Maps space vs sector size idea

  • Greg D
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
      Hi Lynn,

      I wonder... I've been using an aging yet trusty HP 100LX Palmtop for
      many years (since 1995, actually), and one of the techniques people use
      to optimize space is to use a compressed drive. The technology of the
      day was Stacker, then came DoubleSpace with Windows. The main purpose
      was to get more space out of the limited drives then available (often up
      to 2x), but a side effect was that the apparent sector size of the
      compressed drive was fairly small.

      Are there any equivalent utilities for WinCE (a verb) that would create
      a new folder with files in it when you CD to it, but look like one big
      file from the outside? That way you wouldn't have to use or invent your
      own database, and you'd have full portability of the contents. Just
      point to it and go.

      Just a thought,

      Greg KO6TH
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
        Not that I know of, but if someone wants to take the time to track down
        such a "container file" approach for Windows Mobile (and optionally
        WinCE, but that's much more unlikely), I'd be glad to learn of it.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012

          I just did a quick test by zipping my OSM directory, you don’t save any space from a file size point of view, but with 22MB of files, size on disk dropped from 27MB to 22MB, so it is worth considering some sort of “packing” for a 20% reduction in disk space used. (I rounded the figures)

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          Not that I know of, but if someone wants to take the time to track down
          such a "container file" approach for Windows Mobile (and optionally
          WinCE, but that's much more unlikely), I'd be glad to learn of it.

          On 11/21/2012 12:10 AM, Greg D wrote:
          > Hi Lynn ,
          >
          > I wonder... I've been using an aging yet trusty HP 100LX Palmtop for
          > many years (since 1995, actually), and one of the techniques people use
          > to optimize space is to use a compressed drive. The technology of the
          > day was Stacker, then came DoubleSpace with Windows. The main purpose
          > was to get more space out of the limited drives then available (often up
          > to 2x), but a side effect was that the apparent sector size of the
          > compressed drive was fairly small.
          >
          > Are there any equivalent utilities for WinCE (a verb) that would create
          > a new folder with files in it when you CD to it, but look like one big
          > file from the outside? That way you wouldn't have to use or invent your
          > own database, and you'd have full portability of the contents. Just
          > point to it and go.
          >
          > Just a thought,
          >
          > Greg KO6TH

        • Patrick Wood

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
                What is the cluster size on your 119G drive?  That'd be the number in () if you double-click an empty space on your map in the space reports for your various tile sets like:

                <Lots of other stuff clipped out>

                Original->D:/OSMTiles/OSMTiles/
                894/7.08MB/9.11MB(*4KB) 253.01GB Free

                MQ Aerial->D:/OSMTiles/MQAerial/
                279/2.84MB/3.41MB(*4KB) 253.01GB Free

                MyOSM->D:/OSMTiles/MyOSM/
                2473/23.96MB/29.59MB(*4KB) 253.01GB Free

                Those are on a 500GB drive, but it's formatted NTFS with a 4KB cluster size, so there's not much waste.  Certainly nothing approaching 50%!

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012

                  My cluster size is 4KB on a 750GB drive NTFS format. The PNGs themselves did not compress it was just using less clusters. As was pointed out I do not have a large amount of files, even so I saved around 20% size on disk.

                  I have plenty of space so it’s not an issue for me. But it’s work looking at for devices with less storage

                  Steve Daniels

                  Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                  Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                  Not that I know of, but if someone wants to take the time to track down
                  such a "container file" approach for Windows Mobile (and optionally
                  WinCE, but that's much more unlikely), I'd be glad to learn of it.

                  On 11/21/2012 12:10 AM, Greg D wrote:
                  > Hi Lynn ,
                  >
                  > I wonder... I've been using an aging yet trusty HP 100LX Palmtop for
                  > many years (since 1995, actually), and one of the techniques people use
                  > to optimize space is to use a compressed drive. The technology of the
                  > day was Stacker, then came DoubleSpace with Windows. The main purpose
                  > was to get more space out of the limited drives then available (often up
                  > to 2x), but a side effect was that the apparent sector size of the
                  > compressed drive was fairly small.
                  >
                  > Are there any equivalent utilities for WinCE (a verb) that would create
                  > a new folder with files in it when you CD to it, but look like one big
                  > file from the outside? That way you wouldn't have to use or invent your
                  > own database, and you'd have full portability of the contents. Just
                  > point to it and go.
                  >
                  > Just a thought,
                  >
                  > Greg KO6TH

                • Patrick Wood
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
                    I have a handful of other tile sets, but this one looks to be the culprit

                    Original->./OSMTiles/
                    1104690/3.41GB/6.20GB(*4KB) 28.86GB Free

                    Looking at it I would bet that a lot of the problem is water tiles.. I think I will have to script a way for my external tile scripts to detect a solid blue tile and remove them.

                    • Paul Davis
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012

                        Hi Lynn,

                        You can use cab files like that.  I’m sure you already know that cab files are just zipped files but they have a different header that will let you use them like an extended partition.   It’s been a long time since I used them like that but if I remember correctly there is a function in .Net 2.0 that makes it really easy.

                        Paul Davis

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
                          Thanks for the suggestion, but .Net functions only make things easy if you're using .net.  APRSISCE/32 is written in 100% straight C with direct Win32 API calls.

                          And I was under the impression that .CABs were designed to be created once and read many times.  With the tile purger, I need some construct that supports efficient update of the contents which is why I'm not even considering a .ZIP-style container.

                          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32