TT4/FT7900 transmit (was: password KB7STN)

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
      You mentioned that the radio says "packet" on the front. Have you
      listened with another radio tuned to the proper frequency to hear if
      there is any transmitted audio on that carrier? And does it sound like
      the other packets you're hearing on that channel?

      I believe the TT4 has an output "volume" setting similar to RXAMP for
      receive as well as a mode where it will transmit tones without packets
      (it might be CALibrate?). It may be that you're not actually delivering
      the audio to the proper pin on your radio to correspond with the PTT
      that you are triggering. Or delivering audio of insufficient level.

      I don't own an FT7900, so I'm also moving this discussion to the Yahoo
      group in the hopes that someone there has direct experience with your
      particular radio.

      PS. Those trace logs are correct and it is a very good sign that the
      radio keys up. Now we just have to ascertain that the carrier is
      properly modulated and not over-driven. And then you'll have to tackle
      the antenna and range questions to the nearest digipeater. And then
      consider the path that you are using and what is appropriate for your
      fixed station's location, ypically WIDE2-1 for a fixed station or
      WIDE2-2 if you're in a sparse area. WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is typically only
      recommended for mobile operation.

      On 11/24/2012 10:22 AM, Larry Overcast wrote:
      > When i initiate a transmit from the aprsis32 program the trace
      > transmit displays:
      >
      > 2012-11-24T15:20:00.376 Transmit(IS+RF)
      > KB7STN-3>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:@152000h4853.03N/11155.64WIAPRS-IS for
      > Win32
      > 2012-11-24T15:20:00.376 Transmit(INT)
      > KB7STN-3>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:@152000h4853.03N/11155.64WIAPRS-IS for
      > Win32
      >
      > And the Yaesu ft7900 keys up.

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
        Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

        > I don't own an FT7900, so I'm also moving this discussion
        > to the Yahoo group in the hopes that someone there has
        > direct experience with your particular radio.

        The FT-7900 has a 6 pin mini-DIN "data" connector on the
        back, so it's easy to connect any TNC. Pin 1 is the transmit
        audio. 40 mV p-p should be used for 1200 bps. The FT-1500
        was the last mono-band radio that I'm aware of that has this
        "data" connector. Most of the dual band radios, including the
        FT-7900, still have one on the back. It sure makes it a lot
        easier to interface a TNC or whatever with the radio. One
        connector. Fits a bunch of (these days, dual-band) radios and
        no messing around. For the FT-7900... menu 26 and set the
        packet speed to 1200 instead of 9600 bps. Menu 25... turn the
        mic off while using packet if you are in the habit of leaving
        the mic plugged in.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Bob Burns W9RXR
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
          At 12:52 PM 11/24/2012, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

          >The FT-1500 was the last mono-band radio that I'm aware of that has
          >this "data" connector.

          The Yaesu FT-1500 may possibly be the last single-band radio with the
          6-pin mini-DIN connector for an external TNC, but the Alinco DR-135,
          DR-235, and DR-435, which are still in production, still have a DB-9
          connector that provides the same functionality.

          Bob...
        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
            Bob W9RXR wrote...

            > The Yaesu FT-1500 may possibly be the last single-band radio with the
            > 6-pin mini-DIN connector for an external TNC, but the Alinco DR-135,
            > DR-235, and DR-435, which are still in production, still have a DB-9
            > connector that provides the same functionality.

            I have a couple of DR-135s. One has a T2-135 in it and it's used
            with UI-View. The other is using audio in / out, COS & PTT via
            the DE-9 on the radio for IRLP. It works, but I consider the 6 pin
            mini-DIN the standard.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            www.ui-view.org