Re: [aprsisce] New computer, new challanges

  • Greg Dolkas
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 22, 2012
      On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

      I'm SO glad you do, That is what makes this program and this forum such a wonderful place. I have learned skills and undertaken projects that I never would have considered without all the help. Often what I am learning is rudimentary. My study of electronics pretty much stopped when the field effect transistor was the new, hot thing. One of the many reasons I am a welder and not an E.E. is the 17" Picket slide rule.

      One of the reasons I went into computer engineering was the Pickett slide rule.  Learned how to use one in the 4th grade (if I recall), and thought it was the greatest piece of technology ever invented.  Knowing how to use it made one a member of a select and secret society.  I still have the one I got in college (10" bamboo).  Used it when taking my Advanced license test years ago, just because I could.

      Now, if I could figure out all this GUI / Object Oriented stuff, I'd be all set.  To me, C++ means "increment C"...

      Greg  KO6TH

    • kc8sfq@mei.net
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 22, 2012
        Hi Greg, You Wrote
        > ....... Pickett slide rule. Knowing how to use it made one a member of a select and secret society.

        Kind of like CW

         I still have the one
        > I got in college (10" bamboo).

        I just went and looked at mine. It's 12" not 17". As with a lot of things as we age, It's not as big as I remember.

         Used it when taking my Advanced license
        > test years ago, just because I could.

        At least, you didn't have to flush the memory before the test <G>

        73 Ron KC8SFQ