Re: [aprsisce] Dual port config?

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2012
      Each PORT has a checkbox for Beacon.

      BTW, if you use something like AGW or UZ7HO and separate (L vs R) input channels, you can use AGWmonitor with tabs for Port A, Port B, and All Ports - with an MHeard list.
      Since APRSIS32 only transmits on the "first port", you will only beacon on 1.

      I haven't tried this yet, but it seems it "SHOULD" work

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2012
        At 03:33 PM 10/3/2012, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

        >Sure. Just add your second (or more) port(s).

        Some things are just blindingly easy.

        Got it working this evening. One port is connected to the internal
        TNC in a Kenwood TM-D710 through the "COM" port on the back of the
        control head. I'll leave the internal TNC set for side "A" of the
        radio and leave it tuned to 144.390 MHz. The D710 is in APRS mode and
        pass through from the connected GPS receiver is working just fine.
        The second port will be a Kantronics KPC-3 with its radio port
        connected to the "DATA" port on the TM-D710 RF deck. The D710 is
        configured to use an external TNC on side "B" and that side of the
        radio will be tuned to 144.990 MHz. Add the necessary serial cables
        and you're all set.

        I think this is an incredible testimony to the flexibility and
        versatility of both the Kenwood TM-D710 and Lynn's program!

        Bob...

        P.S. Rob's suggestion using a sound card packet decoder and a stereo
        input from two radio (I think that was the path he was on) sounds cool, too.
      • fmhillhouse@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2012
          I was afraid of sounding flippant after I sent the message but it is really that easy. Sweet isn't?!

          At 03:33 PM 10/3/2012, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

          >Sure. Just add your second (or more) port(s).

          Some things are just blindingly easy.

          Got it working this evening. One port is connected to the internal
          TNC in a Kenwood TM-D710 through the "COM" port on the back of the
          control head. I'll leave the internal TNC set for side "A" of the
          radio and leave it tuned to 144.390 MHz. The D710 is in APRS mode and
          pass through from the connected GPS receiver is working just fine.
          The second port will be a Kantronics KPC-3 with its radio port
          connected to the "DATA" port on the TM-D710 RF deck. The D710 is
          configured to use an external TNC on side "B" and that side of the
          radio will be tuned to 144.990 MHz. Add the necessary serial cables
          and you're all set.

          I think this is an incredible testimony to the flexibility and
          versatility of both the Kenwood TM-D710 and Lynn's program!

          Bob...

          P.S. Rob's suggestion using a sound card packet decoder and a stereo
          input from two radio (I think that was the path he was on) sounds cool, too.

        • Arte Booten
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
            Hi all,

            Bob B. (W9RXR) wrote:

            >Is it possible to configure APRISCE/32 with two active RF ports?

            Fred H. replied:

            >Sure. Just add your second (or more) port(s).

            Bob's query was about using two separate TNC's. But what about TNC's having
            multiple ports, such as a KAM, KPC-9612 (or their "plus" cousins)? Somehow,
            I've got the feeling that this is something that's going to have to wait until
            Mr. Lynn lets us play with something other than KISS mode ... ah, patience. 73

            --
            +============================================================================+
            |> > > When replying remove " rEm0vEn0sP@M! " from the reply-to address < < <|
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
              On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Arte Booten <n2zrc@...> wrote:

              > Bob's query was about using two separate TNC's. But what about TNC's
              > having multiple ports, such as a KAM, KPC-9612 (or their "plus" cousins)?

              Still no change since the last time you or anyone else asked... If
              they get supported, Lynn will let us know.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
                On 10/4/2012 12:04 PM, Arte Booten wrote:

                > Bob's query was about using two separate TNC's. But what about TNC's having
                > multiple ports, such as a KAM, KPC-9612 (or their "plus" cousins)? Somehow,
                > I've got the feeling that this is something that's going to have to wait until
                > Mr. Lynn lets us play with something other than KISS mode ... ah, patience. 73

                Actually, the KAM does it's multi-port magic via KISS, actually IIRC
                it's MKISS and there's also SMACK (http://www.symek.com/g/smack.html).

                APRSISCE/32 supports receiving from all of the ports on a single
                connection (be it KISS or AGW), but will only transmit on the FIRST port
                (port 0) until I can accomplish some pretty major renovations in the
                port support area. That's the top of my ToDo list at this time, but
                life and $$$ job are getting in the way.

              • Rob Giuliano
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
                  Are MKISS and XKISS related?
                    I've seen XKISS on KPC models (also known as G8PBQ or "multi-drop KISS".

                  Showing my ignorance as I am at work and can't look it up right at the moment.

                  Robert Giuliano
                  KB8RCO

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
                      Sorry misprint on my part G8BPQ.

                      From the KPC-9612 manual:
                      <quote>
                      XKISS (Extended KISS) Mode
                           The TNC also supports multi-drop KISS mode, called Extended KISS (XKISS).  With this mode, the TNC can be
                           connected to a G8BPQ node along with other TNCs on the same serial port, to provide multiple radio ports
                           to the node.  Otherwise, XKISS works like KISS.  For information on this mode of operation, see the
                           documentation for the XKISS software you are using.
                      </quote>

                      I absolutely cannot find the manual where I saw a reference "RIGHT UNDER" this section with additional information