New computer, new challanges

  • kc8sfq@mei.net
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 18, 2012
      Hi Gang,
      I came home from the Ft. Wayne hamfest yesterday as the proud owner of an old Panasonic Toughbook. This is going to be my portable APRSIS32 machine. I have another computer that I currently run in this role and would like to move the map tiles over to the Toughbook.

      My problem is that, thus far, It won't recognize either of my PCI cards (one wired and one wireless)to give me internet access. In operation, this will not be a problem since I am RF only anyway. It IS making setup a bit of a stinker though.

      I have been able to download APRSIS32 on the house computer, dump it to the flash drive (still zipped) and then expand it on the Toughbook. Not so good with moving the map tiles from one computer to the other. An interesting aside for you Lynn: without ANY map tiles, I get caught in a loop between zeroing in to transmit and the "X" to close the program. Without a map, It is never satisfied that I am close enough to see me, and with out trans, it doesn't want to quit.

      What files do I need to copy? More than the one called OSM Tiles? Where do they want to go on the new computer

      I have poked about in the wiki and the archives of this group looking for procedures for setting up the program without internet access, thus far, without much success. I have tried "no internet" and "RF only"

      Could someone please point me to some other search terms?

      My ultimate plan is to run APRSIS32 with a software TNC and have two sets of map tiles for my areas of interest, one for day and a darker one for night.

      Thanks and 73 KC8SFQ Ron
    • kc8sfq@mei.net
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 22, 2012
        Hi Greg, You Wrote
        > ....... Pickett slide rule. Knowing how to use it made one a member of a select and secret society.

        Kind of like CW

         I still have the one
        > I got in college (10" bamboo).

        I just went and looked at mine. It's 12" not 17". As with a lot of things as we age, It's not as big as I remember.

         Used it when taking my Advanced license
        > test years ago, just because I could.

        At least, you didn't have to flush the memory before the test <G>

        73 Ron KC8SFQ