OSM Maps I cry UNCLE

  • kc8sfq@mei.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hi Guys,

      First a little story:
      In my ARES group we have an operator who can't program her radio, she's not even real sure how to hook it up. she can't build an antenna and can't copy CW. We don't tell her to go fish, we help her. Why?? Because she is always there when we need help. She is a good operator and in fact, she's a damn good Net Control Operator. Give her a mic and she runs the net and makes it look easy. She brings a lot to the table, That makes her worthy of help

      Now: Let me begin by saying that I love maps and want real time mapping really bad. That basic capability has been around for a while (Delorme). The next logical step would be APRS. I really like APRSIS32, I believe it has awesome potential and is far and away the best thing I have found. That being said, I have been trying to get APRSIS32 to load two map sets, or to run two instances, or any thing that will give me a day and a night set of maps. I have been fighting this battle since Thanksgiving day. I have read the Wiki front to back and sideways. I've tried everything I can think of and have even tried any combination of things that presents a button to click. I have hosed up the program and had to reload at least 4 times just to get back to square 0 so I could start again. I have spent every spare moment I've had since Thanksgiving day. I have spent over 15 hours on this so far (I kept score). I don't want to burn any bridges here, but at this point, my frustration has exceeded my desire to run APRS on the road. The last time I hit a wall like this, I shelved the idea of APRS for over 4 years.

      I can get on the web and down load the program, expand it and load map tiles. I can even change the default map set to "Midnight Command". I pan around and zoom a bit and build a rudimentary set of the dark map tiles. At some point, (I think on exit) I am told to create or locate an OSM file. I have tried the "save" that is presented. I have clicked the little button that says create new blank file. What ever I do, when I close and take the flash drive on which i am running APRSIS32 and insert it into the Internet-less computer and start APRSIS32, it comes up with the "ORIGINAL" tile set even though the window under configure/ maps says "midnight Command" complete with Name, URL and everything. When I take the flash drive back to the Internet enabled machine and try to open that APRSIS32 instance again, I get a "DONK" and a window that says APRSIS32 is not a valid Win32 program.

      I expect that what I'm missing is so simple that no one thinks it worthy of mention.

      If someone would care to help, please do. On or off list, your choice. Either way, I'm done fishing, and pretty close to done all together.

      I have come to the conclusion that if 15 hours is not enough to get this simple task accomplished, then perhaps APRS is not yet ready for prime time. Most operators wouldn't work this hard. Maybe, I need to go back and work on my copying skills with the ORIGINAL digital mode.

      73 KC8SFQ  Ron
    • Mike (WM4B)
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012

        Ron,

        I’m sure you’ve thought of this already, but is your flash drive mapped the same on both machines?  (e.g. your flash drive is G: on both computers)?

        What OS are you running?

        73,

        Mike

        WM4B

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012
          Win 7 for the internet and XP for off line. No idea how to map? a flash drive (not familiar with that term either.)

          73 Ron
          +++++++++++++

        • Mike (WM4B)
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012
            Ron,

            I just tried an experiment. On my laptop, I have a working version of
            APRS32 with three tile sets (Original, Mapquest and Mapquest Aerial).

            APRS32 is installed in c:\Ham Radio\APRSIS

            I also have tile sets installed on the laptop in
            C:/Users/Mike/Documents/OSMTiles, C:/Users/Mike/Documents/OSMMapQuest, and
            C:/Users/Mike/Documents/OSMMapQuestAerial.

            I took a thumbdrive and created a directory called Ham Radio. The
            thumbdrive is mapped as E:. I then copied the entire APRSIS directory to
            E:/Ham Radio.

            I then copied C:/Users/Mike/Documents/OSMTiles,
            C:/Users/Mike/Documents/OSMMapQuest, and
            C:/Users/Mike/Documents/OSMMapQuestAerial to
            E:/OSMTiles, E:/OSMMapQuest, and E:OSMMapQuestAerial.

            I edited apris32.xml to replace every instance of C: with E:. I also had to
            edit the path for the tiles (1 in <OSM.Path> and 3 in <Path>.

            Once I did all this, I ran APRSIS from the thumbdrive and it worked
            perfectly. I was able to select each of the tile sets.

            Then I took the thumbdrive to another computer. The thumbdrive mapped as
            I:. I opened the .xml file to replace E: with I: and ran APRSIS from the
            thumb drive. Again, it ran fine.

            Check your paths on the thumbdrive... I suspect that's where the problem
            lies.

            73,

            Mike
            WM4B

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012

              Ron,

              You said you were running the program off a flashdrive.

              Mike

              WM4B

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012
                On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

                > In my ARES group we have an operator who can't program her radio, she's
                > not even real sure how to hook it up. she can't build an antenna and can't
                > copy CW. We don't tell her to go fish, we help her. Why?? Because she is
                > always there when we need help. She is a good operator and in fact, she's a
                > damn good Net Control Operator. Give her a mic and she runs the net and
                > makes it look easy. She brings a lot to the table, That makes her worthy of
                > help

                So, to continue the analogy... we're trying to get you to unplug the
                radio in your shack and install it at the EMCOMM office. When you have
                the radio in your shack, it is to your right. At the EMCOMM office,
                the radio ends up on your left. All we are asking you to do is to turn
                left instead of to the right to look at the radio.

                This isn't rocket science, but you keep on turning to the right, and
                complaining that your radio is missing...

                Okay, it's not quite that, but when we get this working for you,
                you'll probably be able to understand the analogy.

                > That
                > being said, I have been trying to get APRSIS32 to load two map sets, or to
                > run two instances, or any thing that will give me a day and a night set of
                > maps. I have been fighting this battle since Thanksgiving day. I have read
                > the Wiki front to back and sideways. I've tried everything I can think of
                > and have even tried any combination of things that presents a button to
                > click. I have hosed up the program and had to reload at least 4 times just
                > to get back to square 0 so I could start again. I have spent every spare
                > moment I've had since Thanksgiving day. I have spent over 15 hours on this
                > so far (I kept score). I don't want to burn any bridges here, but at this
                > point, my frustration has exceeded my desire to run APRS on the road. The
                > last time I hit a wall like this, I shelved the idea of APRS for over 4
                > years.

                Well, you haven't tried the correct sequence, which is pretty much
                dead simple, and should take no more than 30 minutes of your time.
                Doing it all the convoluted and incorrect way take much more time,
                which you obviously are intimately aware of now...

                > I can get on the web and down load the program, expand it and load map
                > tiles. I can even change the default map set to "Midnight Command". I pan
                > around and zoom a bit and build a rudimentary set of the dark map tiles. At
                > some point, (I think on exit) I am told to create or locate an OSM file.

                No clue what you are doing there because locating the OSM file is much
                closer to a first step in setting up a tile set, not a shut down step.

                > I expect that what I'm missing is so simple that no one thinks it worthy
                > of mention.

                Yup, probably...

                > If someone would care to help, please do. On or off list, your choice.
                > Either way, I'm done fishing, and pretty close to done all together.

                Do you have any teenagers in your neighborhood? One of them could
                probably sit down at your computer and have the program up and running
                in about 30 minutes flat with no knowledge of the program at all...
                Not trying to knock you or your abilities, but teens and computers are
                kind of like kids and childproof caps on pills... they just work well
                together.

                > I have come to the conclusion that if 15 hours is not enough to get this
                > simple task accomplished, then perhaps APRS is not yet ready for prime time.

                APRS is ready for prime time... It has been for 20 years. APRSISCE/32
                is also ready for prime time, it is one of the easiest APRS programs
                to get up and running. You just have to follow the instructions. Many
                people have problems doing so because they have been conditioned to
                attempt to jump through other hoops, and can not wrap their head
                around the fact that it is possible to write a program that can simply
                be run, rather than installed.

                > Most operators wouldn't work this hard. Maybe, I need to go back and work on
                > my copying skills with the ORIGINAL digital mode.

                I'd be pretty darned impressed if you could send and receive at 120
                characters per minute, and then take the information copied, scratch
                an X on the map in the appropriate place, and keep that up for hours
                on end.

                CW takes a lot of work and dedication... I can't say that I can do it.
                It's far too much work and effort... I like letting the computer do
                all the work. I bet you've invested much more than 15 hours into your
                CW skill set.

                If you want to send me a private message with a phone number, I can
                try and walk you through getting APRSISCE/32 running on your flash
                drive. I'll walk through it on my machine with a flash drive at the
                same time.

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012
                  Ron KC8SFQ wrote...

                  > Win 7 for the internet and XP for off line. No idea how
                  > to map? a flash drive (not familiar with that term either.)

                  It doesn't matter with XP, but where do you have it "installed"
                  on the Windows 7 machine? Somewhere other than below
                  Program Files, I hope? The operating system doesn't like
                  anything writing to folders below there. This is just one
                  possible source of problems, but an easy one to deal with
                  if that's what you are running into.

                  However, going back to your earlier message, I take it
                  that you have aprsis32 on a flash drive, download the maps
                  with it connected to the Windows 7 machine and then take
                  it over to the XP machine.

                  > I have tried the "save" that is presented. I have clicked the
                  > little button that says create new blank file. What ever I do,
                  > when I close and take the flash drive on which I am running
                  > APRSIS32 and insert it into the Internet-less computer and
                  > start APRSIS32, it comes up with the "ORIGINAL" tile set
                  > even though the window under configure/ maps says "midnight
                  > Command" complete with Name, URL and everything. When
                  > I take the flash drive back to the Internet enabled machine
                  > and try to open that APRSIS32 instance again, I get a "DONK"
                  > and a window that says APRSIS32 is not a valid
                  > Win32 program.

                  OK... so you don't have the program below Program Files.
                  However, does the flash drive have a different drive letter
                  on each machine? Does aprsis32 use relative or absolute paths
                  for anything that it saves?

                  If you need to change the drive letter on the XP machine,
                  right-click on My Computer and select MANAGE and
                  then on STORAGE and DISK MANAGEMENT. Right-click
                  on the drive letter that you want to change and click on
                  CHANGE DRIVE LETTER and then (finally!) on CHANGE.
                  Perhaps having the drive letter the same on both computers
                  will help the situation.

                  I'm sure it will be "similar but different" to change it on
                  the Windows 7 machine!

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  www.ui-view.org
                • Rob Giuliano
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012
                    I am quite confident that talking with James will get you going, but one disadvantage is the others don't get the benefit of his/your help.  That is one of the reasons for the list and all the traffic.

                    On the other hand, sometimes a little "personal attention" is the only cure, but we would ALL appreciate the wisdom that comes out of it.  This could be update/solution to the list or some updates to the wiki which may help clarify.

                    I joined the thread a little late, but I do run APRSIS32 from a thumb drive and my solution can be summed up with:
                       "RELATIVE DIRECTORY REFERENCES"
                    Which has to be done by editing the XML file directly.  I think I even post this, but I'm sure it was some time ago.

                    First, 2 things about the XML file:
                       1. The OSM section is for the CURRENT selected tile set
                               "Open Set Maps"         (not really but it helps)
                       2.  Each Tile set has its own section

                    OSM section is using relative paths:
                       Note the dot "." before the slash indicating the current directory.
                           This is set to TileServer[1] in this example
                    <OSM.Zoom>11</OSM.Zoom>
                    <OSM.Percent>50</OSM.Percent>
                    <OSM.MinMBFree>8</OSM.MinMBFree>
                    <OSM.PurgeDisabled>0</OSM.PurgeDisabled>
                    <OSM.Name>Aerial</OSM.Name>
                    <OSM.Server>oatile3.mqcdn.com</OSM.Server>
                    <OSM.Port>80</OSM.Port>
                    <OSM.URLPrefix>/naip/</OSM.URLPrefix>
                    <OSM.SupportsStatus>0</OSM.SupportsStatus>
                    <OSM.Path>./Aerial/</OSM.Path>
                    <OSM.PurgeEnabled>0</OSM.PurgeEnabled>
                    <OSM.RetainDays>1</OSM.RetainDays>
                    <OSM.RetainZoom>6</OSM.RetainZoom>
                    <OSM.MinServerZoom>0</OSM.MinServerZoom>
                    <OSM.MaxServerZoom>18</OSM.MaxServerZoom>
                    <OSM.RevisionHours>0</OSM.RevisionHours>

                    TileServer[0] section is also using complete paths:
                      This will cause a problem if the drive letter changes when swapping USB drives.
                    <!--TileServer[0]-->
                    <TileServer Name="Original">
                    <Server>tile.openstreetmap.org</Server>
                    <Port>80</Port>
                    <URLPrefix>/</URLPrefix>
                    <SupportsStatus>1</SupportsStatus>
                    <Path>C:/MyApps/Radio/APRSIS32/OSMTiles/</Path>
                    <PurgeEnabled>1</PurgeEnabled>
                    <RetainDays>7</RetainDays>
                    <RetainZoom>5</RetainZoom>
                    <MinServerZoom>0</MinServerZoom>
                    <MaxServerZoom>18</MaxServerZoom>
                    <RevisionHours>0</RevisionHours>
                    </TileServer>
                    <!--TileServer[0]-->

                    TileServer[1]  section is also using relative paths:
                    <!--TileServer[1]-->
                    <TileServer Name="Aerial">
                    <Server>oatile3.mqcdn.com</Server>
                    <Port>80</Port>
                    <URLPrefix>/naip/</URLPrefix>
                    <SupportsStatus>0</SupportsStatus>
                    <Path>./Aerial/</Path>
                    <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
                    <RetainDays>1</RetainDays>
                    <RetainZoom>6</RetainZoom>
                    <MinServerZoom>0</MinServerZoom>
                    <MaxServerZoom>18</MaxServerZoom>
                    <RevisionHours>0</RevisionHours>
                    </TileServer>
                    <!--TileServer[1]-->

                    Make sure the operating system doesn't prevent writing.  This has been talked about on the list a lot with Windows 7 and the Program Files directory.
                    I've seen this issue that crop up relating to virus protection or other operating system "GOTCHAs" and thumb drives.

                    Please don't just throw in the towel, even though it is frustrating.
                      1 Others will learn "WITH YOU", and
                      2 I'm sure your example "Net Control Operator" would enjoy learning how to connect the antenna and the other aspects.
                            When she is ready or needs it - she will probably need some help and patience while she learns.
                            She's very likely already doing it at her own pace, watching others and such.
                         You appear to be under a bit of pressure (or at least feel you are).
                         That seldom helps.

                    Hope the XML info helps!
                      Oh, and 4 years is too long.  You have to starting over, and a lot has probably changed.
                       Hopefully a short break and back at it under relaxed conditions will clear your mind and move things forward before they all change.

                    Robert Giuliano
                    KB8RCO

                    On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM, <mailto:kc8sfq%40mei.net> wrote:

                    > In my ARES group we have an operator who can't program her radio, she's
                    > not even real sure how to hook it up. she can't build an antenna and can't
                    > copy CW. We don't tell her to go fish, we help her. Why?? Because she is
                    > always there when we need help. She is a good operator and in fact, she's a
                    > damn good Net Control Operator. Give her a mic and she runs the net and
                    > makes it look easy. She brings a lot to the table, That makes her worthy of
                    > help

                    So, to continue the analogy... we're trying to get you to unplug the
                    radio in your shack and install it at the EMCOMM office. When you have
                    the radio in your shack, it is to your right. At the EMCOMM office,
                    the radio ends up on your left. All we are asking you to do is to turn
                    left instead of to the right to look at the radio.

                    This isn't rocket science, but you keep on turning to the right, and
                    complaining that your radio is missing...

                    Okay, it's not quite that, but when we get this working for you,
                    you'll probably be able to understand the analogy.

                    > That
                    > being said, I have been trying to get APRSIS32 to load two map sets, or to
                    > run two instances, or any thing that will give me a day and a night set of
                    > maps. I have been fighting this battle since Thanksgiving day. I have read
                    > the Wiki front to back and sideways. I've tried everything I can think of
                    > and have even tried any combination of things that presents a button to
                    > click. I have hosed up the program and had to reload at least 4 times just
                    > to get back to square 0 so I could start again. I have spent every spare
                    > moment I've had since Thanksgiving day. I have spent over 15 hours on this
                    > so far (I kept score). I don't want to burn any bridges here, but at this
                    > point, my frustration has exceeded my desire to run APRS on the road. The
                    > last time I hit a wall like this, I shelved the idea of APRS for over 4
                    > years.

                    Well, you haven't tried the correct sequence, which is pretty much
                    dead simple, and should take no more than 30 minutes of your time.
                    Doing it all the convoluted and incorrect way take much more time,
                    which you obviously are intimately aware of now...

                    > I can get on the web and down load the program, expand it and load map
                    > tiles. I can even change the default map set to "Midnight Command". I pan
                    > around and zoom a bit and build a rudimentary set of the dark map tiles. At
                    > some point, (I think on exit) I am told to create or locate an OSM file.

                    No clue what you are doing there because locating the OSM file is much
                    closer to a first step in setting up a tile set, not a shut down step.

                    > I expect that what I'm missing is so simple that no one thinks it worthy
                    > of mention.

                    Yup, probably...

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012
                      Right on top, Thank you to all who responded to help try to drag me up from the doldrums of my depression. Please excuse the rant. I was flumoxed beyond belief. God, I love ham radio and the people in it.

                      Lynn contacted me off list and we had a delightful conversation. He has cleared up a lot of stuff and as you said, it isn't rocket science. In talking with Lynn on the twisted pair it is a hoot to hear the enthusiasm in his voice as he talks about his program. It is clearly a labor of love for him.

                      > This isn't rocket science, but you keep on turning to the right, and
                      > complaining that your radio is missing...

                      That was because the only time I found it, it WAS on the right. *BUT* I was making it harder than it is.

                      > Doing it all the convoluted and incorrect way take much more time,
                      > which you obviously are intimately aware of now...

                      Yeah, you're right, but remember: To the man who has only a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. I now have a few more tools in my tool kit.

                      > No clue what you are doing there because locating the OSM file is much
                      > closer to a first step in setting up a tile set, not a shut down step.

                      Lynn had me dump everything I had been trying to do, and start from scratch. As you and I'd talked before, Once you know how, it ain't hard.

                      >> I expect that what I'm missing is so simple that no one thinks it worthy
                      >> of mention.

                      It was.

                      > Do you have any teenagers in your neighborhood?

                      SURE, there's what I need, A teenager. One of the delightful things about F.I.R.S.T robotics is that I spend several hours a week mentoring teens. Among other things, it reminds me how glad i am that my son is no longer a teenager, and has kids of his own. One of my grand sons is almost a teen, That's going to be fun to watch. Did I mention that being a grandpa is God's reward for not eating your kids?

                      > Not trying to knock you or your abilities, but teens and computers are
                      > kind of like kids and childproof caps on pills...

                      Yup, That's a pretty accurate assessment. They blow me away. It's probably because they have never been in a world without computers. I, on the other hand, can remember getting my first transistor radio. It was about the size of a cigar box (probably another forgotten reference, like a "can" of oil) It weighed about 5 pounds, used a ton of "D" batteries and received TWO stations. But, I digress.

                      You just have to follow the instructions. Many
                      > people have problems doing so because they have been conditioned to
                      > attempt to jump through other hoops, and can not wrap their head
                      > around the fact that it is possible to write a program that can simply
                      > be run, rather than installed.

                      You called it again. That was my problem. Of course, the real test will come tomorrow when I try to do it again.

                      > I'd be pretty darned impressed if you could send and receive at 120
                      > characters per minute,

                      Me too. When I'm on a hot streak, I can copy about 50 or 60 in short bursts (8-10 WPM)

                      > CW takes a lot of work and dedication...

                      It *does*, but I have to say that CW, done well, is truly a thing of beauty.

                      >I bet you've invested much more than 15 hours into your
                      > CW skill set.

                      Such as it is, I have indeed, and it ain't enough, yet.

                      > If you want to send me a private message with a phone number, I can
                      > try and walk you through getting APRSISCE/32 running on your flash
                      > drive. I'll walk through it on my machine with a flash drive at the
                      > same time.

                      James: Thank you for the kind offer, Lynn and I have just had that conversation. APRSIS32 is up and running, and indeed it was easier than I was trying to make it. In fact, Lynn even gave me a homework assignment. More on that later.

                      Lynn: A later development: I'm still not sure what I did, but it is now running from the memory key. Both tile sets and it has survived across a couple of restarts and power cycles of the Tough book. I *did* notice that zoomed ALL the way out I have the blank map we discussed, but one click in and it's all there. What got me to zoom in was a funny squiggle that was the only thing I could see. It turned out to be the ISS foot print. Is that intentional, like running the opacity all the way down and seeing the polar(?) projection?

                       For anyone still reading, Here's a little tip from Lynn. Restore the program before closing. (the little page looking thing in the upper right corner of the screen that toggles to full screen.) I don't recall exactly why, but the program is happier if you do. We all want our programs to be happy, don't we?

                      Let me say one more time, Lynn. Thank You for the time and the laughs. I hung up the phone with the feeling that I have a new friend in Florida. I'm going to pay for this when that d@~ned noise maker goes off four hours from now, but it was worth it. I hope you feel that way too.

                      73 and Thanks, KC8SFQ  Ron
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 28, 2012
                        On 11/29/2012 1:26 AM, kc8sfq@... wrote:

                        Lynn: A later development: I'm still not sure what I did, but it is now running from the memory key. Both tile sets and it has survived across a couple of restarts and power cycles of the Tough book. I *did* notice that zoomed ALL the way out I have the blank map we discussed, but one click in and it's all there. What got me to zoom in was a funny squiggle that was the only thing I could see. It turned out to be the ISS foot print. Is that intentional, like running the opacity all the way down and seeing the polar(?) projection?

                        AH!  You need to zoom the whole way out on an Internet-connected PC.  I suspect the world-level tile (and maybe even a few other way-out zooms) have not been cached yet.

                         For anyone still reading, Here's a little tip from Lynn. Restore the program before closing. (the little page looking thing in the upper right corner of the screen that toggles to full screen.) I don't recall exactly why, but the program is happier if you do. We all want our programs to be happy, don't we?

                        APRSISCE/32 only records the current window size and position if it is not maximized when it is closed.  Unfortunately, this also means that the current center position and View settings are also not recorded.  For now, if you make sure it is restored before closing, all is well.

                        Let me say one more time, Lynn. Thank You for the time and the laughs. I hung up the phone with the feeling that I have a new friend in Florida. I'm going to pay for this when that d@~ned noise maker goes off four hours from now, but it was worth it. I hope you feel that way too.

                        Yeah, I thought you were going to bed!  I'm still on the call to my son catching up with him and doing remote assistance on cable modem and router configurations.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 29, 2012
                          Not knowing which tile sets are in use, I will add a comment or two ...

                          The original OSM Tiles cover from zoom 0 to 20. APRSIS32 works with 0 - 18.

                          Not all tile sets cover that range. Some start at 5 or 12 or something else and increase to 15, 16 or something else again.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 30, 2012

                            Hi Rob, You wrote:
                            >............ one disadvantage is the others don't get the benefit of
                            his/your help.  That
                            > is one of the reasons for the list and all the traffic.

                            Quite true, I have learned a lot just by lurking here.

                            > On the other hand, sometimes a little "personal attention" is the only cure,

                            I had a delightful evening with Lynn on the phone that night and gained a LOT. (even if he did keep me up past my bed time.)

                            > but we would ALL appreciate the wisdom that comes out of it. This could be update/solution to the list or some updates to the wiki which
                            may
                            > help clarify.

                            And so you shall, That is the homework assignment Lynn gave me. I am working on a posting that will look at various tasks, Click by Click. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to upload it to the wiki assuming it turns out to be worthy. I am not a writer, so we will see. The likely scenario is that I'll post it here, asking for peer review. It will assume almost no computer savvy. I have already decided on a name for it. "EDCA" Every Darn Click Almost. As in "EDCA map tiles" The trick as I see it is for me to get it done before I become TOO knowledgeable and thus loose the neophyte's lack of understanding.

                            >my solution can be summed up with:
                            >    "RELATIVE DIRECTORY REFERENCES"
                            > Which has to be done by editing the XML file directly.  I think I even post this, but I'm sure it was some time ago.

                            I'll have to go over this a time or two, from here it looks pretty intimidating.

                            >  2.  Each Tile set has its own section

                            Working with Lynn the other evening, I caught that part, although if it still a bit fuzzy yet.

                            > Make sure the operating system doesn't prevent writing.  This has been talked about on the list a lot with Windows 7 and the Program Files directory

                            That was one of the first things I learned on this list, right after I got the new Win7 laptop for birthday-Christmas-Hanuka (it was a lot of money, so I had to gang up on excuses in order to rationalize the cost)

                            > I've seen this issue that crop up relating to virus protection or other operating system "GOTCHAs" and thumb drives.

                            Yup, Avast wasn't happy about the thumb drive at first.

                            > Please don't just throw in the towel, even though it is frustrating.

                            I have not.....and yes, it is

                            >  1 Others will learn "WITH YOU", and
                            >  2 I'm sure your example "Net Control Operator" would enjoy learning how
                            > to connect the antenna and the other aspects.

                            Actually, she is capable of much more than she lets on, and often simply lacks confidence.

                            > When she is ready or needs it - she will probably need some
                            > help and patience while she learns.

                            We've been helping and being patient with each other for 44 years. She even agreed to be my Guinea pig for the EDCA project. However, it *did* cost me dinner and other projects to be determined. I've read the marriage contract and I can't find that paragraph. <G>

                            >You appear to be under a bit of pressure (or at least feel you are)

                            Not pressure really, there's no deadline. It was just frustration. I seldom let my self get that frustrated. I'm a VERY Newtonian guy. If it's a physical object, I can probably tear the cover off, figure it out and fix it, rebuild it or build a new one. Software, on the other hand are very much a construct of the mind. There's no cover to tear off to see what it's doing. That's why what Lynn (and others here) do, in building software, just blows me away.

                            > Hope the XML info helps!

                            New stuff to figure out.

                            >  Oh, and 4 years is too long.  You have to starting over, and a lot
                            > has probably changed.

                            My previous foray was with UIVIEW, and yes, a lot has changed

                            >  Hopefully a short break and back at it under relaxed conditions will
                            > clear your mind and move things forward before they all change.

                            Yeah, the break lasted just about through the next work day. I came home that evening and went at it again, with renewed vigor. That was due, largely, to the fact that the guy who wrote this cool program was willing to take the time to walk me through the tough spot. Due also in a small part to my own stubbornness. I shall persevere, This is too good a tool for our ARES/RACES group to not have in our tool kit.

                            I told my story of APRSIS32 on our net this week (obviously in much edited form) It looks like we might pick up 4 or 5 new APRS operators. Currently, there is only one other in our club, he is running UIVIEW. We did have a nice APRS message QSO after the club FM net Thursday evening.

                            73, KC8SFQ  Ron
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 30, 2012

                              One of the problems WIKI writers have is knowing too much, we try to aim  for a new user and an advanced user.

                              The more feedback we get the better.

                              Looking forward to seeing your post

                              Steve Daniels

                              Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                              Torbay Freecycle  Owner

> [...]

                              > help and patience while she learns.

                              We've been helping and being patient with each other for 44 years. She even agreed to be my Guinea pig for the EDCA project. However, it *did* cost me dinner and other projects to be determined. I've read the marriage contract and I can't find that paragraph. <G>

                              >You appear to be under a bit of pressure (or at least feel you are)

                              Not pressure really, there's no deadline. It was just frustration. I seldom let my self get that frustrated. I'm a VERY Newtonian guy. If it's a physical object, I can probably tear the cover off, figure it out and fix it, rebuild it or build a new one. Software, on the other hand are very much a construct of the mind. There's no cover to tear off to see what it's doing. That's why what Lynn (and others here) do, in building software, just blows me away.

                              New stuff to figure out.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 30, 2012
                                Glad you are back and all is moving forward.

                                We all look forward to the fruits of you new assignment   ;-)

                                Robert Giuliano
                                KB8RCO

                                <snip>
                              • kc8sfq@mei.net
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 1, 2012
                                  > One of the problems WIKI writers have is knowing too much,........:

                                  While there are many problems in my life, I doubt *that* will be one of them. Certainly for a while at least. <G>

                                  73 KC8SFQ  Ron
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 1, 2012

                                    By which I mean sometimes the WIKI writers sometimes don’t think to include what seems simple to them, but is perhaps not obvious to others.

                                    We do of course add things in when it becomes obvious it’s needed.

                                    Consider yourself a proof reader of the WIKI

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 2, 2012
                                       >sometimes the WIKI writers sometimes don't think to include what seems simple to them, but >is perhaps not obvious to others.

                                      I run into the same thing when I'm teaching someone to weld. I tell them at the outset the same thing I've heard here. "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask".

                                      > We do of course add things in when it becomes obvious it's needed.

                                      I have noticed that, as it has built, in both content and detail.

                                      > Consider yourself a proof reader of the WIKI

                                      Title gladly accepted. Between my dyslexia and ignorance of things computer, that may be the perfect niche for me. It is a place from where I can constructively contribute to this community which has helped me achieve the level I have with APRS in general, and APRSIS32 in particular.

                                      73 KC8SFQ  Ron