Re: [aprsisce] Tracking Ships

    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
      Huh?  Since when is AIS data being gated to firenet.us?  I don't recall having seen much of that.

      On 10/3/2012 3:19 PM, Greg Depew wrote:
      There is one way but its currently down. If you use firenet.us you will see them. KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
        On 10/3/2012 5:18 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

        I guess the next question, assuming one lived in range, had a receiver, how does data get injected into Firenet.us?

        That's a good question for which I have never seen any documentation.  And with firenet.us down, we can't even consult the :14501 status page's description of the supported ports.

        I think I just thought of the answer. If my instance is connected to Firenet.us and I have an application to listen to a receiver and send a properly formatted packet to APRIS32, then the data would  go to Firenet.us and not APRS-IS. If this answer is wrong, please let me know! I have not found any other answer yet.  I suspect the packet can't look like an APRS packet per se or it may go to APRS-IS anyway. I have created packet and sent them through Firenet.us and could still see them on APRS.FI which means to me there is something special about Firenet.us packets.

        Not special about the packets because firenet.us is simply a configured instance of javAPRSSrvr.  The "specialness", I believe, is which port firenet-specific (aka non-APRS-IS) packet injectors connect to.  Port 14580, the normal filtered port, will pass your gated and injected packets through to APRS-IS (albeit with a "client-only" q-construct as I recently discovered).

        If my answer is correct, the issue I see is if the APRSIS32 server was changed to the APRS-IS (like when Firenet.us is offline) then the data would show up there which is not acceptable. There are a couple of possibilities that might help. One, a checkbox could be added to select Firenet.us only. This way, if someone was injecting AIS into Firenet.us and the server stopped working and the instance was changed to APRS-IS (manually or automatically-future?), then the data would not go further. I like this one since there may be other data that would be useful to inject.

        Auto-switching APRS-IS connections from firenet.us to the APRS-IS network is something you really don't want if you think about it.  What happens when the connection to firenet.us is interrupted momentarily and your client switches to the APRS-IS?  It will only switch back when that connection fails leaving you without the "specialness" of firenet without your knowledge.

        There's another feature that may be finalized in the port renovations to allow APRSISCE/32 to accomplish close to what you're after, but only for non-IGate (read: client-only) instances.

        Two, Lynn adds AIS decoding to APRISIS and cool configurable icons (like vesseltracker) to match the vessel type then he controls where that data is injected. *grins

        Three - If you're doing AIS decoding and APRS packet generation from the received data, simply inject the packets directly into the firenet.us port that keeps them firenet-local and then let APRSISCE/32 do what it does best, display APRS data from whatever APRS-IS server you have configured within it.

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
          Last item in the Objects injected into Firenet (there may be others):

          It doesn't mean many if any are doing it.

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
            For those interested in AIS,   google      shipplotter

            Dave G1OCN

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
              This side of the pond doesn't seem to have the following your side has. It doesn't look like there are many receivers here (between NYC and Canada). I don't quite remember why I was not impressed, maybe it was the demo version that left me with that impression. It as been a few months now since I looked at it. I would have liked a "timed" version to try it.

              Best regard,
              Fred, N7FMH

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                A specific port makes sense, now for confirmation or redirection. I will have to read about the q-construct again. Maybe this time it will make a little more sense.

                Auto-switching would have to give an indication that it was switched. An internal message could be generated, kind of like when a filter is changed.

                Three works. Why didn't I think of that? Oh, I know why. I was blind sided by the way I usually operate. I inject data into APRSIS32 and have RF=>IS turned off since I am learning packet formation and such. I figured I would do the same with AIS if I could find a data stream. My goal has been to keep my learning private without banging on a server somewhere. So, I only bang on mine. So far I have constructed readable packets and KISS packets. It has been a learning experience giving a bit more insight into APRS. I have an new appreciation for all the thought that went into it and look forward to what the future holds.

                I am looking forward to Firenet.us coming back up!

                Thanks again for creating a great application! I have recently added it to a webDT360 and am working out the nuances.

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                  I followed the ship delivering my Ford Transit Connect by using www.marinetraffic.com.

                  Neat watching it being picked up by a tug and taken into the pier in Baltimore.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                    What would be your Filter setup?
                    Firenet is it talking at other APRS servers?

                    i am located 1000 feet from the St-Laurence River,,,,,,,,i would like to see what ship are passing in front of my QTH.
                    thankls
                    73
                    gervais

                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                        Folks

                        I had to purchase some Torx screwdrivers just to yank the CF card port cover.  Then, just now, upon rereading some postings looking for answers to the following questions, I now realize I could've used a standard USB memory stick.  Oh well, I'll be using those screwdrivers in the future I'm sure.

                        So what is the best location to put the APRSISCE exe?   Where should the OSM files that I've copied down to the CF card reside?  In the same folder?

                        I created a folder in the "root" and when I rebooted it's gone.

                        Note that APRIS32 was telling me to set my location or some such similar message and wouldn't let me do anything or exit.  As I couldn't figure out how to use a task manager to cancel the program I had to rudely power down the device.

                        I've reviewed the wiki page and the Yahoo group postings and don't see any answers to the above questions.

                        Tony
                      • Tony VE6MVP
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                          At 09:20 PM 2012-10-03, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                          If you want to see the ship and you're that close, wouldn't you just step outside?

                          (Sorry, I just couldn't hold my fingers back from the keyboard for that one!)

                          I expect that kind of behavior from James VE6SRV.  In fact I was quite startled to see someone else had posted that.   <smile>

                          Tony
                        • Gervais Fillion
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012

                            well.
                            it has been raise on other group this story about seeing ship on different platform,software.
                            it seems that that information is not classified,or confidential but not too many person what the radio-amateur to play with this date.
                            Not to broadcast on the air,on aprs,those position and thats a good argument.

                            gervais

                            ps i am walking on our beach time too time but it's not california...... at least we dont have sharks :-)

                            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                              On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                              > So what is the best location to put the APRSISCE exe?

                              Somewhere where it won't disappear. Mine is on Storage Card (CF card)

                              > Where should the OSM files that I've copied down to the CF card reside?
                              > In the same folder?

                              I just let mine self-populate. They are on the compact flash card.

                              > I created a folder in the "root" and when I rebooted it's gone.

                              So that would be a bad place to put the directory.

                              > Note that APRIS32 was telling me to set my location or some such
                              > similar message and wouldn't let me do anything or exit.

                              You need to set your location. Once you've done that you can play with
                              the program like usual. You've already forgotten setting up the
                              program on your computer, haven't you?

                              > I've reviewed the wiki page and the Yahoo group postings and don't
                              > see any answers to the above questions.

                              That's why I was putting information into the Wiki. I still don't know
                              the answers to all the questions, but as I find out, I add it. I'm not
                              sure where all the various directories physically reside, and which
                              ones are volatile and which ones are persistent.

                              As for how to start the program, that can be found here:

                              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

                            • Tony VE6MVP
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                At 10:57 PM 2012-10-03, James Ewen wrote:

                                > Note that APRIS32 was telling me to set my location or some such
                                > similar message and wouldn't let me do anything or exit.

                                You need to set your location. Once you've done that you can play with
                                the program like usual.

                                But I couldn't set my location to anything reasonable because the OSM files weren't found and the map was blank.  So I didn't want to set my location to a random point although I guess I could've.    Just as well I didn't as now I know one apparent folder in CE that won't work for the exe and the OSM files.

                                Also note that I find using the term ME is quite confusing along with those messages that pop up.  "Do you want to move ME to the center of the screen?"  I'm thinking WTF does that mean every time I see that message.    Using the term My Map Location or something similar makes a lot more sense to me.

                                Note that APRSIS CE wouldn't even let me exit the program.

                                BTW don't forget to add the info about the Prolific 2303 being the only serial port adapter for which the WebDT 366 has drivers.

                                Tony
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                  On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                                  > But I couldn't set my location to anything reasonable because the OSM
                                  > files weren't found and the map was blank. So I didn't want to set my
                                  > location to a random point although I guess I could've.

                                  Didn't have your WIFI enabled? APRSISCE automatically goes out and
                                  grab the tiles from the OSM servers as required.

                                  > Also note that I find using the term ME is quite confusing along with
                                  > those messages that pop up. "Do you want to move ME to the center of the
                                  > screen?" I'm thinking WTF does that mean every time I see that message.
                                  > Using the term My Map Location or something similar makes a lot more sense
                                  > to me.

                                  We've been around that bush before...

                                  > Note that APRSIS CE wouldn't even let me exit the program.

                                  Not until you set your location. You started the process by launching
                                  the program... Just pretend you're a little boy again, and you can't
                                  leave the dinner table until you finish all your peas!

                                  > BTW don't forget to add the info about the Prolific 2303 being the only
                                  > serial port adapter for which the WebDT 366 has drivers.

                                  I'll have to figure out where to put that...

                                • Tony VE6MVP
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                    At 06:59 AM 2012-10-04, James Ewen wrote:

                                    > But I couldn't set my location to anything reasonable because the OSM
                                    > files weren't found and the map was blank. So I didn't want to set my
                                    > location to a random point although I guess I could've.

                                    Didn't have your WIFI enabled? APRSISCE automatically goes out and
                                    grab the tiles from the OSM servers as required.

                                    But the WebDT I have only supports WEP or no encryption so I'm not willing to setup my network in such a fashion until I get another Wireless Access Point.  I wanted to use the OSM files that I had already accumulated in my laptop.

                                    > BTW don't forget to add the info about the Prolific 2303 being the only
                                    > serial port adapter for which the WebDT 366 has drivers.

                                    I'll have to figure out where to put that...

                                    ???  There's a page specific to the WebDT.

                                    Tony
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                      On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                                      > > BTW don't forget to add the info about the Prolific 2303 being the only
                                      > > serial port adapter for which the WebDT 366 has drivers.
                                      >
                                      > I'll have to figure out where to put that...
                                      >

                                      > ??? There's a page specific to the WebDT.

                                      Okay, I'll just drop it in the middle of the text somewhere... right
                                      in the middle of a paragraph about some other subject.

                                      I'd like to keep some semblance of organization to the page.

                                    • Tony VE6MVP
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                        At 02:12 PM 2012-10-04, James Ewen wrote:

                                        Create a section called Remarks or Notes at the bottom and throw in these random snippets of info so they'll save the next person time figuring things out.

                                        Also include Lynn's comment about how USB memory sticks also work to transfer data into the device.

                                        Tony

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012
                                          Added.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 4, 2012

                                            Have alerted Lynn that James has hijacked his email accountJ

                                            Fred and I have been looking into how to do this, without a great deal of success