de KD5NJR re KN5UPS-10

  • kd5njr
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
      Hi Guys,

      Thanks for the help so far.

      Logged into the KAM this morning to switch it to KISS MODE per yesterdays advice on the group.

      This didn't look too good :
      W5LHG>APU25N,SOKC,BRTLVL,KEETON*,WIDE3/V [11/30/12 17:22:00]: <<UI>>:
      >080458zUI-View32 V2.03

      cmd:
      cmd:KISSMODE ON
      $
      EH?
      cmd:

      The EH? is a bad thing, right ??

      But, for giggles, set up a Simple KISS port in APRSISCE/32

      Got this log screen.

      I don't see any errors, but does this look right ?

      WinMain:2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 Starting Port(kam kiss)
      Port(kam kiss):2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 CpReader Running on COM1:1200,N,8,1 (1 OpenCmds, 1 CloseCmds)
      Port(kam kiss):2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 Opening COM1:1200,N,8,1
      Port(kam kiss):2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 Opening COM1 with 4 Args
      Port(kam kiss):2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 Opened COM1:1200,N,8,1, Flushing 0 in TransmitQueue, Sending 1 OpenCmd

      Any more tips ?

      Are we on the right track ??

      73
      Scott
      KD5NJR
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
        Scott KD5NJR wrote...

        > Logged into the KAM this morning to switch it to
        >KISS MODE per yesterdays advice on the group.
        >
        > This didn't look too good :
        > W5LHG>APU25N,SOKC,BRTLVL,KEETON*,WIDE3/V [11/30/12 17:22:00]: <<UI>>:
        >>080458zUI-View32 V2.03

        That's odd. That would be from UI-View, not from aprsis32...
        but it was from W5LHG, not from KD5NJR.

        > cmd:
        > cmd:KISSMODE ON
        > $
        > EH?
        > cmd:
        >
        > The EH? is a bad thing, right ??
        >
        > But, for giggles, set up a Simple KISS port in APRSISCE/32
        >
        > Got this log screen.
        >
        > I don't see any errors, but does this look right ?
        >
        > WinMain:2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 Starting Port(kam kiss)
        > Port(kam kiss):2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 CpReader Running on
        > COM1:1200,N,8,1 (1 OpenCmds, 1 CloseCmds)
        > Port(kam kiss):2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 Opening COM1:1200,N,8,1
        > Port(kam kiss):2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 Opening COM1 with 4 Args
        > Port(kam kiss):2012-11-30T17:06:58.515 Opened COM1:1200,N,8,1,
        > Flushing 0 in TransmitQueue, Sending 1 OpenCmd

        I went to Kantronic's site and downloaded a manual for a KAM XL.
        Is this the same TNC? The commands were...

        INTFACE KISS
        RESET

        Exiting from KISS is the usual ALT 192, ALT 255, ALT 192.
        In HEX, this is C0 FF C0.

        My understanding that "simply KISS" in aprsis32 means that the
        program is expecting the TNC to already be in KISS mode. With
        the above commands sent to the TNC, you could have aprsis32
        put the TNC in KISS mode when it starts and take it out of KISS
        mode when it exists, leaving it in a usable state for other programs.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        www.ui-view.org
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
          On 11/30/2012 5:17 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

          > Exiting from KISS is the usual ALT 192, ALT 255, ALT 192.
          > In HEX, this is C0 FF C0.

          That's in the default <CloseCmd>s for a KISS-style port. That's why the
          KAM bounced out of KISS.

          > My understanding that "simply KISS" in aprsis32 means that the
          > program is expecting the TNC to already be in KISS mode.

          Yes, and Simply(KISS) defaults to no-op <Open/CloseCmd>s so that the TNC
          is not mucked with.

          > With
          > the above commands sent to the TNC, you could have aprsis32
          > put the TNC in KISS mode when it starts and take it out of KISS
          > mode when it exists, leaving it in a usable state for other programs.

          See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-kpc-3 as the KPC-3+ uses those same
          commands. Or just do them manually and do the Simply(KISS)-type port
          and all should be well until I get explicit default command support in
          for the various TNCs.

        • kd5njr
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
            Hi Keith, et. all

            Sorry for the confusion, but I had left some extra lines in that log excerpt to show that the TNC was infact working.

            My problem is getting the radio into KISS mode. As you can see below, the command (at least it is in our copy of the instruction manual) is KISSMODE ON.

            But we got an error as shown below

            > > cmd:
            > > cmd:KISSMODE ON
            > > $
            > > EH?
            > > cmd:

            But, we'll try again with
            INTFACE KISS
            RESET

            and then exit Hyperterminal and start APRSIS with our Simply KISS config.

            We're working on a KAM. Says Kantronics All Mode on the front.

            FCC ID b2f8rb-kam

            serial number 100 06932

            ver = kam-80803110-6.1

            73
            KD5NJR
            Scott
          • mm1ptt
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
              I have a really old KAM, IIRC its firmware version 2.0. I only use it in KISS mode so it doesn't matter about the firmware version.

              To get it into KISS mode I use the command: KISSMODE ON
              I know newer KAM's use INTFACE KISS or INTFACE XKISS.

              Chris MM1PTT.

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kd5njr" <kd5njr@...> wrote:

              > Hi Keith, et. all
              >

              > Sorry for the confusion, but I had left some extra lines in that log excerpt to show that the TNC was infact working.
              >
              > My problem is getting the radio into KISS mode. As you can see below, the command (at least it is in our copy of the instruction manual) is KISSMODE ON.
              >
              > But we got an error as shown below
              >

              > > > cmd:
              > > > cmd:KISSMODE ON
              > > > $
              > > > EH?
              > > > cmd:
              > > >

              > But, we'll try again with
              > INTFACE KISS
              > RESET
              >
              > and then exit Hyperterminal and start APRSIS with our Simply KISS config.
              >
              > We're working on a KAM. Says Kantronics All Mode on the front.
              >
              > FCC ID b2f8rb-kam
              >
              > serial number 100 06932
              >
              > ver = kam-80803110-6.1
              >
              > 73
              > KD5NJR
              > Scott

            • kd5njr
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
                We're learning to crawl before we run.

                We got John running with that KAM Monday evening.
                There are a few nearby stations that he hears along with the Tulsa digi.

                Thanks for the help everyone.
                Scott
                KD5NJR