Re: [aprsisce] IS to RF gating

  • Colin XSD
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
      Liz  M6EPW uses U2APRS on her Android (she didn't get on with APRSdroid but that was some time ago & I believe it has been updated a lot since then) and I haven't noticed any particularly high beacon rates from her.

      Looking on aprs.fi I see it is saying:    "Packet rate: 154 seconds between packets on average during 7706 seconds."
      which isn't too bad in this sparsely populated APRS area. She does only tend to use it when she is out & about in the fells, so that is about the sort of rate I would expect.

      I will see if I can get Liz to give APRSdroid a try again to see if we see where the problem lies.

      73,
      Colin
      M0XSD.

      On 26/11/2012 01:36, Steve Daniels wrote:

      Not a complaint Lynn . Well not one aimed at you. I have seen 5 or 6  aprsdroid users and they all seem to be set at 10 seconds, so it’s either a default setting or a local user is giving them bad advice, they are all local.

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

    Message 2 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
      I've been using APRSDroid for some months now, albeit intermittently and not for long periods at a time.

      I have yet to find any way to configure the smart beaconing parameters (and I have just had another scan around the settings before creating this reply).

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

      > Liz M6EPW uses U2APRS on her Android (she didn't get on with APRSdroid
      > but that was some time ago & I believe it has been updated a lot since
      > then) and I haven't noticed any particularly high beacon rates from her.
      >
      > Looking on aprs.fi I see it is saying: "Packet rate: 154 seconds
      > between packets on average during 7706 seconds."
      > which isn't too bad in this sparsely populated APRS area. She does only
      > tend to use it when she is out & about in the fells, so that is about
      > the sort of rate I would expect.
      >
      > I will see if I can get Liz to give APRSdroid a try again to see if we
      > see where the problem lies.
      >

      > 73,
      > Colin
      > M0XSD.
      >
      > On 26/11/2012 01:36, Steve Daniels wrote:
      > >
      > > Not a complaint Lynn. Well not one aimed at you. I have seen 5 or 6
      > > aprsdroid users and they all seem to be set at 10 seconds, so it's
      > > either a default setting or a local user is giving them bad advice,
      > > they are all local.
      > >
      > > Steve Daniels
      > >
      > > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
      > >
      > > TorbayFreecycle Owner

      > > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 3 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
        It's faulty smart beaconing settings, I've emailed with the author of Aprsdroid, he's aware, but as of yet unable to get it fixed due to time constraints.

        I'd suggest gentle education to those users. Latest versions of Aprsdroid supports messaging.

        Sadly most don't seem aware of the problem.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        Message 4 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
          Don't forget it can be gotten for free from the website, instead of the market.

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          Message 5 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
            You can't, but it's been requested.

            I run minimum time of 30seconds, and a 2Km distance

            Adam
            KC2ANT

            Message 6 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
              Thanks Adam, I've just downloaded the latest for Liz to try sometime.

              Liz can't wait for the droid version of APRSISCE (he says trying to drag this somewhere near on-topic before Lynn bans me from the Forum).

              73,
              Colin.

              Message 7 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012

                That explains it and hopefully it will get fixed soon, in the mean time I will message the droid users and get them to change to static settings.

                A good example of why APRSIS need to be able to deal with these things.

                I was aware that Lynn plans some major work in the code for IS to RF.

                Not having an android phone, I was not able to test if it was a bug or user error.

                Message 8 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                  My (un)educated guess is smart beaconing.

                  Lowest static setting is minimum is 1 minute (I may have misstated settings earlier) and 1Km. Distance can be set to 0 for time only, but it only excepts whole values, not decimals.

                  Imho aprsisce/32 does a much better job at smart beaconing. (Would hate to stray too far off topic)

                  Adam
                  KC2ANT

                  Message 9 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012

                    Not really off topic, really this is a warning that you need to keep an eye on peoples beaconing rates when Gating IS to RF

                    At the moment the only option is to block the callsign (or not gate IS to RF)

                    I know Lynn is going to deal with it as time permits but until then If you see a new station check their rate

                    Message 10 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                      Or even your own :)

                      Message 11 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012

                        Of course, but perhaps a donation might help with his ability to find some time...? :-)

                        Anyway, while APRSDroid is nice, I have switched to U2APRS because

                        1)the rate settings seem to be more configurable (here in the US I run every 5 mins or 3km)

                        2) the messaging is much easier with the ability to use voice to text. Haven't found if that's an option on the other yet.

                        Eric K9LGE
                        K9LGE-9

                        Message 12 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                          aprsdroid default is 10 min. what might be happening is that the setting is  for
                          geniusbeaconing but the setting for location is set to network - which says
                          that it uses the wifi and cell locationing rather than gps.

                          Message 13 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                            APRSDroid uses GeniusBeaconing? Or SmartBeaconing?

                            Just curious.

                            Fred, N7FMH

                            aprsdroid default is 10 min. what might be happening is that the setting is  for
                            geniusbeaconing but the setting for location is set to network - which says
                            that it uses the wifi and cell locationing rather than gps.

                          • Jerry Wyatt, n7qvu
                            Message 14 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                              >>APRSDroid uses GeniusBeaconing? Or SmartBeaconing?

                              The settings are:
                              1) SmartBeaconing - no options
                              2) Periodic GPS/Network Position - Set in minutes, default=10
                              class="yiv1768659348288081821-26112012">3) Manual Position - Set in minutes, default=10. Can use last GPS position.

                              Hope this helps,
                              Jerry - N7QVU

                              Message 15 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012

                                Whilst Lynn is allowing his concept of GeniusBeaconing to be used by others there are conditions. Note the bold text http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/en-geniusbeaconing

                                To my mind it works better than smart beaconing.

                                I know another developer is using or thinking of using it, don’t recall who but fairly sure not APRSDroid