GPS virtual serial port Was: ftm-350 without GPS

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 22, 2012
      At 06:45 AM 11/22/2012, Colin XSD wrote:

      >I think NMEA in/out would be a useful option...

      I agree and I've mentioned it in this group before. That led to a
      discussion of virtual serial ports, but Lynn had hotter irons in the
      fire at the time.

      The problem I have is that while mobile, I run both APRSIS/32 to
      interact with the APRS world through a Kenwood TM-D710 and I run a
      mapping program (Delorme TopoUSA). I have a GPSr connected to the
      D710 and the D710 is connected to a laptop computer. Lynn's fine
      program can read the GPS sentences coming through the D710 so it
      knows where it is. But, TopoUSA is in the dark. My current solution
      is to split the data line coming from the GPSr--one side goes to the
      D710 and the other side goes to a serial port and eventually to the computer.

      But, if APRSIS/32 could pass the GPS sentences out to a virtual
      serial port in the Windows OS, I could eliminate having to
      electrically split the GPS data.

      Bob...
    • dhiren_kf5fpp
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013
        I am using a GPS serial emulator in windows called Franson GPS Gate. It is free. I think this will solve your problem.

        73 de KF5FPP

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

        > At 06:45 AM 11/22/2012, Colin XSD wrote:
        >
        > >I think NMEA in/out would be a useful option...
        >
        > I agree and I've mentioned it in this group before. That led to a
        > discussion of virtual serial ports, but Lynn had hotter irons in the
        > fire at the time.
        >
        > The problem I have is that while mobile, I run both APRSIS/32 to
        > interact with the APRS world through a Kenwood TM-D710 and I run a
        > mapping program (Delorme TopoUSA). I have a GPSr connected to the
        > D710 and the D710 is connected to a laptop computer. Lynn's fine
        > program can read the GPS sentences coming through the D710 so it
        > knows where it is. But, TopoUSA is in the dark. My current solution
        > is to split the data line coming from the GPSr--one side goes to the
        > D710 and the other side goes to a serial port and eventually to the computer.
        >
        > But, if APRSIS/32 could pass the GPS sentences out to a virtual
        > serial port in the Windows OS, I could eliminate having to
        > electrically split the GPS data.
        >
        > Bob...

      • Guilford Jones
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013