RE: [aprsisce] Transatlantic Balloon attempt today

  • MICHEL LUZERNE
    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 4, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 219 KB
    Hello Dear firends

    I am in RX 144.390 ARPS I am in S/E France heard somes trames by moment but can not decoded it.
    I am also on track map but seems that the last update and last trames was 3h50UTC 04/12/2012 at 10:47 locale or 9:47UTC
    There is a probleme?? See screenshot

    73 F1ABL Michel

    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
    From: jakehecla@...
    Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 20:42:28 -0800
    Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Transatlantic Balloon attempt today

    It's been more than a half an hour since the last packet hit aprs.fi. Any news from our European compatriots tracking the thing?

    2012/12/3 Steve Daniels <steve@...>

    If it comes across further North and is picked up by UK stations then Dutch
    stations monitoring would be good also.

    Just sent the following to a lot of Stations in Western France

    Please can you help, we are looking for stations in Western France to
    monitor APRS on 144.390MHz for a balloon crossing the atlantic K6RPT-12, if
    it makes the crossing it should be heard about 12:00UTC if your APRS Station
    is not internet connected please send reports to myself. Thank you Steve

    S'il vous plaît pouvez-vous aider, nous recherchons des stations de l'Ouest
    France pour suivre APRS sur 144.390MHz pour un ballon de traverser
    l'Atlantique K6RPT-12, si elle fait la traversée il doit être entendu parler
    de 12:00 UTC si votre station APRS n'est pas connecté à Internet s'il vous
    plaît envoyer des rapports à moi-même. Merci Steve

    Steve Daniels
    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
    Torbay Freecycle Owner

    Message 51 of 51 , Dec 5, 2012
      On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM, joseph cooksley <skiprokiwi@...> wrote:

      > Awesome ! wonder if the rig had a beacon it to allow for possible
      > recovery ?

      It sure did! It was one of these devices.

      http://www.bigredbee.com/blgps_2mhp.htm

      It was used to observe and track the flight from California all the
      way to Morocco as seen here:

      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FK6RPT-12&timerange=604800

      All one needs to do is get closer to the landing area and listen for
      the signal on 144.390. You don't even need to decode the packet to
      recover. If you hear ANY activity on 144.390 in the area, it is most
      likely the payload. Use RDF techniques to triangulate the final
      resting location. APRSISCE/32 has the ability to plot RF directionals
      and omni DF plots, which would be a great tool to use for recovery
      efforts

      If you had APRSISCE/32 connected to your radio, the program could plot
      any position packet that was successfully decoded once you got close
      enough.

      Sometimes we forget that the whole purpose of the APRS transmitter on
      board these payloads is to beacon location information which can be
      used to determine the landing location for recovery.

      That's what we use all the time to recover all our balloon payloads.