range of reception

  • df8ls
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2012
      ...need to be sure about this one:

      is it that the maximum range to listen to is 1000 mi (1609km) which equal an input of 10.000 under Configure->General->Range?

      If so that's bad since some of us use it as HF-APRS. I know that by putting a b/ filter and a buddy's callsign I'll get him not matter what distance seperates us, but that's not an unlimeted range in general.

      Any help on this?

      The reason I'm asking is because I've started producing tutorials in German language on APRSIS32 issues (not uploaded on YouTube yet). So I don't wanna tell too much nonsens...

      Cheers for answers!

      73
      Helge, DF8LS
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2012
        On 10/12/2012 3:56 AM, df8ls wrote:
        > ...need to be sure about this one:
        >
        > is it that the maximum range to listen to is 1000 mi (1609km) which equal an input of 10.000 under Configure->General->Range?

        The Configure / General / Range is not how far to "listen to" with
        respect to RF receptions. ALL RF-received packets are processed and
        subsequently displayed (as modified by the View menu selections). The
        configurable Range is used on various APRS-IS (Internet) filters to
        request packets from that source. See also
        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters for where all the
        configured Range is used.

        > If so that's bad since some of us use it as HF-APRS. I know that by putting a b/ filter and a buddy's callsign I'll get him not matter what distance seperates us, but that's not an unlimeted range in general.

        Again, all of the filters only affect what packets are requested from
        the APRS-IS network, not what is processed from RF. Most (but not all)
        HF-APRS users are very RF-centric in my experience. And if you're
        wanting to monitor further than 1,000 miles, you might as well switch
        over to a full feed (port 10152 on most APRS-IS servers),

        > Any help on this?

        Eventually the Range configuration value will be changed to integer
        miles. I was naive when I thought that adjusting by 1/10 mile would be
        a good idea.

        > The reason I'm asking is because I've started producing tutorials in German language on APRSIS32 issues (not uploaded on YouTube yet). So I don't wanna tell too much nonsens...

        If you're doing German text as well, you might want to link up with
        Steve, G6UIM, and see if he's ready for a multi-lingual section of the
        Wiki.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2012

          If Helge wanted to write WIKI stuff in German it can be dealt with, I would need to figure out if we can do Navigation Tree’s in Multiple languages