Re: [aprsisce] Re: Crop Circles? NOT!

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2012
      On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      >> A non-reception report should equate to at least the same distance as a
      >> signal strength of 1.
      >
      > Ok, so if I calculate the non-reception (0 S-units) range the same as a
      > signal strength of 1, I'll get close enough?

      >> The routines used to generate PHG circles should be pretty similar to
      >> the DFS reports.
      >>
      >> PHG uses Output Power, HAAT, Antenna Gain and Directivity to create a circle.
      >>
      >> DFS uses Input Signal Level, HAAT, Antenna Gain, Directivity to create a circle.
      >
      > Yes, the only difference in the calculation is where the power/s-units
      > go. One is power divided by 10 and the other is 10 divided by S units
      > which is why zero s-units is totally not a good idea.

      > I'm a software engineer, not an RF engineer. If I use 1 for the s-units
      > in the range calculation for a non-reception (zero) report, I'll be
      > good, right? A simple "yes" or "no" (and a note to that effect in the
      > Wiki) would be appreciated.

      Using an S-Units value of 1 for a non-reception report would be better
      than what we have now. In reality, the non-reception area should be
      bigger than the S1 reception area, but making them the same is close
      enough.

      What about splitting the difference between S1 and S0? S0.5 or such?
      Just a thought...

      To keep you happy though...

      YES.

      PS You missed a good chance at a meme from way back with this:

      > I'm a software engineer, not an RF engineer.

      It should have been "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an RF engineer!"