Paths limited to a specific station

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
      Is there a way to limit the paths displayed to just a specific station?

      This would be used to display just the paths for a specific digipeater, so that one could visualize the coverage area of that digipeater, or to track a specific station and see which digipeaters that station made use of.

      I haven't found the magic combination yet if it does exist.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
        On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way to limit the paths displayed to just a specific station?
        >
        > This would be used to display just the paths for a specific digipeater, so that one could visualize the coverage area of that digipeater, or to track a specific station and see which digipeaters that station made use of.
        >
        > I haven't found the magic combination yet if it does exist.

        Of course, having sent the request, I think I just finally found it...

        Multitrack the digipeater in question, then select View|None, and then
        I have Paths selection set to show only first and direct, and it is
        showing me what the digipeater has heard.

        I guess you just have to ask the silly question before the answer will
        pop up! 8)

      • Greg D
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
          Is there a way to have the Path lines stick around (accumulate) for a while, so you can really see what's been heard?

          Greg  KO6TH

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012

            Paths appearance all, should keep them, I have that selected and they stay until I clear them

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
              No, it's already checked.  I also tried changing the Timer options (All, flash, short, long, etc), and they appear to have no effect on what is displayed.  I see the last path used on the screen, and it gets replaced by the next one.

              Greg  KO6TH

            Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
              On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:

              > Paths appearance all, should keep them, I have that selected and they stay
              > until I clear them

              Yup, you can accumulate paths for an awful long time. The stations that created the paths may be long gone, but the paths are still there.

              Here's a wide view of what the CALGRY digipeater has been hearing over the last few days.

              Inline image 1

              You can see the outlier stations are all digipeaters, and most of the coverage lines created by mobile stations driving around the city and local area.

              This would also give you a decent idea of just where you would be heard if you were operating in Calgary using a 2 hop path. If your first digipeater hop was through CALGRY, on the second hop, you would be digipeated by ALL of the digipeaters you can see on this map. A path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, or WIDE2-2 would put your packet out in front of EVERYONE that is within range of ANY of these digipeaters pictured here. That covers every digipeater in Southern Alberta, south of Pigeon Lake, and even into Montana.

              That's a lot of area, and if you have lots of users in the area, it can easily become an overcrowded network with reduced network reliability. In Alberta, once you get out of Edmonton or Calgary the heaviest users of the network are the digipeaters themselves, so we're blessed with a very reliable network.

              This view almost gives the type of outgoing path simulation display that I was talking about. You have to listen to your network for a while to be able to accumulate the paths, and not just rely on the APRS-IS stream for your information due to the heavy filtering imparted by that system.

              Once you have accumulated enough information, doing a multitrack on your local digipeater (or rather do one for EACH digipeater that can hear you direct), and then plotting the paths to the neighboring digipeaters, you can come up with an idea of the area that your packets will be being heard over... If the digipeaters report PHG properly, and IF you could enable PHG circles in the multitrack window, you could highlight the full coverage area being influenced as well.

              Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
                On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

                > No, it's already checked. I also tried changing the Timer options (All,
                > flash, short, long, etc), and they appear to have no effect on what is
                > displayed. I see the last path used on the screen, and it gets replaced by
                > the next one.

                Make sure you have the Network (Links) box checked too. Without it,
                you won't see any on the paths between stations even if ALL is
                selected.

                Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
                  There's two Alls in Screen / Paths / Appearance.  The top one shows all LInks as opposed to Direct, First, Middle, and Final.  The bottom one is what Steve is referring to which shows All ages as opposed to Flash, Short, Medium, Long, and Last (just the most recent).  If you click the Expert button you can also change the duration assigned to each of those options.

                  Note that the Screen / Paths / Appearance / Times selection also governs the stations that will be shown as Hearing and Heard in the station information popup which will be relatively empty on Flash, more useful on Medium (10 minutes) or Long (30 minutes).

                  Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
                    Are you sure you have Network (Links) selected?  Otherwise you'll only see the station's most recently transmitted Packet (assuming you have Station (Pkt) checked).

                    RF Only will also change a lot of what you see.

                    There's LOTS of capability (and confusion) in this particular dialog.  Play with it and see what you can see.  I have (so far) been able to pursuade it to show me what I've been curious about, but sometimes it takes some finagling on what is centered, viewed, and selected.

                    Message 10 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
                      Bingo!  That was it.

                      Thanks,

                      Greg  KO6TH

                      Message 11 of 11 , Sep 30, 2012
                        Yes, that was the problem.  What I'm after is a map of what I am hearing directly (to show the club's board what the coverage would be for the Repeater Object that I've proposed putting up).  As you say, I need to fiddle a bit, but I think I'm close.

                        Thanks,

                        Greg  KO6TH

                        APRSISCE/32Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com