Feature Request for support of Davis Weatherlink output

  • warunck
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
      Hi Lynn,

      Any chance of adding an additional text format to the weather input options?

      I'm trying to create a wxnow.txt file with Davis Weatherlink software so that I can accept weather data from a Vantage Pro 2 console into APRSIS32 and broadcast an APRS weather report via RF. My problem (other than not being a programmer) is that the Davis weather tags create output data with different formats than those used in wxnow.txt. Date structures, decimal places and other elements don't match up and I'm being told that it would require C++ or Javascript programming to convert them during their generation to the desired form.

      Such wizardry is beyond my powers. As Harry Callahan said, a man has got to know his limitations. But if APRSIS32 can parse a wxnow.txt file, maybe it could be made to read something created with the Weatherlink tags? I know some work has been done with the serial cable output from other Davis units, but for those with the Weatherlink IP setup I don't know any other way to get from the weather station to APRS RF.

      I can provide an .htx template and the corresponding .html output file with all of the Davis weather tags if you or anyone else is interested.

      Thanks,
      Walter
      KK4DFZ
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012

        I could probably write a LUA script to do the conversion.

        Lynn intends to support LUA scripting within APRSIS at some point

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012

          What would be involved for the station operator with this approach? I’ll be running an old XP desktop for starters.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012

            Depends how I write the script. I have never compiled one into an exe, will see how to do that.

            But I would prefer not to compile, because when Lynn gets to including Lua within APRSIS it will run a script.

            So for now installing the LUA environment would need, that’s easy enough.

            I could write a script you just leave running and it converts the file every few minutes, or that you call from a scheduler or some such.

            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

            APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikid ot.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012

              If you supply the files so I can have a look, I will have a look at writing something tomorrow, depending on how complex the htx and html files are.

              I assume you are running 32bit XP.

              When it’s working will release it for anyone running the same setup to use

              Torbay Freecycle  Owner

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
              • 1 Attachment
              • 144 KB

              It seems the software will export to a CSV file, although I have trouble finding a manual. That covers this.

              Will it export on a scheduled basis? That would make coding easier.

              That said I could screen scrape as I would have to with the info you provided.

              Do you have your weather displaying on a publicly viewable webpage?

              What I am thinking is that would allow an APRSIS32 user with a station to TX weather to local APRS, but also a user without a weather station to grab from a local weather station..

              All the above said a bit of research found the attached, which might work it’s old written in 2006 for version 5.6

              Torbay Freecycle  Owner

              Message 7 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012

                Progress.

                KK4DFZ-WX is now on IS with APRSIS32 picking up wxnow.txt file created with the Weatherlink module you sent over.

                Now to get the TNC sorted out and put the weather on the air, so to speak.

                Thanks Steve,

                Walter

                Message 8 of 10 , Nov 19, 2012

                  Well for reference I found it here http://www.bpsmicro.com/Files/WXNOW_Generator.htm

                  The last update 6 years ago but VE3BSM is active on APRS

                  Found it whilst searching for a weatherlink manual with export details.

                  Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                  [Attachment(s) from Steve Daniels included below]

                  It seems the software will export to a CSV file, although I have trouble finding a manual. That covers this.

                  Will it export on a scheduled basis? That would make coding easier.

                  That said I could screen scrape as I would have to with the info you provided.

                  Do you have your weather displaying on a publicly viewable webpage?

                  What I am thinking is that would allow an APRSIS32 user with a station to TX weather to local APRS, but also a user without a weather station to grab from a local weather station..

                  All the above said a bit of research found the attached, which might work it’s old written in 2006 for version 5.6

                  < p class="MsoNormal">

                  Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                  Message 9 of 10 , Nov 19, 2012

                    I have no idea what a dll is or how they work, but this one does work and I’m grateful.   Thanks for the help.

                    Since no good deed should go unpunished, maybe you could add this little nugget to the wx part of the wiki? Some Davis operators would likely appreciate it.

                    Message 10 of 10 , Nov 19, 2012

                      DLL is Dynamic Link Library

                      Have update the wiki to include a link to the DLL for Davis users

                      Torbay Freecycle  Owner