ftm-350 without GPS

  • speedyguru2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
      I have a laptop connected to a FTM-350 and APRSIS32 setup to plot the packets from the radio. My laptop gets GPS info from a bluetooth GPS. Is there a way for APRSIS32 to output the GPS information back to the FTM-350? I know the radio supports serial GPS info.

      Thanks,
      Brian
      KJ6ZZY
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
        If you're asking for the GPS information to flow along the existing
        serial cable to the FTM-350, I don't believe the radio supports that.
        The FTM-350 is, IMHO, a very closed platform. We're lucky to be able to
        get the decoded APRS packets out of it!

        Besides, currently APRSISCE/32 doesn't provide any GPS data output.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

        On 11/21/2012 5:36 PM, speedyguru2000 wrote:
        > I have a laptop connected to a FTM-350 and APRSIS32 setup to plot the packets from the radio. My laptop gets GPS info from a bluetooth GPS. Is there a way for APRSIS32 to output the GPS information back to the FTM-350? I know the radio supports serial GPS info.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Brian
        > KJ6ZZY

      • Brian Evans
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
          The radio does support GPS in via the serial link with newer firmware.  But you did answer my question.  Is there any plans on supporting GPS out to radios?

          Thanks,
          Brian
          KJ6ZZY

          If you're asking for the GPS information to flow along the existing
          serial cable to the FTM-350, I don't believe the radio supports that.
          The FTM-350 is, IMHO, a very closed platform. We're lucky to be able to
          get the decoded APRS packets out of it!

          Besides, currently APRSISCE/32 doesn't provide any GPS data output.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

          On 11/21/2012 5:36 PM, speedyguru2000 wrote:
          > I have a laptop connected to a FTM-350 and APRSIS32 setup to plot the packets from the radio. My laptop gets GPS info from a bluetooth GPS. Is there a way for APRSIS32 to output the GPS information back to the FTM-350? I know the radio supports serial GPS info.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Brian
          > KJ6ZZY

            If you're asking for the GPS information to flow along the existing
            serial cable to the FTM-350, I don't believe the radio supports that.
            The FTM-350 is, IMHO, a very closed platform. We're lucky to be able to
            get the decoded APRS packets out of it!

            Besides, currently APRSISCE/32 doesn't provide any GPS data output.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

            On 11/21/2012 5:36 PM, speedyguru2000 wrote:
            > I have a laptop connected to a FTM-350 and APRSIS32 setup to plot the packets from the radio. My laptop gets GPS info from a bluetooth GPS. Is there a way for APRSIS32 to output the GPS information back to the FTM-350? I know the radio supports serial GPS info.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Brian
            > KJ6ZZY

          • Brian Evans
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
              Yes, there are independent settings.  Output can be selected from waypoint, GPS, packet or none while the input is either off or GPS.

              Brian
              KJ6ZZY

              If you're asking for the GPS information to flow along the existing
              serial cable to the FTM-350, I don't believe the radio supports that.
              The FTM-350 is, IMHO, a very closed platform. We're lucky to be able to
              get the decoded APRS packets out of it!

              Besides, currently APRSISCE/32 doesn't provide any GPS data output.

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

              On 11/21/2012 5:36 PM, speedyguru2000 wrote:
              > I have a laptop connected to a FTM-350 and APRSIS32 setup to plot the packets from the radio. My laptop gets GPS info from a bluetooth GPS. Is there a way for APRSIS32 to output the GPS information back to the FTM-350? I know the radio supports serial GPS info.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Brian
              > KJ6ZZY

            • Colin XSD

                If you're asking for the GPS information to flow along the existing
                serial cable to the FTM-350, I don't believe the radio supports that.
                The FTM-350 is, IMHO, a very closed platform. We're lucky to be able to
                get the decoded APRS packets out of it!

                Besides, currently APRSISCE/32 doesn't provide any GPS data output.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                On 11/21/2012 5:36 PM, speedyguru2000 wrote:
                > I have a laptop connected to a FTM-350 and APRSIS32 setup to plot the packets from the radio. My laptop gets GPS info from a bluetooth GPS. Is there a way for APRSIS32 to output the GPS information back to the FTM-350? I know the radio supports serial GPS info.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Brian
                > KJ6ZZY

                If you're asking for the GPS information to flow along the existing
                serial cable to the FTM-350, I don't believe the radio supports that.
                The FTM-350 is, IMHO, a very closed platform. We're lucky to be able to
                get the decoded APRS packets out of it!

                Besides, currently APRSISCE/32 doesn't provide any GPS data output.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                On 11/21/2012 5:36 PM, speedyguru2000 wrote:
                > I have a laptop connected to a FTM-350 and APRSIS32 setup to plot the packets from the radio. My laptop gets GPS info from a bluetooth GPS. Is there a way for APRSIS32 to output the GPS information back to the FTM-350? I know the radio supports serial GPS info.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Brian
                > KJ6ZZY

              • Bob Burns W9RXR
                Message 8 of 10 , Nov 22, 2012
                  At 06:45 AM 11/22/2012, Colin XSD wrote:

                  >I think NMEA in/out would be a useful option...

                  I agree and I've mentioned it in this group before. That led to a
                  discussion of virtual serial ports, but Lynn had hotter irons in the
                  fire at the time.

                  The problem I have is that while mobile, I run both APRSIS/32 to
                  interact with the APRS world through a Kenwood TM-D710 and I run a
                  mapping program (Delorme TopoUSA). I have a GPSr connected to the
                  D710 and the D710 is connected to a laptop computer. Lynn's fine
                  program can read the GPS sentences coming through the D710 so it
                  knows where it is. But, TopoUSA is in the dark. My current solution
                  is to split the data line coming from the GPSr--one side goes to the
                  D710 and the other side goes to a serial port and eventually to the computer.

                  But, if APRSIS/32 could pass the GPS sentences out to a virtual
                  serial port in the Windows OS, I could eliminate having to
                  electrically split the GPS data.

                  Bob...
                • dhiren_kf5fpp
                  Message 9 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013
                    I am using a GPS serial emulator in windows called Franson GPS Gate. It is free. I think this will solve your problem.

                    73 de KF5FPP

                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

                    > At 06:45 AM 11/22/2012, Colin XSD wrote:
                    >
                    > >I think NMEA in/out would be a useful option...
                    >
                    > I agree and I've mentioned it in this group before. That led to a
                    > discussion of virtual serial ports, but Lynn had hotter irons in the
                    > fire at the time.
                    >
                    > The problem I have is that while mobile, I run both APRSIS/32 to
                    > interact with the APRS world through a Kenwood TM-D710 and I run a
                    > mapping program (Delorme TopoUSA). I have a GPSr connected to the
                    > D710 and the D710 is connected to a laptop computer. Lynn's fine
                    > program can read the GPS sentences coming through the D710 so it
                    > knows where it is. But, TopoUSA is in the dark. My current solution
                    > is to split the data line coming from the GPSr--one side goes to the
                    > D710 and the other side goes to a serial port and eventually to the computer.
                    >
                    > But, if APRSIS/32 could pass the GPS sentences out to a virtual
                    > serial port in the Windows OS, I could eliminate having to
                    > electrically split the GPS data.
                    >
                    > Bob...

                  • Guilford Jones
                    Message 10 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013