Re: [aprsisce] Transatlantic Balloon Off Morocco!!!

  • Kurt Savegnago
    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 4, 2012
      Like it says above.  Just came back!!!!

                                      Kurt KC9LDH

      --- On Tue, 12/4/12, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

      From: Colin XSD <m0xsd@...>
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Transatlantic Balloon attempt today
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 10:37 AM

      I'm monitoring 144.390 just in case it appears this far North.

      73,
      Colin
      M0XSD.

      On 04/12/2012 14:29, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

      Now we wait.  Hopefully there's some IGates switched over to 144.390 along the West coast of Europe and in the Azores.  The balloon was slowing as it went out of range, so it may be longer than anticipated.  Then again, it may never show up!

      On 12/4/2012 8:48 AM, Larry Overcast wrote:
      Any update?  It looks like last tx was about 10 hours ago.

      Larry Overcast
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 4, 2012, at 2:56 AM, MICHEL LUZERNE <micheluze@...>wrote:

      Hello Dear firends

      I am in RX 144.390 ARPS I am in S/E France heard somes trames by moment but can not decoded it.
      I am also on track map but seems that the last update and last trames was 3h50UTC 04/12/2012 at 10:47 locale or 9:47UTC
      There is a probleme?? See screenshot

      73 F1ABL Michel

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: jakehecla@...
      Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 20:42:28 -0800

      It's been more than a half an hour since the last packet hit aprs.fi. Any news from our European compatriots tracking the thing?

      2012/12/3 Steve Daniels <steve@...>

      If it comes across further North and is picked up by UK stations then Dutch
      stations monitoring would be good also.

      Just sent the following to a lot of Stations in Western France

      Please can you help, we are looking for stations in Western France to
      monitor APRS on 144.390MHz for a balloon crossing the atlantic K6RPT-12, if
      it makes the crossing it should be heard about 12:00UTC if your APRS Station
      is not internet connected please send reports to myself. Thank you Steve

      S'il vous plaît pouvez-vous aider, nous recherchons des stations de l'Ouest
      France pour suivre APRS sur 144.390MHz pour un ballon de traverser
      l'Atlantique K6RPT-12, si elle fait la traversée il doit être entendu parler
      de 12:00 UTC si votre station APRS n'est pas connecté à Internet s'il vous
      plaît envoyer des rapports à moi-même. Merci Steve

      Steve Daniels
      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
      Torbay Freecycle Owner

      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 5, 2012
        On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM, joseph cooksley <skiprokiwi@...> wrote:

        > Awesome ! wonder if the rig had a beacon it to allow for possible
        > recovery ?

        It sure did! It was one of these devices.

        http://www.bigredbee.com/blgps_2mhp.htm

        It was used to observe and track the flight from California all the
        way to Morocco as seen here:

        http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FK6RPT-12&timerange=604800

        All one needs to do is get closer to the landing area and listen for
        the signal on 144.390. You don't even need to decode the packet to
        recover. If you hear ANY activity on 144.390 in the area, it is most
        likely the payload. Use RDF techniques to triangulate the final
        resting location. APRSISCE/32 has the ability to plot RF directionals
        and omni DF plots, which would be a great tool to use for recovery
        efforts

        If you had APRSISCE/32 connected to your radio, the program could plot
        any position packet that was successfully decoded once you got close
        enough.

        Sometimes we forget that the whole purpose of the APRS transmitter on
        board these payloads is to beacon location information which can be
        used to determine the landing location for recovery.

        That's what we use all the time to recover all our balloon payloads.