Re: [aprsisce] IS- RF Gating

  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 3, 2012
      FWIW the smart beaconing for Aprsdroid needs some work. I normally run mine for a 2 mile distance beacon.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2012
        Folks

        I can't recall what I did to get my iGate going.  Poked around some I guess.   A localish amateur is wanting to also setup an iGate and he's having some troubles.  Which might be his own setup too.

        Is there a checklist or beginners guide to setting up an iGate?  I couldn't see such on the Wiki page.

        I've suggested he join this mailing list but thought I'd get the conversation going before he reads my email and joins up.

        Tony
      • Greg Depew
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2012
          Sorry for the late reply was at work all day. see below.

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
          From: kj4erj@...
          Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 23:57:02 -0400

          What radio is showing your path? I suspect it is showing the unwrapped
          third-party packet.
          I am using the vx8g and  ftm 350, they both say digi(F) TCPIP digi(L) KB3KBR-1*.
          If you check your RF logs in the IGate, do you hear digipeats coming
          back of the 3rd party packet?

          I dont see any digipeats back in either the scroller or both radios. The whole reason i found out about this was that I had both the ftm 350 and the phone tracking me out of rf range of the gate but not my digi. I was getting my objects and beacons from -1 thru the digi -2, and my -9  beacons  as well but no phone beacons until I got into range of the Igate.

          If not, do you even hear digipeats back of your own beacon?
          Yes. I hear the digis of my beacons and objects just not my gated to rf stations.
          What do your radios show of the IGate's beacon as compared to the -IS
          to RF gated 3rd party packet?

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 2012
            There's nothing to do to get the i-gate running. APRSISCE/32 is an
            internet centric program, and as such it EXPECTS to have internet
            access all the time.

            If you add an RF port, by default it ends up being an i-gate. There
            are settings that you can modify to stop the program from acting as an
            i-gate.

            Check the wiki for how to set up an RF port.

            This program is kind of backwards from every other APRS program in
            that respect. The RF portion is the add-on part. Most others are RF
            centric with an internet add-on.

            --
            Sent from my mobile device

          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 4, 2012
              At 07:26 PM 2012-11-03, James Ewen wrote:

              I'm thinking that what you posted would make a good wiki page on that topic for newbies.  It's obvious to you and more experienced folks but not to newbies.

              I'd add to double check that the RF to IS and IS to RF check boxes are checked on the APRS-IS and the radio serial port under Configure >> Ports.

              Tony

              --
              Sent from my mobile device

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 4, 2012
                On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                > I'm thinking that what you posted would make a good wiki page on that
                > topic for newbies. It's obvious to you and more experienced folks but not
                > to newbies.

                I'd have a hard time writing something like that up... perhaps you can
                help with the explanation.

                Here's where I am coming from:

                If someone wants to set up an i-gate, I automatically assume that the
                person making the request knows what an i-gate is. That would be a
                fair assumption, would it not?

                Just to make sure we're on the same page, an i-gate is an APRS
                application configured such that specific packets heard on one
                interface will be gated to the other interface and vice-versa, one of
                those interfaces being RF and the other being the internet.

                Hmm, just defining what an i-gate is above has already helped me out.

                Since APRSISCE/32 is designed to by default have internet access,
                configuring an i-gate has already been described in detail.

                http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration

                There's even a video!

                In all the other APRS programs, setting up an i-gate instructions show
                you how to configure an internet port, and any specific check boxes to
                set properly. For APRSISCE/32, the equivalent would be setting up the
                RF-Port and the specific check boxes. So Julian's video should be what
                you are looking for.

                Again, this all assumes that the person setting up an i-gate knows
                what an i-gate really is. There's no i-gate wizard in the program that
                will drag you through setting things up. The internet side is pretty
                much standard, and automatically assumed as operational. The RF side
                however has many variations depending upon the hardware/software you
                are using to connect to RF via.

                So how do we go about explaining it clearly enough to make sense?

              • Tony VE6MVP
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 4, 2012
                  At 12:51 PM 2012-11-04, James Ewen wrote:

                  Even better.  That's great.   Now edit merge that with your previous reply to me and create a page for newbies.  It may not be perfect but life never is.  It's more than good enough to get going.

                  Note that there is no Igate page under http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:documentation.    Which, in my not so humble opinion, <smile>, there should be.  And you've just provided the content.

                  Tony

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 4, 2012

                    I could put something together if James does not have the time.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 4, 2012
                      You play with the i-gate page and I'll try to add more to the RDF page.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 4, 2012

                        OK James, I have done RDF but not with APRS so you would be the better person to do that

                        I have noticed a few pages that need dealing with KISS port a NEMA and also NWS

                        Will do NWS but as we don’t have it in the UK I will rely on someone correcting any errors and omissions

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 6, 2012
                          Lynn,

                          I'm planning more intense testing today, but I think I'm seeing similar behavior.

                          Adam
                          KC2ANT

                          Sorry for the late reply was at work all day. see below.

                          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                          From: kj4erj@...
                          Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 23:57:02 -0400

                          What radio is showing your path? I suspect it is showing the unwrapped
                          third-party packet.
                          I am using the vx8g and  ftm 350, they both say digi(F) TCPIP digi(L) KB3KBR-1*.
                          If you check your RF logs in the IGate, do you hear digipeats coming
                          back of the 3rd party packet?

                          I dont see any digipeats back in either the scroller or both radios. The whole reason i found out about this was that I had both the ftm 350 and the phone tracking me out of rf range of the gate but not my digi. I was getting my objects and beacons from -1 thru the digi -2, and my -9  beacons  as well but no phone beacons until I got into range of the Igate.

                          If not, do you even hear digipeats back of your own beacon?
                          Yes. I hear the digis of my beacons and objects just not my gated to rf stations.
                          What do your radios show of the IGate's beacon as compared to the -IS
                          to RF gated 3rd party packet?

                          On 11/2/2012 11:22 PM, Greg wrote:
                          > Hi all, Lynn, I have a question about the is - rf gating. I have a filter set to gate everything from KB3KBR. b/KB3KBR* and while it is working ie I can see my Android phone, KB3KBR-10, coming across my radios, it is not being digipeated even though my path is set at wide1-1,wide 2-2. The path that is being shown in my radios is TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*. I'm not sure if I messed something up somewhere or what.
                          >

                          > My igate filter is showing:
                          > WinMain:2012-11-03T03:22:01.869 Considering:KB3KBR-10(IS) I: 2
                          > WinMain:2012-11-03T03:22:01.869 IStoRF:IS[APRS-IS](Hit(b/KB3KBR*)) [0]KB3KBR-10>APDR12,TCPIP*,qAC,N5JXS-F1:=4123.64N/07938.51W$ http://aprsdroid.org/ Samsung Droid Charge
                          > WinMain:2012-11-03T03:22:01.869 IStoRF:Packet(KB3KBR-10) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}KB3KBR-10>APDR12,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:=4123.64N/07938.51W$ http://aprsdroid.org/ Samsung Droid Charge
                          >

                          > Thanks, Greg KB3KBR

                        • Adam Mahnke
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2012
                            This is from my Filter Test Log (Ctrl+G)

                            I've added b/KC2ANT-2 to my IGate filter. I force a beacon from -2 (on a different PC) it as best I can tell it's being spit back at my by W2ZJ-1, N2PYI-1, KC2ANT-1, and KB2FAF-1.

                            So it appears that the WIDE2-2 path on my home station is holding true for TCPIP stations.

                            WinMain:2012-11-06T12:54:33.581 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(b/KC2ANT-2)) [0]KC2ANT-2>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TUS:=4221.71N/07644.68Wl
                            WinMain:2012-11-06T12:54:36.694 RF[Tiny2](Hit(b/KC2ANT-2)) [0]KC2ANT>APWW10,W2ZJ-1*:}KC2ANT-2>APWW10,TCPIP,KC2ANT*:=4221.71N/07644.68Wl
                            WinMain:2012-11-06T12:54:37.596 RF[Tiny2](Hit(b/KC2ANT-2)) [0]KC2ANT>APWW10,WIDE2-2*:}KC2ANT-2>APWW10,TCPIP,KC2ANT*:=4221.71N/07644.68Wl
                            WinMain:2012-11-06T12:54:40.135 RF[Tiny2](Hit(b/KC2ANT-2)) [0]KC2ANT>APWW10,N2PYI-1*,WIDE2-1:}KC2ANT-2>APWW10,TCPIP,KC2ANT*:=4221.71N/07644.68Wl
                            WinMain:2012-11-06T12:54:40.964 RF[Tiny2](Hit(b/KC2ANT-2)) [0]KC2ANT>APWW10,N2PYI-1*,KC2ANT-1*,WIDE2*:}KC2ANT-2>APWW10,TCPIP,KC2ANT*:=4221.71N/07644.68Wl
                            WinMain:2012-11-06T12:54:45.610 RF[Tiny2](Hit(b/KC2ANT-2)) [0]KC2ANT>APWW10,KB2FAF-1*,DISCVR:}KC2ANT-2>APWW10,TCPIP,KC2ANT*:=4221.71N/07644.68Wl

                            I can't remember who, but someone mentioned about stopping the APRS droid and phone commercial. I personally use my e-mail (that hits the phone) on my APRSdroid so that someone watching me has a way to get a hold of me if they see a problem with my beacons, like the every 5 second smart beacon burst.... (which is why I run a 2 mile distance setting)

                            Adam
                            KC2ANT

                            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                            From: goatherder_4891@...
                            Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 21:34:28 -0400

                            Sorry for the late reply was at work all day. see below.

                            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                            From: kj4erj@...
                            Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 23:57:02 -0400

                            What radio is showing your path? I suspect it is showing the unwrapped
                            third-party packet.
                            I am using the vx8g and  ftm 350, they both say digi(F) TCPIP digi(L) KB3KBR-1*.
                            If you check your RF logs in the IGate, do you hear digipeats coming
                            back of the 3rd party packet?

                            I dont see any digipeats back in either the scroller or both radios. The whole reason i found out about this was that I had both the ftm 350 and the phone tracking me out of rf range of the gate but not my digi. I was getting my objects and beacons from -1 thru the digi -2, and my -9  beacons  as well but no phone beacons until I got into range of the Igate.

                            If not, do you even hear digipeats back of your own beacon?
                            Yes. I hear the digis of my beacons and objects just not my gated to rf stations.
                            What do your radios show of the IGate's beacon as compared to the -IS
                            to RF gated 3rd party packet?

                            On 11/2/2012 11:22 PM, Greg wrote:
                            > Hi all, Lynn, I have a question about the is - rf gating. I have a filter set to gate everything from KB3KBR. b/KB3KBR* and while it is working ie I can see my Android phone, KB3KBR-10, coming across my radios, it is not being digipeated even though my path is set at wide1-1,wide 2-2. The path that is being shown in my radios is TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*. I'm not sure if I messed something up somewhere or what.
                            >

                            > My igate filter is showing:
                            > WinMain:2012-11-03T03:22:01.869 Considering:KB3KBR-10(IS) I: 2
                            > WinMain:2012-11-03T03:22:01.869 IStoRF:IS[APRS-IS](Hit(b/KB3KBR*)) [0]KB3KBR-10>APDR12,TCPIP*,qAC,N5JXS-F1:=4123.64N/07938.51W$ http://aprsdroid.org/ Samsung Droid Charge
                            > WinMain:2012-11-03T03:22:01.869 IStoRF:Packet(KB3KBR-10) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}KB3KBR-10>APDR12,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:=4123.64N/07938.51W$ http://aprsdroid.org/ Samsung Droid Charge
                            >

                            > Thanks, Greg KB3KBR

                          • Greg Depew
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 19, 2012
                              i think the } is what is messing it up as not being digi'd. I have the same as well and MY packets such as my beacon don't have it but all of my gated packets do and i think the digi is ignoring what is before and only reading the tcpip kb3kbr-1*.

                              Here is a copy of my transmit log.

                              2012-11-19T17:17:43.514 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;224.740- *191717z/9V63:=UJr sT224.740MHz T186 -160
                              2012-11-19T17:17:44.641 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}N3ETV-2>APTT4,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:!4056.75N/08016.95W_184/000g000t045r000p000P000h..b.....TU2k
                              2012-11-19T17:18:10.780 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}WB3JMF>APU25N,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:=/9T`]:1@?-  BGreenville, PA iGate {UIV32N}
                              2012-11-19T17:18:22.194 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}KB3WNO-7>APN383,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:!4120.93NS08028.10W#PHG74004/W2,PAn http://kb3wno.com Greenville, PA
                              2012-11-19T17:18:43.541 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;145.130- *191718z/9IE=:6:Zr sT145.130MHz T186 -060 W3MIE
                              2012-11-19T17:18:43.541 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;145.130- *191718z/9IE=:6:Zr sT145.130MHz T186 -060 W3MIE
                              2012-11-19T17:19:13.561 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;145.190-W*191719z/9b\G:A2&r sT145.190MHz T186 -060  W3ZIC L/145.23 & 147.12
                              2012-11-19T17:19:13.561 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;145.190-W*191719z/9b\G:A2&r sT145.190MHz T186 -060  W3ZIC L/145.23 & 147.12
                              2012-11-19T17:19:49.630 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}K3AWS-S>APJID2,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:;K3AWS  C *191247z4130.38ND08018.57WaRNG0035 2m Voice 147.150 +0.600 Mhz
                              2012-11-19T17:20:24.337 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}WHO-15>APJIW4,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*::KB3KBR-7 :ack36
                              2012-11-19T17:20:24.673 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}WHO-15>APJIW4,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*::KB3KBR-7 :KA3OES:JAMES W DEPEW/G{721
                              2012-11-19T17:20:24.715 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}WHO-15>APJIW4,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*::KB3KBR-7 :KA3OES:990 SR 157{722
                              2012-11-19T17:20:24.715 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}WHO-15>APJIW4,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*::KB3KBR-7 :KA3OES:OIL CITY, PA United States{723
                              2012-11-19T17:20:31.863 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}KB3WNO-C>APJI23,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:!4122.83ND08024.79W&RNG0040 2m Voice 145.430 -0.600
                              2012-11-19T17:21:10.579 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}WB3JMF>APU25N,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:=/9T`]:1@?-  BGreenville, PA iGate {UIV32N}
                              2012-11-19T17:21:13.622 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;444.125+W*191721z/9RM%:@:Dr sT444.125MHz Toff +500 W3ZIC
                              2012-11-19T17:21:13.622 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;444.125+W*191721z/9RM%:@:Dr sT444.125MHz Toff +500 W3ZIC
                              2012-11-19T17:21:57.591 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:@172157h4123.64N/07938.52W-PHG3000 APRS-IS for Win32
                              2012-11-19T17:21:57.592 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:@172157h4123.64N/07938.52W-PHG3000 APRS-IS for Win32
                              2012-11-19T17:22:14.393 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}KB3YBB-S>APJID2,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:;KB3YBB B *181910z4059.41ND08020.16WaRNG0040 440 Voice 443.075Mhz + 5Mhz
                              2012-11-19T17:22:21.929 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:@172221h4123.64N/07938.52W-PHG3000 APRS-IS for Win32
                              2012-11-19T17:22:21.929 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:@172221h4123.64N/07938.52W-PHG3000 APRS-IS for Win32
                              2012-11-19T17:22:43.659 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;145.230-L*191722z/9Z=d:@^+r sT145.230MHz T123 -060 Remote Reciever Link
                              2012-11-19T17:22:43.659 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;145.230-L*191722z/9Z=d:@^+r sT145.230MHz T123 -060 Remote Reciever Link
                              2012-11-19T17:22:45.250 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:=4123.64N/07938.52W-PHG3000 APRS-IS for Win32
                              2012-11-19T17:22:45.250 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:=4123.64N/07938.52W-PHG3000 APRS-IS for Win32
                              2012-11-19T17:22:51.353 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}KB3WNO-S>APJID2,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:;KB3WNO C *191537z4122.83ND08024.79WaRNG0040 2m Voice 145.430 -0.600
                              2012-11-19T17:23:13.673 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;145.230-W*191723z/9V63:=UJr sT145.230MHz T186 -060  W3ZIC L/145.19 & 147.12 Net 2030Hr Mon
                              2012-11-19T17:23:13.673 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;145.230-W*191723z/9V63:=UJr sT145.230MHz T186 -060  W3ZIC L/145.19 & 147.12 Net 2030Hr Mon
                              2012-11-19T17:23:33.037 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}N3EOY-3>APRS,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:@191723z4155.18N/08013.48W_227/003g...t050r...p...P000h49b10255.DsVP
                              2012-11-19T17:23:43.688 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;146.895- *191723z/9QI/:MsMr sT146.895MHz T186 -060
                              2012-11-19T17:23:43.688 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;146.895- *191723z/9QI/:MsMr sT146.895MHz T186 -060
                              2012-11-19T17:23:47.839 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}KB3YBB-B>APJI23,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:!4059.41ND08020.16W&RNG0040 440 Voice 443.075Mhz + 5Mhz
                              2012-11-19T17:24:10.480 Transmit(RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:}WB3JMF>APU25N,TCPIP,KB3KBR-1*:=/9T`]:1@?-  BGreenville, PA iGate {UIV32N}
                              2012-11-19T17:24:13.703 Transmit(IS+RF) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;147.120+W*111111z/9KcE:CRWr sT147.120MHz T186 +060 L/145.23 & 145.19
                              2012-11-19T17:24:13.703 Transmit(INT) KB3KBR-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:;147.120+W*111111z/9KcE:CRWr sT147.120MHz T186 +060 L/145.23 & 145.19

                              To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                              From: goatherder_4891@...
                              Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 21:34:28 -0400

                              Sorry for the late reply was at work all day. see below.

                              To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                              From: kj4erj@...
                              Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 23:57:02 -0400