Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Balloon launch in Florida

Expand Messages
  • Steve Daniels
    Attempting to get Lynn s attention, there is a balloon flying in Florida you are gating it or were. KK4LZB-11 currently at 44,767FT Steve Daniels Amateur Radio
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
    • 0 Attachment

      Attempting to get Lynn ’s attention, there is a balloon flying in Florida you are gating it or were. KK4LZB-11 currently at 44,767FT

       

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      http://http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

      APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

       

       

    • KEITH BOYER
      I see it, should be south of Tampa in a short time. On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Steve Daniels
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        I see it, should be south of Tampa in a short time.


        On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:
        KK4LZB-11



        --
        Keith Boyer N4TRN
        Orange County Communication Auxiliary
        Skywarn Orange County (Technical Advisor)
        www.w4mco.org




      • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        You got my attention, but it was almost too late. I sang at 2 Masses this morning, so I ve been out since 7:30am (it s now 11:30am). I saw Middleton pop up
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          You got my attention, but it was almost too late.  I sang at 2 Masses this morning, so I've been out since 7:30am (it's now 11:30am).  I saw "Middleton" pop up on my D700 on the way home which isn't one of the normal stations I see, so I did copy their packets.  That's not surprising because they were heard from south Miami to Georgia!



          But it looks like my IGate copied quite a few of them direct and the nearby WIDE2 digi, WX4MLB-3, picked up even more.

          Wish I knew it was going to be flying, not that I'd have been able to drop everything to chase it, though.  Based on the aerial map, they had a lucky landing.  Coming in over trees to land at the edge of a field.  They almost needed some climbers.



          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

          On 12/2/2012 10:14 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

          Attempting to get Lynn ’s attention, there is a balloon flying in Florida you are gating it or were. KK4LZB-11 currently at 44,767FT

           

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          http://http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

          APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

           

           


        • Steve Daniels
          I did everything short of phoning you, as I know you are into balloons and not too many launch in Florida. You seem to have gated it quite a bit. Off you go to
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
          • 0 Attachment

            I did everything short of phoning you, as I know you are into balloons and not too many launch in Florida . You seem to have gated it quite a bit.

            Off you go to find the payload.

            Glad that Keith saw my alert and managed to catch it also.

            I was looking for a different balloon launch and had aprsis in flight mode, first off I assumed it was a plane.

            Looks like some high school students had fun today though, might be fun to contact them.

            You really are going to have to arrange masses around the important things Lynn J

             

            Steve Daniels

            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

            http://http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

            APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

             


            From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            Sent: 02 December 2012 16:34
            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Balloon launch in Florida

             

            You got my attention, but it was almost too late.  I sang at 2 Masses this morning, so I've been out since 7:30am (it's now 11:30am).  I saw "Middleton" pop up on my D700 on the way home which isn't one of the normal stations I see, so I did copy their packets.  That's not surprising because they were heard from south Miami to Georgia !



            But it looks like my IGate copied quite a few of them direct and the nearby WIDE2 digi, WX4MLB-3, picked up even more.

            Wish I knew it was going to be flying, not that I'd have been able to drop everything to chase it, though.  Based on the aerial map, they had a lucky landing.  Coming in over trees to land at the edge of a field.  They almost needed some climbers.



            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

            On 12/2/2012 10:14 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

            Attempting to get Lynn ’s attention, there is a balloon flying in Florida you are gating it or were. KK4LZB-11 currently at 44,767FT

             

            Steve Daniels

            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

            http://http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

            APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

             

             

             

          • James Ewen
            Shameful horribly misconfigured outgoing path on that flight... what a mess! Here s another one to watch...
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Shameful horribly misconfigured outgoing path on that flight... what a mess!


              This payload is an X-ray experiment lofted by our local University Physics department.

              Note the proper high altitude path used by these students. They must have been mentored by a group that understands appropriate APRS etiquette. I'm busy observing and doing ground support on this one. Too chilly and too far to go chase today! 

              Our winds are high up here, so they will be going for a 2.5 to 3 hour drive to pick up the payload.

              We're waiting for better winds aloft for our next flight so we don't have to drive so far.

              James
              VE6SRV

            • Larry Overcast
              I was just looking at the flight path. Pretty interesting. I have a son in grade 11 who has been doing physics. Seems like a very appropriate application.
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                I was just looking at the flight path. Pretty interesting.  I have a son in grade 11 who has been doing physics. Seems like a very appropriate application. What's the approximate cost?  

                Larry Overcast
                Sent from my iPhone

                On Dec 2, 2012, at 9:53 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                 

                Shameful horribly misconfigured outgoing path on that flight... what a mess!



                This payload is an X-ray experiment lofted by our local University Physics department.

                Note the proper high altitude path used by these students. They must have been mentored by a group that understands appropriate APRS etiquette. I'm busy observing and doing ground support on this one. Too chilly and too far to go chase today! 

                Our winds are high up here, so they will be going for a 2.5 to 3 hour drive to pick up the payload.

                We're waiting for better winds aloft for our next flight so we don't have to drive so far.

                James
                VE6SRV

              • Larry Overcast
                Looks to be north of Vermillion and traveled about 114 miles so far! Larry Overcast Sent from my iPhone
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  Looks to be north of Vermillion and traveled about 114 miles so far!

                  Larry Overcast
                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Dec 2, 2012, at 9:53 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                   

                  Shameful horribly misconfigured outgoing path on that flight... what a mess!



                  This payload is an X-ray experiment lofted by our local University Physics department.

                  Note the proper high altitude path used by these students. They must have been mentored by a group that understands appropriate APRS etiquette. I'm busy observing and doing ground support on this one. Too chilly and too far to go chase today! 

                  Our winds are high up here, so they will be going for a 2.5 to 3 hour drive to pick up the payload.

                  We're waiting for better winds aloft for our next flight so we don't have to drive so far.

                  James
                  VE6SRV

                • Greg D
                  Not sure what tracker they re using, but a suggestion? It looks like they peaked out at nearly 101,000 ft. One marker at 100,964, the next at 87,677. How about
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Not sure what tracker they're using, but a suggestion? 

                    It looks like they peaked out at nearly 101,000 ft.  One marker at 100,964, the next at 87,677.  How about implementing a "corner pegging" smart beacon for the vertical dimension?  When there's a significant change in elevation, spit out a beacon?

                    Just a thought.

                    Greg  KO6TH


                    James Ewen wrote:
                     

                    Shameful horribly misconfigured outgoing path on that flight... what a mess!



                    This payload is an X-ray experiment lofted by our local University Physics department.

                    Note the proper high altitude path used by these students. They must have been mentored by a group that understands appropriate APRS etiquette. I'm busy observing and doing ground support on this one. Too chilly and too far to go chase today! 

                    Our winds are high up here, so they will be going for a 2.5 to 3 hour drive to pick up the payload.

                    We're waiting for better winds aloft for our next flight so we don't have to drive so far.

                    James
                    VE6SRV

                  • James Ewen
                    ... That all depends upon how much junk you have accrued... Balloons are under $100. Helium will cost you a couple hundred these days. Hydrogen is less than a
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Larry Overcast <larryovercast@...> wrote:

                      > I was just looking at the flight path. Pretty interesting. I have a son in
                      > grade 11 who has been doing physics. Seems like a very appropriate application.
                      > What's the approximate cost?

                      That all depends upon how much junk you have accrued...

                      Balloons are under $100.
                      Helium will cost you a couple hundred these days. Hydrogen is less
                      than a hundred.
                      Trackers for the payload can be pretty cheap if you have lots of spare
                      parts. We started with a scavenged SCADA radio and a MIM tracker. We
                      now fly the RTrak-HAB as it is a nice integrated unit that's very
                      light weight.

                      What you want to fly for a payload is up to you. When we started, we
                      wanted to fly a camera, but the costs were prohibitive. Now we fly HD
                      video cameras... yup, plural cameras because the costs are down
                      significantly.

                      There are some that say they can put a full payload into the air for
                      less than $100, but that's not truly accurate. If I got everything
                      donated or scavenged for a flight, I could claim to be flying for
                      free.

                      By the time you're done, you'll be out a few hundred dollars. Of
                      course, when you recover your payload, you can reuse it, so your costs
                      for the next flight go down. Balloon and lift gas end up being the
                      continual expense.

                      If you are interested in getting involved, there's probably already a
                      balloon group near you. That's a good way to get into it as you can
                      learn from their experience rather than from your own mistakes.
                      Mistakes cost money, so why not learn from the money others have
                      spent?

                      We work to get schools interested. The junior high science curriculum
                      fits right into HAB projects, so if you can find a school teacher
                      interested, you might combine interests and get the kids involved.

                      Our local university puts on a space camp for the grade 7 aged kids
                      each year, and we helped them launch and recover balloons for their
                      camps a few years ago. That morphed into working with the physics
                      department, flying their payloads as a shakedown for future flights
                      with NASA. The students get real hands on experience with nearly every
                      aspect of what they need to know for a flight on a rocket with NASA.
                      Yesterday my son just put in his early admission application to that
                      very same university physics department. Now I'm jealous of my son!

                      We've also worked with 4 different schools getting balloon flights
                      tied into the science program. If we have piqued the interest of just
                      one kid, and that leads to them staying in school and going to
                      university, then I'm extremely happy with the money I have invested
                      into HAB.

                      BTW, VE6SVE-3 and -5 worked well, and the payload was recovered 1.1 km
                      from the last packet location copied by the APRS-IS at an altitude of
                      1096 m ASL, less than 500 metres AGL by a station 52 km away, with no
                      digipeaters involved at all.

                      --
                      James
                      VE6SRV
                    • Keehan Dowd
                      It looked like it almost made it to the road. Was it far inside the field? I guess with all the snow on the ground it would be fairly easy to spot? (As
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                      • 0 Attachment
                        It looked like it almost made it to the road.  Was it far inside the field? I guess with all the snow on the ground it would be fairly easy to spot? (As opposed to our summer ballon that got all tangled up in the bushes). 

                        Keehan. 

                        Please excuse brevity and typos.  Sent from my iPhone

                        On 2012-12-02, at 2:57 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                         

                        On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Larry Overcast <larryovercast@...> wrote:

                        > I was just looking at the flight path. Pretty interesting. I have a son in
                        > grade 11 who has been doing physics. Seems like a very appropriate application.
                        > What's the approximate cost?

                        That all depends upon how much junk you have accrued...

                        Balloons are under $100.
                        Helium will cost you a couple hundred these days. Hydrogen is less
                        than a hundred.
                        Trackers for the payload can be pretty cheap if you have lots of spare
                        parts. We started with a scavenged SCADA radio and a MIM tracker. We
                        now fly the RTrak-HAB as it is a nice integrated unit that's very
                        light weight.

                        What you want to fly for a payload is up to you. When we started, we
                        wanted to fly a camera, but the costs were prohibitive. Now we fly HD
                        video cameras... yup, plural cameras because the costs are down
                        significantly.

                        There are some that say they can put a full payload into the air for
                        less than $100, but that's not truly accurate. If I got everything
                        donated or scavenged for a flight, I could claim to be flying for
                        free.

                        By the time you're done, you'll be out a few hundred dollars. Of
                        course, when you recover your payload, you can reuse it, so your costs
                        for the next flight go down. Balloon and lift gas end up being the
                        continual expense.

                        If you are interested in getting involved, there's probably already a
                        balloon group near you. That's a good way to get into it as you can
                        learn from their experience rather than from your own mistakes.
                        Mistakes cost money, so why not learn from the money others have
                        spent?

                        We work to get schools interested. The junior high science curriculum
                        fits right into HAB projects, so if you can find a school teacher
                        interested, you might combine interests and get the kids involved.

                        Our local university puts on a space camp for the grade 7 aged kids
                        each year, and we helped them launch and recover balloons for their
                        camps a few years ago. That morphed into working with the physics
                        department, flying their payloads as a shakedown for future flights
                        with NASA. The students get real hands on experience with nearly every
                        aspect of what they need to know for a flight on a rocket with NASA.
                        Yesterday my son just put in his early admission application to that
                        very same university physics department. Now I'm jealous of my son!

                        We've also worked with 4 different schools getting balloon flights
                        tied into the science program. If we have piqued the interest of just
                        one kid, and that leads to them staying in school and going to
                        university, then I'm extremely happy with the money I have invested
                        into HAB.

                        BTW, VE6SVE-3 and -5 worked well, and the payload was recovered 1.1 km
                        from the last packet location copied by the APRS-IS at an altitude of
                        1096 m ASL, less than 500 metres AGL by a station 52 km away, with no
                        digipeaters involved at all.

                        --
                        James
                        VE6SRV

                      • James Ewen
                        ... RTrak-HAB. ... It s pretty hard to get a good solid vertical dimension reading. There s a fair amount of jitter . The best way is to continually read your
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                        • 0 Attachment
                          On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

                          > Not sure what tracker they're using, but a suggestion?

                          RTrak-HAB.

                          > It looks like they peaked out at nearly 101,000 ft. One marker at
                          > 100,964, the next at 87,677. How about implementing a "corner pegging"
                          > smart beacon for the vertical dimension? When there's a significant change
                          > in elevation, spit out a beacon?

                          It's pretty hard to get a good solid vertical dimension reading.
                          There's a fair amount of "jitter". The best way is to continually read
                          your altitude, and if the new altitude reading is greater than the
                          last, save the new value. That way you'll always keep your max
                          altitude reading at hand. Then, once you have significantly dropped
                          altitude, you can send a report with the saved maximum altitude, or
                          you could just constantly report the maximum saved altitude in the
                          comment.

                          We worked with Jason at RPC Electronics to develop the RTrak HAB, but
                          it's still not my ultimate flight payload. I want to have a receiver
                          on board as well as a transmitter. I want to have the functionality of
                          the OT3, with the scripting engine onboard, and the ability to send
                          commands up to the payload.

                          One thing that would be very handy would be to have the payload enable
                          the SQUAWK command once it gets below 1000 metres ASL. Sometimes it
                          can be hard to get a good copy on the packet, but with the SQUAWK
                          command, you get an alternating tone on your TX frequency. This makes
                          it very easy to distinguish the payload transmissions by ear, and you
                          can have the tones on for a user defined period, which would
                          facilitate easy DF triangulation if need be.

                          The payload landed in an area where the trees had just been cleared,
                          about 300 metres south of TWP RD 562 on the 1/2 mile property line
                          between RNG RD 63 and RNG RD 62, right about where the creek goes
                          through.

                          --
                          James
                          VE6SRV
                        • KEITH BOYER
                          what is the call sign of the balloon? Keith
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                          • 0 Attachment
                            what is the call sign of the balloon?

                            Keith 


                            On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                             

                            On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

                            > Not sure what tracker they're using, but a suggestion?

                            RTrak-HAB.

                            > It looks like they peaked out at nearly 101,000 ft. One marker at
                            > 100,964, the next at 87,677. How about implementing a "corner pegging"
                            > smart beacon for the vertical dimension? When there's a significant change
                            > in elevation, spit out a beacon?

                            It's pretty hard to get a good solid vertical dimension reading.
                            There's a fair amount of "jitter". The best way is to continually read
                            your altitude, and if the new altitude reading is greater than the
                            last, save the new value. That way you'll always keep your max
                            altitude reading at hand. Then, once you have significantly dropped
                            altitude, you can send a report with the saved maximum altitude, or
                            you could just constantly report the maximum saved altitude in the
                            comment.

                            We worked with Jason at RPC Electronics to develop the RTrak HAB, but
                            it's still not my ultimate flight payload. I want to have a receiver
                            on board as well as a transmitter. I want to have the functionality of
                            the OT3, with the scripting engine onboard, and the ability to send
                            commands up to the payload.

                            One thing that would be very handy would be to have the payload enable
                            the SQUAWK command once it gets below 1000 metres ASL. Sometimes it
                            can be hard to get a good copy on the packet, but with the SQUAWK
                            command, you get an alternating tone on your TX frequency. This makes
                            it very easy to distinguish the payload transmissions by ear, and you
                            can have the tones on for a user defined period, which would
                            facilitate easy DF triangulation if need be.

                            The payload landed in an area where the trees had just been cleared,
                            about 300 metres south of TWP RD 562 on the 1/2 mile property line
                            between RNG RD 63 and RNG RD 62, right about where the creek goes
                            through.

                            --
                            James
                            VE6SRV






                          • James Ewen
                            ... http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=15&call=a%2FVE6SVE-3%2Ca%2FVE6SVE-5&timerange=86400 The callsigns are still in the link sent previously... balloon payload is
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                            • 0 Attachment
                              On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM, KEITH BOYER <n4trn12@...> wrote:

                              > what is the call sign of the balloon?

                              http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=15&call=a%2FVE6SVE-3%2Ca%2FVE6SVE-5&timerange=86400

                              The callsigns are still in the link sent previously... balloon payload
                              is probably already back in Edmonton by now.

                              --
                              James
                              VE6SRV
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.