Re: [aprsisce] Map Tiles default

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
      On 10/2/2012 10:47 AM, Mykle Raymond wrote:
      > The default tileset is not the one most recently added, so I switch to
      > the usual one. However, the new one continues to be default, not the
      > one being used when restarting or exit/start (I've been trying
      > alternative ways of getting another tileset to "stick", but no success,
      > not that there are many alternatives).

      Wbatever tile set has the checkmark in the Configure / Map / Tile
      Sets-cascade is the one that will be used on a restart as well as used
      for any new MultiTracks that you open.

      The checked Tile Set will be the last one that you clicked Accept on via
      the Configure / Map / Tile Sets / <Whatever> configuration dialog.

      So to change the default startup and MultiTrack Tile Set, select it from
      the Configure / Map / Tile Sets cascade and click Accept.

      > Looking at the XML file, each of the TileServer sections is present and
      > appears to be the same format. Just above the TileServer sections is a
      > section of <OSM.xxxx> entries, which is currently specifying the new
      > tileset. I suspect that this section should show the tileset being used
      > when APRSIS32 is closed or restarted.
      >
      > Should the program be updating this section, or have I been missing a
      > manual method to specify a default tileset?

      Yes, it should, and that's what clicking Accept on a Tile Set
      configuration does, it copies the information from the TileServer to the
      OSM.* legacy entries.

      > This program has us hooked, and the hook is set. When Lynn is able to
      > devise alternate methods to place objects by coordinate and read
      > coordinates of a point on the map (other than manually moving the
      > cursor), we'll be able to get rid of additional programs. No this isn't
      > a new request, it's already on Lynn's list (we hope, we hope).

      Have you tried right-clicking on the map and notice the coordinates
      listed at the bottom of that popup menu? I know it's not everything you
      need, but is that the idea of "read coordinates of a point on the map"
      (although I'm not sure how any program would know what coordinate you
      want to read without you "manually moving the cursor" somehow)?

      Thank you for taking the time to describe the actual use case. I'm
      probably going to copy this e-mail to the bottom of the ToDo list
      because it's a really good description of the needs. User Interface
      isn't at the top of the priority list, but I will be getting to this
      sometime.

    • Mykle Raymond
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
        > Posted by: "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" kj4erj@... ldeffenb

        > Wbatever tile set has the checkmark in the Configure / Map / Tile
        > Sets-cascade is the one that will be used on a restart as well as used
        > for any new MultiTracks that you open.

        It works! There is a difference between the check-mark in
        Screen | Tile Set (selects the tileset to display)
        and
        Configure | Map | Tile Sets (selects the default AND tileset to display)

        >> This program has us hooked, and the hook is set. When Lynn is able to
        >> devise alternate methods to place objects by coordinate and read
        >> coordinates of a point on the map (other than manually moving the
        >> cursor), we'll be able to get rid of additional programs. No this isn't
        >> a new request, it's already on Lynn's list (we hope, we hope).
        >
        > Have you tried right-clicking on the map and notice the coordinates
        > listed at the bottom of that popup menu? I know it's not everything you
        > need, but is that the idea of "read coordinates of a point on the map"
        > (although I'm not sure how any program would know what coordinate you
        > want to read without you "manually moving the cursor" somehow)?

        Yes, that is useful to a limited degree. If I need to retrieve
        coordinates of a point, then I'll need to zoom in a lot, and maybe
        switch maps to an image. More of an argument for having a separate app.
        More arguments for that below.

        You are referring to the "cursor" as the crosshairs at the
        center-of-display. I can move the arrow to point at something else. If
        I wanted to mark a point, I'd point at it (with the arrow), right-click
        and select an option to place something there, then an attribute dialog
        would open that includes the ability to type coordinates and change the
        location. The dialog would also provide for choice of icon, comments,
        make-this-an-object, blah-de-blah. This I could do on the fly .. throw
        a point on the map and edit coordinates. Perfect.

        IDEALLY (I know that different platforms may make this problematic) a
        coordinate entry would automatically handle different formats (this
        would not be the first program to do so). Space or comma delimited.
        The first entry is degrees. The second is minutes. The third is
        seconds. One to three entries, use what you need. Any of them can be
        decimal (although only the last one should be decimal if any).

        You should consider the rest of the world, so we don't have to always
        include North/South and East/West, or use minus-signs. The map/
        crosshairs are in one geographic quadrant, so apply that to coord entry.

        This would be one place where the APRS format would not be appropriate.
        DDMM.mm would be hard to detect, rather than decimal degrees.

        The program can probably stick with decimal minutes, just to keep things
        simple. Only coordinate entry may provide for alternative formats.

        No, we don't need conversions between datums, since we assume the APRS
        standard which is the same as the GPS standard, WGS-84. That's an
        advanced topic and you'd better have an that can provide it. A
        dedicated mapping app should be sufficient (I use OziExplorer).

        No, we don't need conversions between projections (UTM). Use your
        mapping app.

        No kitchen sink needed, either. (a wash basin might be nice)
        73 de Mykle