Re: [aprsisce] Re: Radio Connection to Phone?

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2012
      You are correct, the information I was quoting was from the GPS/WX station port.  In this particular radio, the computer connection is USB.  I am not sure how to get from a USB slave device to a BT device as you would probably need some kind of controller with driver (good Rasberry Pi project).  Now I have to find the HAM that told me they were using BT with the D72???
        Probably using an external TNC.

      Personally, I'd prefer a radio with TTL serial output coming out with the RS232 protocol.  That can be "piped" into a cheap RN-41, RN42, or other Bluetooth adaptor without other configurations.  Actually, I "personally" use a TT4 with the RN41 (Bluetooth Mate Silver) with display and feed it audio, PTT, gnd, and let it generate TX audio.  I can connect to BT capable phones and I have a BT dongle ($10.00 or less in many places) on my computer.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      From: Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...>
      To: "aprsisce@yahoogroups.com" <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, November 30, 2012, 8:59 AM

      Yes, the BT module is ONLY compatable with TTL levels and before using such a module, you will need to verify the levels

      The Kenwood manual for the D72A states on page APRS-2
        "[Low level : less than +0.5 volts / High level: more than +3.0 volts]
          You cannot use GPS receivers with USB-Type connections."

      This is NOT RS-232C, but is TTL compatable.
      I know of at least 1 person locally that uses a D72a and a TTL bluetooth adaptor.

      AGAIN - IT CAN'T BE STRESS ENOUGH - CHECK THE LEVELS of your radio before connecting

      Robert Giuliano KB8RCO
      From: Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...>
      To: "aprsisce@yahoogroups.com" <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 6:25 PM

      Radio side typically comes out as serial data at low levels (such as TTL).  This type of serial to bluetooth are all over Arduino type website.
         Sparkfun has one that I've used with my TT4 (Blue tooth Mate Silver)
         Setup was easier than configuring the TT4 with a terminal program
         About $40, not too expensive.  Buy the module without he adaptor board if you can deal with the power and soldering.

      Other vendors have similar and there are varying range capability by more expensive products.

      Robert Giuliano KB8RCO