Dual port config?

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2012
      Is it possible to configure APRISCE/32 with two active RF ports? Only one port would be configured to beacon...if at all.

      Here's why I ask.

      I may be involved in a balloon launch this Saturday. The payload crew is setting up APRS trackers on 144.390 MHz and 144.990 MHz. The 144.39 tracker will beacon at a reasonable rate so as to not clog the local network. the 144.99 tracker will beacon at a faster rate.

      My thought was that with two radios and two TNCs, I could monitor the traffic on both frequencies. It would be useful if I could display the received beacons from both freqs on the same screen.

      If not, then I'll just look at running two instances of the program.

      Thanks.

      Bob...
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2012
        Sure. Just add your second (or more) port(s).

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2012
          Each PORT has a checkbox for Beacon.

          BTW, if you use something like AGW or UZ7HO and separate (L vs R) input channels, you can use AGWmonitor with tabs for Port A, Port B, and All Ports - with an MHeard list.
          Since APRSIS32 only transmits on the "first port", you will only beacon on 1.

          I haven't tried this yet, but it seems it "SHOULD" work

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2012
            At 03:33 PM 10/3/2012, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            >Sure. Just add your second (or more) port(s).

            Some things are just blindingly easy.

            Got it working this evening. One port is connected to the internal
            TNC in a Kenwood TM-D710 through the "COM" port on the back of the
            control head. I'll leave the internal TNC set for side "A" of the
            radio and leave it tuned to 144.390 MHz. The D710 is in APRS mode and
            pass through from the connected GPS receiver is working just fine.
            The second port will be a Kantronics KPC-3 with its radio port
            connected to the "DATA" port on the TM-D710 RF deck. The D710 is
            configured to use an external TNC on side "B" and that side of the
            radio will be tuned to 144.990 MHz. Add the necessary serial cables
            and you're all set.

            I think this is an incredible testimony to the flexibility and
            versatility of both the Kenwood TM-D710 and Lynn's program!

            Bob...

            P.S. Rob's suggestion using a sound card packet decoder and a stereo
            input from two radio (I think that was the path he was on) sounds cool, too.
          • fmhillhouse@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2012
              I was afraid of sounding flippant after I sent the message but it is really that easy. Sweet isn't?!

              At 03:33 PM 10/3/2012, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

              >Sure. Just add your second (or more) port(s).

              Some things are just blindingly easy.

              Got it working this evening. One port is connected to the internal
              TNC in a Kenwood TM-D710 through the "COM" port on the back of the
              control head. I'll leave the internal TNC set for side "A" of the
              radio and leave it tuned to 144.390 MHz. The D710 is in APRS mode and
              pass through from the connected GPS receiver is working just fine.
              The second port will be a Kantronics KPC-3 with its radio port
              connected to the "DATA" port on the TM-D710 RF deck. The D710 is
              configured to use an external TNC on side "B" and that side of the
              radio will be tuned to 144.990 MHz. Add the necessary serial cables
              and you're all set.

              I think this is an incredible testimony to the flexibility and
              versatility of both the Kenwood TM-D710 and Lynn's program!

              Bob...

              P.S. Rob's suggestion using a sound card packet decoder and a stereo
              input from two radio (I think that was the path he was on) sounds cool, too.

            • Arte Booten
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
                Hi all,

                Bob B. (W9RXR) wrote:

                >Is it possible to configure APRISCE/32 with two active RF ports?

                Fred H. replied:

                >Sure. Just add your second (or more) port(s).

                Bob's query was about using two separate TNC's. But what about TNC's having
                multiple ports, such as a KAM, KPC-9612 (or their "plus" cousins)? Somehow,
                I've got the feeling that this is something that's going to have to wait until
                Mr. Lynn lets us play with something other than KISS mode ... ah, patience. 73

                --
                +============================================================================+
                |> > > When replying remove " rEm0vEn0sP@M! " from the reply-to address < < <|
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
                  On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Arte Booten <n2zrc@...> wrote:

                  > Bob's query was about using two separate TNC's. But what about TNC's
                  > having multiple ports, such as a KAM, KPC-9612 (or their "plus" cousins)?

                  Still no change since the last time you or anyone else asked... If
                  they get supported, Lynn will let us know.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
                    On 10/4/2012 12:04 PM, Arte Booten wrote:

                    > Bob's query was about using two separate TNC's. But what about TNC's having
                    > multiple ports, such as a KAM, KPC-9612 (or their "plus" cousins)? Somehow,
                    > I've got the feeling that this is something that's going to have to wait until
                    > Mr. Lynn lets us play with something other than KISS mode ... ah, patience. 73

                    Actually, the KAM does it's multi-port magic via KISS, actually IIRC
                    it's MKISS and there's also SMACK (http://www.symek.com/g/smack.html).

                    APRSISCE/32 supports receiving from all of the ports on a single
                    connection (be it KISS or AGW), but will only transmit on the FIRST port
                    (port 0) until I can accomplish some pretty major renovations in the
                    port support area. That's the top of my ToDo list at this time, but
                    life and $$$ job are getting in the way.

                  • Rob Giuliano
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
                      Are MKISS and XKISS related?
                        I've seen XKISS on KPC models (also known as G8PBQ or "multi-drop KISS".

                      Showing my ignorance as I am at work and can't look it up right at the moment.

                      Robert Giuliano
                      KB8RCO

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2012
                          Sorry misprint on my part G8BPQ.

                          From the KPC-9612 manual:
                          <quote>
                          XKISS (Extended KISS) Mode
                               The TNC also supports multi-drop KISS mode, called Extended KISS (XKISS).  With this mode, the TNC can be
                               connected to a G8BPQ node along with other TNCs on the same serial port, to provide multiple radio ports
                               to the node.  Otherwise, XKISS works like KISS.  For information on this mode of operation, see the
                               documentation for the XKISS software you are using.
                          </quote>

                          I absolutely cannot find the manual where I saw a reference "RIGHT UNDER" this section with additional information