Re: [aprsisce] General purpose APRS mailing list?

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 2012
      At 05:24 AM 2012-11-22, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

      Unlike the Kenwood APRS radios, Yaesu doesn't provide external access to the internal TNC.  The VX-8 family is completely internal while the FTM-350 at least will provide output of the decoded APRS packets.  None of the current Yaesu radios can transmit anything from a program unless you provide your own external TNC and do a standard audio/PTT connection to the radio.

      Ahhh, wow.    I've happily used my D710 to send and receive Winlink 2000 emails.   T

      To me serial port access to the TNC is so fundamental it wouldn't have occurred to me to even ask if it wasn't available.

      Thanks, Tony
    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 22, 2012
        Tell that to those who at the ARRLwho do the product review.  They didn't seem to think it was worth mentioning.

        To me it would be like selling an HT with the jack for an external mic.  Not absolutely necessary, but why would you buy a radio without it.  It provides options.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO