Program crash..blue screen of death.

  • albeham2001
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
      Ran the updated program today.

      It ran great, connected to the TNC, Kam Plus, Via usb cable, ran great for about 30 minutes, then the blue screen came.

      restarted the PC several times..no joy..still crash after a few minutes. in fact the usb mouse sometimes does not work even after i restart, so i need to restart another time.

      XP pro 2002 service pack 3 AMD 64X2 Dual 4400+ core.

      USB to serial cables.

      what should i try do..

      AL KA1FFO
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
        Blue screens cannot be caused by user-mode code like APRSISCE/32, but
        only by drivers like the one that probably supports your USB to serial
        adapter. See if you can find updated drivers for that and your system
        should probably stabilize.

        Or try it with a different USB to serial adapter, preferably one using a
        different chip set.

        On 12/3/2012 8:00 PM, albeham2001 wrote:
        > Ran the updated program today.
        >
        > It ran great, connected to the TNC, Kam Plus, Via usb cable, ran great for about 30 minutes, then the blue screen came.
        >
        > restarted the PC several times..no joy..still crash after a few minutes. in fact the usb mouse sometimes does not work even after i restart, so i need to restart another time.
        >

        > XP pro 2002 service pack 3 AMD 64X2 Dual 4400+ core.
        >
        > USB to serial cables.
        >

        > what should i try do..
        >

        > AL KA1FFO

      • albeham2001
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
          Thank you Lynn.

          I updated SM Bus Controller and I am looking for an update to the radioshack USB to serial cable for XP.

          I am trying to test out a belkin f5u003, but can't find any drivers.

          wondering if any others have a better fit for the usb to serial cable?

          AL KA1FFO

          > Blue screens cannot be caused by user-mode code like APRSISCE/32, but
          > only by drivers like the one that probably supports your USB to serial
          > adapter. See if you can find updated drivers for that and your system
          > should probably stabilize.
          >
          > Or try it with a different USB to serial adapter, preferably one using a
          > different chip set.

          > On 12/3/2012 8:00 PM, albeham2001 wrote:
          > > Ran the updated program today.
          > >
          > > It ran great, connected to the TNC, Kam Plus, Via usb cable, ran great for about 30 minutes, then the blue screen came.
          > >
          > > restarted the PC several times..no joy..still crash after a few minutes. in fact the usb mouse sometimes does not work even after i restart, so i need to restart another time.
          > >

          > > XP pro 2002 service pack 3 AMD 64X2 Dual 4400+ core.
          > >
          > > USB to serial cables.
          > >

          > > what should i try do..
          > >

          > > AL KA1FFO

        • Bob Harris
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
            I've had the best results with the one from Keyspan (now owned by Tripp Lite).

            One fringe benefit: it will keep the same com port number regardless of which USB port into which you plug it (unlike some others that assign a new com port number each time you plug the adapter into a different USB port).

            On 12/4/2012 7:56 AM, albeham2001 wrote:

            Thank you Lynn.

            I updated SM Bus Controller and I am looking for an update to the radioshack USB to serial cable for XP.

            I am trying to test out a belkin f5u003, but can't find any drivers.

            wondering if any others have a better fit for the usb to serial cable?

            AL KA1FFO

            > Blue screens cannot be caused by user-mode code like APRSISCE/32, but
            > only by drivers like the one that probably supports your USB to serial
            > adapter. See if you can find updated drivers for that and your system
            > should probably stabilize.
            >
            > Or try it with a different USB to serial adapter, preferably one using a
            > different chip set.

            > On 12/3/2012 8:00 PM, albeham2001 wrote:
            > > Ran the updated program today.
            > >
            > > It ran great, connected to the TNC, Kam Plus, Via usb cable, ran great for about 30 minutes, then the blue screen came.
            > >
            > > restarted the PC several times..no joy..still crash after a few minutes. in fact the usb mouse sometimes does not work even after i restart, so i need to restart another time.
            > >

            > > XP pro 2002 service pack 3 AMD 64X2 Dual 4400+ core.
            > >
            > > USB to serial cables.
            > >

            > > what should i try do..
            > >

            > > AL KA1FFO

            BobHarris (K9UDX)
            Bath, NH

          • Arte Booten
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
              Hi all,

              Bob H. wrote:

              >I've had the best results with the one from Keyspan ...

              >... usb mouse sometimes does not work even after i restart.
              >XP pro 2002 service pack 3 AMD 64X2 Dual 4400+ core. USB to serial cables.

              I'd had a similar problem with a Belkin USB <> Serial adapter until someone
              suggested I check Micro$oft's "Hardware Compatibility List" before purchase.
              Keyspan makes at least two adapters that are on that list for XPsp3. One has
              one seial port, the other has four ... but costs more than four times as much.
              If, however, you NEED four serial ports on a laptop, that's probably the way
              to go. If it's a desktop, there are PCI-based cards that have (I think) up to
              six. Of course, then you've got to consider such ancient things as IRQ's 8-{(

              --
              +============================================================================+
              |> > > When replying remove " rEm0vEn0sP@M! " from the reply-to address < < <|
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
                Greetings,

                I highly recommend an IOGear GUC232A. I have used it with no problems on everything from TNCs to radio programing cables.

                73,
                Larry, N2HBX

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Arte Booten <n2zrc@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > Bob H. wrote:
                >
                > >I've had the best results with the one from Keyspan ...

                > >... usb mouse sometimes does not work even after i restart.
                > >XP pro 2002 service pack 3 AMD 64X2 Dual 4400+ core. USB to serial cables.
                >
                > I'd had a similar problem with a Belkin USB <> Serial adapter until someone
                > suggested I check Micro$oft's "Hardware Compatibility List" before purchase.
                > Keyspan makes at least two adapters that are on that list for XPsp3. One has
                > one seial port, the other has four ... but costs more than four times as much.
                > If, however, you NEED four serial ports on a laptop, that's probably the way
                > to go. If it's a desktop, there are PCI-based cards that have (I think) up to
                > six. Of course, then you've got to consider such ancient things as IRQ's 8-{(
                >
                > --
                > +============================================================================+
                > |> > > When replying remove " rEm0vEn0sP@M! " from the reply-to address < < <|
                > +============================================================================+
                > | Mr. Arthur "Arte" Booten Lakewood, NJ <n2zrc!rEm0vEn0sP@M!@...> |
                > | Cruise Missile Coordinates: 4005.67 N / 07415.14 W [FN20vc] |
                > | GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 9FBD 3940 FE30 E87B 9F1E 136A F5D8 3214 6262 AFBA |
                > +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

              • Albert Furlow
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012

                  Its working great!!!

                  Thanks to all….

                  AL Ka1FFO

                  Blue screens cannot be caused by user-mode code like APRSISCE/32, but
                  only by drivers like the one that probably supports your USB to serial
                  adapter. See if you can find updated drivers for that and your system
                  should probably stabilize.

                  Or try it with a different USB to serial adapter, preferably one using a
                  different chip set.

                  On 12/3/2012 8:00 PM, albeham2001 wrote:
                  > Ran the updated program today.
                  >
                  > It ran great, connected to the TNC, Kam Plus, Via usb cable, ran great for about 30 minutes, then the blue screen came.
                  >
                  > restarted the PC several times..no joy..still crash after a few minutes. in fact the usb mouse sometimes does not work even after i restart, so i need to restart another time.
                  >

                  > XP pro 2002 service pack 3 AMD 64X2 Dual 4400+ core.
                  >
                  > USB to serial cables.
                  >

                  > what should i try do..
                  >

                  > AL KA1FFO

                • Warren Brandt
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012

                    Is It possible to connect APRS Messenger to a port in APRSIS32?

                    If so, how?

                    Thanks,

                    Warren - KC0U

                  • Warren Brandt