Re: [aprsisce] HP Pavilion dm4 laptop and Yeasu FT-3000M [ if busy with family, read after Thanksgiving ]

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2012
      Keith N4TRN wrote...

      > I would like to use my laptop as my TNC for next years bike tour(s).
      > Can I use the sound device as a TNC for aprsis?... I plan on buying
      > a data cable from buxcomm (data to usb).

      I'm sure the buxcomm cable would do the job, but if I were going
      to use a software TNC, I think I would be inclined to use a SignaLink
      USB instead of the laptop's own sound card. Yes, it's an extra piece
      of hardware, but it leaves the laptop's speaker and sound card for
      other things like reading APRS messages out to you. It probably
      isn't priced much higher than a buxcomm cable. One cable to the
      radio. One USB cable to the laptop. No power cable needed.
      No need to fiddle with the radio's volume control. Besides, you
      can use it for many other modes too.

      > I did read your info on compatible hard/software. My Yaesu
      > FT-3000M is not listed, does that mean it will not work?

      The FT-3000M will be just fine. It has a 6 pin mini-Din "data"
      connector on the back. This is the best way to interface with any
      radio that has this connector. No messing around with multiple
      cables, mic connectors, speaker out, setting the volume control
      just right, and so on.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH