OT: Tile Server w/Large Fonts

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
      Greetings,

      This is slightly off-topic, but related. There was some OSM-compatible
      tile server out there that was rendering the OSM tiles with larger fonts
      and streets depending on the URL that you fetched the tiles from. Does
      anyone have any recollection as to the information to access said tiles?

      Actually, I'm hoping to add that support via style sheet to my personal
      OSM tile server so that I can actually READ the street names on my Tilt2.

      PS. I'm actually toying with the idea of attempting to construct a
      planet-wide OSM tile server from an 8-16GB machine. It won't be able to
      import the planet, but if supplied with SSD drives (1-128 + 1-256) on
      which an import has been done, it SHOULD be able to keep it current and
      render tiles. CPU speed is a concern for reasonable rendering speed,
      but if it's only serving as your private (prefetch-able) tile server, it
      might not be too bad.
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
        If you happen to find a 50+ tile set (large print), I am sure many can use it! :) I don't recall finding one. There is probably a CloudMade style though. I'll poke around for one.

        Since you reminded me about tile sets in general, now for a related feature request.

        Background: I find myself using the Mapnik tiles (original), ArcGIS US Topo and a ArcGIS Imagery. Having to work my way through the menu structure for each change is not ideal. I often just want a quick look at the top or aerial then return to Mapnik.

        Feature request: It would be handy to have a single point on the display that would allow cycling through selected tile sets.

        I actually have more than those three tile sets so cycling through all would not be practical but they are the most common ones for me.

        A single button, and small, about the size of the + or - button for the map zoom would be fine.

        I have another application on the Tilt that has this feature and every time I use it I wonder about the same feature for APRSISCE.

        Thanks!

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
          On 10/23/2012 12:58 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          A single button, and small, about the size of the + or - button for the map zoom would be fine.

          A button for this, a button for that, and soon the screen will be full of buttons and no information.  <grin>

          I have another application on the Tilt that has this feature and every time I use it I wonder about the same feature for APRSISCE.

          I suspect said application is primarily a map tool?  Makes sense for a primary function, but IMHO, Screen / Tileset / Check the option isn't that cumbersome.  Unless you've been going through the whole Configure/  Map / Tilesets / <Whichever> / Accept to switch the default?

          But as always, I'll put it on the list.  I've got a niggle in my brain to re-do some of the menu options, in addition to developing a smiple (sic) mode sometime.

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
            I searched through the CloudMade styles and didn't see any with a large font. I have never played with the style editor so I am not sure if it could be done. I suspect that if it was possible, someone might have tried it given that there are some pointless styles that are probably a result of playing.

            I could give up the zoom bar for a button like this. Or I could use a shorter zoom bar. It does take the entire side of the display on the Tilt. So if it was shorter, a button or two could be added. :)

            Actually the other application is not a map tool. It just uses maps for its display purposes. Its button is about 30% larger than the +/- buttons and I can get to it with my fingernail. I lost my stylus sometime ago so I end up using my fingernail for display clicks. Now that is cumbersome when navigating the menus.

            Thanks for adding to your list!

            Message 6 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
              At a cursory glance, there are street names on Z15 normally. If using 2x, the names are on Z16.

              I normally don't grab Z16 tiles to save space.

              This was only a quick check on the THIN style (#2).

              Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                For you who are balloon watchers, there is one over Maine at the moment (W1YA-11) and its recovery vehicle appears to be AA1PJ-3.

                I am receiving some of the balloon's packets directly over RF in New Hampshire.

                BobHarris (K9UDX)
                Bath, NH

                  Message 9 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                    Thanks for the tip Lynn

                    I had not (until now) tried Shrieks. Have it working

                    --

                    BobHarris (K9UDX)
                    Bath, NH

                    Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012

                      Those of you are balloon fans I suggest joining the ANSRVR BALLOON group, where you can alert, and also get automated alerts of launches and bursts courtesy of KF7MVY

                      You can join under messages/announcements in APRSIS32

                      Message 11 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012

                        Speaking of balloons live interview shortly on BBC 1 with Felix Baumgartner. I guess only available in the UK . Will record as apparently exclusive footage of the jump also.

                        Those in the UK tune into The One Show on now

                        Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012

                          I going to write up a section on Radio Direction Finding does anyone have any screen shots of APRSIS32 in action doing RDF that I can add to the WIKI page?

                        • Adam Mahnke
                          Message 13 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                            If I can remember to send them too you. I forgot my flash drive at home today :(

                            Adam
                            KC2ANT

                            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                            From: steve@...
                            Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 22:49:28 +0000
                            Subject: [aprsisce] Radio Direction Finding

                            Message 14 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012

                              Thanks Adam the more info the better, that actually goes for any part of the wiki

                              To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                              From: steve@...
                              Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 22:49:28 +0000