Tracking Ships

  • Dave Aitch OCN
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
      For those interested in AIS,   google      shipplotter

      Dave G1OCN

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
        This side of the pond doesn't seem to have the following your side has. It doesn't look like there are many receivers here (between NYC and Canada). I don't quite remember why I was not impressed, maybe it was the demo version that left me with that impression. It as been a few months now since I looked at it. I would have liked a "timed" version to try it.

        Best regard,
        Fred, N7FMH

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
          A specific port makes sense, now for confirmation or redirection. I will have to read about the q-construct again. Maybe this time it will make a little more sense.

          Auto-switching would have to give an indication that it was switched. An internal message could be generated, kind of like when a filter is changed.

          Three works. Why didn't I think of that? Oh, I know why. I was blind sided by the way I usually operate. I inject data into APRSIS32 and have RF=>IS turned off since I am learning packet formation and such. I figured I would do the same with AIS if I could find a data stream. My goal has been to keep my learning private without banging on a server somewhere. So, I only bang on mine. So far I have constructed readable packets and KISS packets. It has been a learning experience giving a bit more insight into APRS. I have an new appreciation for all the thought that went into it and look forward to what the future holds.

          I am looking forward to Firenet.us coming back up!

          Thanks again for creating a great application! I have recently added it to a webDT360 and am working out the nuances.

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
            I followed the ship delivering my Ford Transit Connect by using www.marinetraffic.com.

            Neat watching it being picked up by a tug and taken into the pier in Baltimore.

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
              What would be your Filter setup?
              Firenet is it talking at other APRS servers?

              i am located 1000 feet from the St-Laurence River,,,,,,,,i would like to see what ship are passing in front of my QTH.
              thankls
              73
              gervais

              To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                  Folks

                  I had to purchase some Torx screwdrivers just to yank the CF card port cover.  Then, just now, upon rereading some postings looking for answers to the following questions, I now realize I could've used a standard USB memory stick.  Oh well, I'll be using those screwdrivers in the future I'm sure.

                  So what is the best location to put the APRSISCE exe?   Where should the OSM files that I've copied down to the CF card reside?  In the same folder?

                  I created a folder in the "root" and when I rebooted it's gone.

                  Note that APRIS32 was telling me to set my location or some such similar message and wouldn't let me do anything or exit.  As I couldn't figure out how to use a task manager to cancel the program I had to rudely power down the device.

                  I've reviewed the wiki page and the Yahoo group postings and don't see any answers to the above questions.

                  Tony
                • Tony VE6MVP
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                    At 09:20 PM 2012-10-03, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                    If you want to see the ship and you're that close, wouldn't you just step outside?

                    (Sorry, I just couldn't hold my fingers back from the keyboard for that one!)

                    I expect that kind of behavior from James VE6SRV.  In fact I was quite startled to see someone else had posted that.   <smile>

                    Tony
                  • Gervais Fillion
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012

                      well.
                      it has been raise on other group this story about seeing ship on different platform,software.
                      it seems that that information is not classified,or confidential but not too many person what the radio-amateur to play with this date.
                      Not to broadcast on the air,on aprs,those position and thats a good argument.

                      gervais

                      ps i am walking on our beach time too time but it's not california...... at least we dont have sharks :-)

                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                        On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                        > So what is the best location to put the APRSISCE exe?

                        Somewhere where it won't disappear. Mine is on Storage Card (CF card)

                        > Where should the OSM files that I've copied down to the CF card reside?
                        > In the same folder?

                        I just let mine self-populate. They are on the compact flash card.

                        > I created a folder in the "root" and when I rebooted it's gone.

                        So that would be a bad place to put the directory.

                        > Note that APRIS32 was telling me to set my location or some such
                        > similar message and wouldn't let me do anything or exit.

                        You need to set your location. Once you've done that you can play with
                        the program like usual. You've already forgotten setting up the
                        program on your computer, haven't you?

                        > I've reviewed the wiki page and the Yahoo group postings and don't
                        > see any answers to the above questions.

                        That's why I was putting information into the Wiki. I still don't know
                        the answers to all the questions, but as I find out, I add it. I'm not
                        sure where all the various directories physically reside, and which
                        ones are volatile and which ones are persistent.

                        As for how to start the program, that can be found here:

                        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

                      • Tony VE6MVP
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                          At 10:57 PM 2012-10-03, James Ewen wrote:

                          > Note that APRIS32 was telling me to set my location or some such
                          > similar message and wouldn't let me do anything or exit.

                          You need to set your location. Once you've done that you can play with
                          the program like usual.

                          But I couldn't set my location to anything reasonable because the OSM files weren't found and the map was blank.  So I didn't want to set my location to a random point although I guess I could've.    Just as well I didn't as now I know one apparent folder in CE that won't work for the exe and the OSM files.

                          Also note that I find using the term ME is quite confusing along with those messages that pop up.  "Do you want to move ME to the center of the screen?"  I'm thinking WTF does that mean every time I see that message.    Using the term My Map Location or something similar makes a lot more sense to me.

                          Note that APRSIS CE wouldn't even let me exit the program.

                          BTW don't forget to add the info about the Prolific 2303 being the only serial port adapter for which the WebDT 366 has drivers.

                          Tony
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                            On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                            > But I couldn't set my location to anything reasonable because the OSM
                            > files weren't found and the map was blank. So I didn't want to set my
                            > location to a random point although I guess I could've.

                            Didn't have your WIFI enabled? APRSISCE automatically goes out and
                            grab the tiles from the OSM servers as required.

                            > Also note that I find using the term ME is quite confusing along with
                            > those messages that pop up. "Do you want to move ME to the center of the
                            > screen?" I'm thinking WTF does that mean every time I see that message.
                            > Using the term My Map Location or something similar makes a lot more sense
                            > to me.

                            We've been around that bush before...

                            > Note that APRSIS CE wouldn't even let me exit the program.

                            Not until you set your location. You started the process by launching
                            the program... Just pretend you're a little boy again, and you can't
                            leave the dinner table until you finish all your peas!

                            > BTW don't forget to add the info about the Prolific 2303 being the only
                            > serial port adapter for which the WebDT 366 has drivers.

                            I'll have to figure out where to put that...

                          • Tony VE6MVP
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                              At 06:59 AM 2012-10-04, James Ewen wrote:

                              > But I couldn't set my location to anything reasonable because the OSM
                              > files weren't found and the map was blank. So I didn't want to set my
                              > location to a random point although I guess I could've.

                              Didn't have your WIFI enabled? APRSISCE automatically goes out and
                              grab the tiles from the OSM servers as required.

                              But the WebDT I have only supports WEP or no encryption so I'm not willing to setup my network in such a fashion until I get another Wireless Access Point.  I wanted to use the OSM files that I had already accumulated in my laptop.

                              > BTW don't forget to add the info about the Prolific 2303 being the only
                              > serial port adapter for which the WebDT 366 has drivers.

                              I'll have to figure out where to put that...

                              ???  There's a page specific to the WebDT.

                              Tony
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                                > > BTW don't forget to add the info about the Prolific 2303 being the only
                                > > serial port adapter for which the WebDT 366 has drivers.
                                >
                                > I'll have to figure out where to put that...
                                >

                                > ??? There's a page specific to the WebDT.

                                Okay, I'll just drop it in the middle of the text somewhere... right
                                in the middle of a paragraph about some other subject.

                                I'd like to keep some semblance of organization to the page.

                              • Tony VE6MVP
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                  At 02:12 PM 2012-10-04, James Ewen wrote:

                                  Create a section called Remarks or Notes at the bottom and throw in these random snippets of info so they'll save the next person time figuring things out.

                                  Also include Lynn's comment about how USB memory sticks also work to transfer data into the device.

                                  Tony

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                    Added.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012

                                      Have alerted Lynn that James has hijacked his email accountJ

                                      Fred and I have been looking into how to do this, without a great deal of success