QRU feature request and LOCALINFO (repeaters)

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012
      > PS. If this is in response to Bob's posting over on the aprssig,
      > all he should have needed to do was note the distance on his
      > D72 screen to the repeater object instead of assuming that
      > because he heard the object, he could hit the repeater...

      Ah, here we disagree. Internet jockies simply do not understand the
      realities of providing useful CONCISE information to mobile and
      handheld operators that have a TINY windows on the APRS world and a
      few buttons and not big PC screens and are sharing only a single 1200
      baud channel.

      The concept of LOCALINFO is that only what is LOCALLY RELEVANT is
      pushed to the users screen.

      Yes I DO ASSUME that if I receive the DATA it is LOCAL AND RELEVANT.
      Else it is SPAM and needs fixing and has no place on a shared 1200
      baud overloaded channel.

      There are over 900 PAGES (screens) of information available on the D72
      APRS radio for example, A user should not have to search through
      those 900 pages of SPAM to find out what local VOICE repeater covers
      WHERE HE IS STANDING.

      The system worked for me. It deliverd exactly what I needed to see.
      But it turned out to be SPAM. A repeater over 100 miles away that NO
      ONE IN THE AREA could even hope to hit.

      Yet the local freqs were NOT being beaconed. That was my complaint.

      Bob, WB4APR

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012
        I didn't mean to say that the repeater object wasn't using too long of a
        path, I was pointing out that your radio (I believe) had information
        available that you did not peruse before attempting to use the repeater
        in question. Even with a no-hop or specific digipeater hop, it's quite
        realistic to receive repeater objects that you cannot access from your
        receiving location, especially if the object is being transmitted by a
        very high digipeater and the repeater is on the opposite side of the
        coverage area.

        I'm not saying that was the situation in your case, just saying that a
        no-hop transmission may still deliver objects that the receiver needs to
        explore before assuming that they're accessible from his/her current
        location.

        In context, the request you extracted my PS from was dealing with a
        request to include distance information in the humanly-readable comment
        of a QRU response, NOT directly related to local information repeater
        objects.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012
          Since I was quoted,
          I am not sure that Bob knows what QRU is, I am sure he will correct me if I
          am wrong.
          The idea and what I was asking for a change to is the QRU system.
          A QRU server that ideally is local to you. The server holds objects of
          interest such as repeaters, with tuning info in that case. Someone
          travelling around can send a message to QRU with the text of say RP2M (for
          2M Analogue repeaters). And if a server holds objects close to you it will
          send them, as messages if possible. With also a summary message.
          If the server does not hold anything close to you it will not respond. It
          does require the server having seen a prostitution report from the
          requesting station...

          Torbay Freecycle Moderator

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012
            Steve, what are you doing with prostitution reports?

            8)

            Sent from my mobile device

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012

              I miss spelled position and spell checked, did not check the result.

              href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

              Windows Mobile and Win32

              > On 9/22/2012 11:32 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
              >>> PS. If this is in response to Bob's posting over on the aprssig,
              >>> all he should have needed to do was note the distance on his
              >>> D72 screen to the repeater object instead of assuming that
              >>> because he heard the object, he could hit the repeater...
              >> Ah, here we disagree. Internet jockies simply do not understand the
              >> realities of providing useful CONCISE information to mobile and
              >> handheld operators that have a TINY windows on the APRS world and a
              >> few buttons and not big PC screens and are sharing only a single 1200
              >> baud channel.
              >>
              >> The concept of LOCALINFO is that only what is LOCALLY RELEVANT is
              >> pushed to the users screen.
              >>
              >> Yes I DO ASSUME that if I receive the DATA it is LOCAL AND RELEVANT.
              >> Else it is SPAM and needs fixing and has no place on a shared 1200
              >> baud overloaded channel.
              >>
              >> There are over 900 PAGES (screens) of information available on the D72
              >> APRS radio for example, A user should not have to search through
              >> those 900 pages of SPAM to find out what local VOICE repeater covers
              >> WHERE HE IS STANDING.
              >>
              >> The system worked for me. It deliverd exactly what I needed to see.
              >> But it turned out to be SPAM. A repeater over 100 miles away that NO
              >> ONE IN THE AREA could even hope to hit.
              >>
              >> Yet the local freqs were NOT being beaconed. That was my complaint.
              >>
              >> Bob, WB4APR
              >>
              >>> On 9/22/2012 10:01 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Had another thought, can the distance be added to the message, you
              > request a repeater from a handheld, it would be useful to see the
              distance,
              > the repeater is from yourself
              >>>

              >>> Steve Daniels
              >>>
              >>> G6UIM
              >>>
              >>> Torbay Freecycle Moderator
              > http://http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle
              >>>
              >>> APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor
              href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

              >>> ________________________________

            • Adam Mahnke
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012
                Lol. I thought it was intentional.

                Adam
                KC2ANT

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012
                  I decidedly do NOT want to know!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 22, 2012

                    It was James that took it off topic

                    > Steve, what are you doing with prostitution reports?
                    >
                    > 8)
                    >

                    > On 9/22/12, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:
                    >> Since I was quoted,
                    >> I am not sure that Bob knows what QRU is, I am sure he will correct me if I
                    >> am wrong.
                    >> The idea and what I was asking for a change to is the QRU system.
                    >> A QRU server that ideally is local to you. The server holds objects of
                    >> interest such as repeaters, with tuning info in that case. Someone
                    >> travelling around can send a message to QRU with the text of say RP2M (for
                    >> 2M Analogue repeaters). And if a server holds objects close to you it will
                    >> send them, as messages if possible. With also a summary message.
                    >> If the server does not hold anything close to you it will not respond. It
                    >> does require the server having seen a prostitution report from the
                    >> requesting station...
                    >>
                    >> Steve Daniels
                    >> G6UIM
                    >> Torbay Freecycle Moderator
                    >> http://http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle
                    >> APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                  • g6enu
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 25, 2012
                      I wondered if it was connected in any way with the "promiscuous mode" that you can put Ethernet interfaces into.