HP Pavilion dm4 laptop and Yeasu FT-3000M [ if busy with family, read after Thanksgiving ]

  • KEITH BOYER
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2012

      Hi Lynn,

      I would like to use my laptop as my TNC for next years bike tour(s).  Can I use the sound device as a TNC for aprsis?

      I have a HP Pavilion dm4-1160us laptop with win 7.   The sound device info says that I have a: IDT HD audio CODEC default device.

      I plan on buying a data cable from buxcomm (data to usb).  But I am not sure which one to get.

      I did read your info on compatible hard/software.  My Yeasu FT-3000M is not listed, does that mean it will not work?

      Thanks,

      Keith

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2012
        Keith N4TRN wrote...

        > I would like to use my laptop as my TNC for next years bike tour(s).
        > Can I use the sound device as a TNC for aprsis?... I plan on buying
        > a data cable from buxcomm (data to usb).

        I'm sure the buxcomm cable would do the job, but if I were going
        to use a software TNC, I think I would be inclined to use a SignaLink
        USB instead of the laptop's own sound card. Yes, it's an extra piece
        of hardware, but it leaves the laptop's speaker and sound card for
        other things like reading APRS messages out to you. It probably
        isn't priced much higher than a buxcomm cable. One cable to the
        radio. One USB cable to the laptop. No power cable needed.
        No need to fiddle with the radio's volume control. Besides, you
        can use it for many other modes too.

        > I did read your info on compatible hard/software. My Yaesu
        > FT-3000M is not listed, does that mean it will not work?

        The FT-3000M will be just fine. It has a 6 pin mini-Din "data"
        connector on the back. This is the best way to interface with any
        radio that has this connector. No messing around with multiple
        cables, mic connectors, speaker out, setting the volume control
        just right, and so on.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH