Re: [aprsisce] Balloon launch in Florida

  • KEITH BOYER
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
      what is the call sign of the balloon?

      Keith

      On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

      On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

      > Not sure what tracker they're using, but a suggestion?

      RTrak-HAB.

      > It looks like they peaked out at nearly 101,000 ft. One marker at
      > 100,964, the next at 87,677. How about implementing a "corner pegging"
      > smart beacon for the vertical dimension? When there's a significant change
      > in elevation, spit out a beacon?

      It's pretty hard to get a good solid vertical dimension reading.
      There's a fair amount of "jitter". The best way is to continually read
      your altitude, and if the new altitude reading is greater than the
      last, save the new value. That way you'll always keep your max
      altitude reading at hand. Then, once you have significantly dropped
      altitude, you can send a report with the saved maximum altitude, or
      you could just constantly report the maximum saved altitude in the
      comment.

      We worked with Jason at RPC Electronics to develop the RTrak HAB, but
      it's still not my ultimate flight payload. I want to have a receiver
      on board as well as a transmitter. I want to have the functionality of
      the OT3, with the scripting engine onboard, and the ability to send
      commands up to the payload.

      One thing that would be very handy would be to have the payload enable
      the SQUAWK command once it gets below 1000 metres ASL. Sometimes it
      can be hard to get a good copy on the packet, but with the SQUAWK
      command, you get an alternating tone on your TX frequency. This makes
      it very easy to distinguish the payload transmissions by ear, and you
      can have the tones on for a user defined period, which would
      facilitate easy DF triangulation if need be.

      The payload landed in an area where the trees had just been cleared,
      about 300 metres south of TWP RD 562 on the 1/2 mile property line
      between RNG RD 63 and RNG RD 62, right about where the creek goes
      through.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
        On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM, KEITH BOYER <n4trn12@...> wrote:

        > what is the call sign of the balloon?

        http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=15&call=a%2FVE6SVE-3%2Ca%2FVE6SVE-5&timerange=86400

        The callsigns are still in the link sent previously... balloon payload
        is probably already back in Edmonton by now.