Re: [aprsisce] APRSIS32 - High CPU utilization on old laptop.

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 27 4:15 AM
      I have this with my $$$ clients all the time.

      Them: Your application is responding slowly.
      Me: What else is on the machine?
      Them: Nothing but your app
      Me: Let me go look
      Me: What's this xyz process taking 100% of three of your four cores?
      Them:  Oh, never mind...

      I don't do .NET and actively avoid it with reason.  But I believe it's got some "discovery" or other support processes that run in the background that may be pushing your machine over the top to paging/thrashing or whatever.  Tracking down oddball performance issues can be a full time job.  I hope you find it in time.

      PS.  Have you considered the Steve Jobs (or was it Wosniak) approach to iPhone battery life and concurrent data access?  Two laptops?  (Just kidding)

      On 9/26/2012 11:34 PM, Bruce Coates wrote:
      Hi L:ynn

      Well, I think I found the culprit but I'm at a loss to explain it.  Once I removed .NET 3.5 and .NET 2.0 things went back to what I would expect with APRSIS32 loafing along at a couple of percent of the CPU.  If I drag the map around like crazy I can get it to spike at 80 percent or so but only very briefly.  I need .NET 2.0 something I wrote so I reloaded it and it's still fine.

      Weird, very weird.

      73, Bruce

      On 26/09/2012 9:30 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
      XP in 512MB and disk activity every second.  Sounds like either paging, virus scanning, or something else that Windows is up to.

      Bring up Task Manager and see if you can see what correlates with the disk chatter.  Can be tricky to catch, but it's possible.

      Also, does the disk chatter if APRSISCE/32 is closed?  Does it chatter if you disable Internet and have no active RF ports?

      Does it chatter if the other program is not running?  What is that program out of curiosity?

      On 9/26/2012 11:20 AM, Bruce Coates wrote:

      HiFred

      I’msurprised too since this is just about the lightest weight APRS client around.  There has to be something weird happening on this computer to cause it.

      73,Bruce – VE5BNC