when running under WINE.
                                    >
                                    > Can someone shine some light on this which would be very much appreciated.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks
                                    > Gerard VK2JNG

                                  • Matthew Willis
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                                      In your home directory (/Users/yourname), there will be a hidden folder named .wine
                                      Inside that folder will be another folder named dosdevices.
                                      You need to make a symlink from com1 to the Keyspan /dev device

                                      Step by step would be:
                                      1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
                                      2. In that Terminal window type the following:
                                      cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
                                      ln -s /dev/KeySerial1 com1

                                      Then in APRSIS set the serial port for the Kenwood to be COM1.

                                      You'll only have the /dev/KeySerial1 device while the Keyspan USB adapter is plugged in.

                                      Try that and let me know how it works.

                                      -lilmatt
                                      N2PYI

                                      On Jan 7, 2013, at 5:52 PM, "jandgandjochem" <vk2jng@...> wrote:

                                      > Bumped up the list as I am still hoping to get this to work.
                                      >
                                      > APRSIS32 runs very well on my MACbook Pro under WINE but I cannot get the KeySpan USB to serial adaptor working. I have the Kenwood D710 hooked up in PACKET mode but when I configure the port for the D710 and then go to enable that same port it is "Greyed Out".
                                      >
                                      > When I run a terminal program (Z-Term) it talks happily with my D710 and I can put the D710 in KISS mode etc. Whilst hooked up to the terminal program I can see all the APRS station received via RF in the terminal window.
                                      >
                                      > Just cannot get the D710 port working under APRSIS32.
                                      >
                                      > Still hoping for a solution here as others have done it. Trouble is I know nothing about WINE or any setting associated with my problem.
                                      >
                                      > Hope someone will be able to guide me here,
                                      >
                                      > Thanks in advance,
                                      >
                                      > Gerard VK2JNG
                                      >
                                      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "jandgandjochem" wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi all,
                                      > >
                                      > > With the help of this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
                                      > > All credit to David Baumgold, the owner of the site.
                                      > >

                                      > > I got APRSIS32 running nicely under WINE on my MacBook pro.
                                      > >
                                      > > The thing I do not know how to get going is my Keyspan USB to serial converter so that I can hookup my D710.
                                      > >
                                      > > I have the Mac drivers for the Keyspan installed on my Mac (not under WINE) and the Keyspan converter is working fine when I use a terminal program to talk to my D710 in packet mode.
                                      > >
                                      > > However, I don't know how to get the Keyspan converter working for APRSIS32 when running under WINE.
                                      > >
                                      > > Can someone shine some light on this which would be very much appreciated.
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks
                                      > > Gerard VK2JNG

                                    • jandgandjochem
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                                        Hi,

                                        Thanks for your reply. Followed your instruction to the letter but still no coms to the D710.

                                        After the second command executed I got:

                                        ln: com1: File exists

                                        I then fired up APRSIS32 and under configure > New Port I chose KISS and then in the new window I chose COMn Serial but the window this is in is so small and cannot be made larger. I cannot see where I can set the D710 to COM1.

                                        I used to run APRSIS32 under windows 7 but I cannot remember where the setting for COM1 was then.

                                        Maybe it is somewhere there but I cannot see it because that window is so small.

                                        Just wondering if I can set the port to COM1 by editing the XML file???

                                        Your help is much appreciated,

                                        Gerard VK2JNG

                                        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Willis wrote:

                                        > In your home directory (/Users/yourname), there will be a hidden folder named .wine
                                        > Inside that folder will be another folder named dosdevices.
                                        > You need to make a symlink from com1 to the Keyspan /dev device
                                        >
                                        > Step by step would be:
                                        > 1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
                                        > 2. In that Terminal window type the following:
                                        > cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
                                        > ln -s /dev/KeySerial1 com1
                                        >
                                        > Then in APRSIS set the serial port for the Kenwood to be COM1.
                                        >
                                        > You'll only have the /dev/KeySerial1 device while the Keyspan USB adapter is plugged in.
                                        >
                                        > Try that and let me know how it works.
                                        >
                                        > -lilmatt
                                        > N2PYI
                                        >

                                        > On Jan 7, 2013, at 5:52 PM, "jandgandjochem" wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Bumped up the list as I am still hoping to get this to work.
                                        > >
                                        > > APRSIS32 runs very well on my MACbook Pro under WINE but I cannot get the KeySpan USB to serial adaptor working. I have the Kenwood D710 hooked up in PACKET mode but when I configure the port for the D710 and then go to enable that same port it is "Greyed Out".
                                        > >
                                        > > When I run a terminal program (Z-Term) it talks happily with my D710 and I can put the D710 in KISS mode etc. Whilst hooked up to the terminal program I can see all the APRS station received via RF in the terminal window.
                                        > >
                                        > > Just cannot get the D710 port working under APRSIS32.
                                        > >
                                        > > Still hoping for a solution here as others have done it. Trouble is I know nothing about WINE or any setting associated with my problem.
                                        > >
                                        > > Hope someone will be able to guide me here,
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks in advance,
                                        > >
                                        > > Gerard VK2JNG
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "jandgandjochem" wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Hi all,
                                        > > >
                                        > > > With the help of this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
                                        > > > All credit to David Baumgold, the owner of the site.
                                        > > >

                                        > > > I got APRSIS32 running nicely under WINE on my MacBook pro.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > The thing I do not know how to get going is my Keyspan USB to serial converter so that I can hookup my D710.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I have the Mac drivers for the Keyspan installed on my Mac (not under WINE) and the Keyspan converter is working fine when I use a terminal program to talk to my D710 in packet mode.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > However, I don't know how to get the Keyspan converter working for APRSIS32 when running under WINE.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Can someone shine some light on this which would be very much appreciated.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Thanks
                                        > > > Gerard VK2JNG

                                      • Greg D
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                                          Hi Gerard,

                                          I've had some trouble in the past with Wine windows being the wrong size (usually too small).  In Linux the window manager usually has a way to override the particular application's settings, and I've used that to force the window to be big enough that I can get to the contents inside.  I did not have this problem with APRSIS32, however, and I run it 24x7 under OpenSuSE Linux / Wine on my shack PC as an iGate.

                                          On a Macbook, I have no idea...  Never used one.  But you might search around the window settings (small "w") and see if there's an Advanced settings section to sift through.  Murphy's law says that the window that's too small to use is probably the one you need.

                                          All that said, yes, in theory you can do anything configuration-wise by editing the XML file.  Just be careful doing so, and be sure to do it when the program is not running, as it will be overwritten by APRSIS32 when it exits (and before it gets a chance to read your changes).

                                          Greg  KO6TH

                                        • Rob Giuliano
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                                            Yes, you can edit the XML file, but it becomes much easier if the port already exits.  Sounds like you do have a port already.

                                            Couple of things first:
                                               Are you sure the COM1 file is linked to the proper device?
                                                  typically something like /dev/ttyUSB0
                                                   If Com1 points to the INCORRECT device, you can add a second link (COM2) to the correct /dev ffile.

                                            The port should look something like this:
                                             <!--RFPort[0]-->
                                               <RFPort Name="D710">
                                                  <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>                               You said this was the protocol
                                                  <Device>COM2:9600,N,8,1</Device>               Set the same as you {home}/.wine/dosdevices
                                                  <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
                                                  <OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>                            These should match the WIKI for D710 KISS mode of
                                                  <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>                            These should match the WIKI for D710 KISS mode of
                                                  <QuietTime>0</QuietTime>
                                                  <Enabled>1</Enabled>
                                                  <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
                                                  <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
                                                  <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
                                                  <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
                                                  <MyCallNot3rd>1</MyCallNot3rd>
                                                  <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
                                                  <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
                                                  <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>
                                                  <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
                                                   <MessagePath></MessagePath>
                                                  <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>
                                                  <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
                                                  <!--DigiXform-->
                                               </RFPort>
                                            <!--RFPort[0]-->

                                            The other part that helps is editing the registry according to the WIKI (don't have access to my Linux box to help here).

                                            Hope this helps.

                                            Robert Giuliano
                                            KB8RCO