windows tablets

  • ve6tdx
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012
      Hi group.
      I like to buy a windows os tablet instead of my big laptop.
      Has anybody use this setup and how is it performing in the mobile?
      Any ideas welcome.
      Adrian
      ve6tdx
    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012
        At 05:20 PM 2012-09-17, ve6tdx wrote:

        I like to buy a windows os tablet instead of my big laptop.
        Has anybody use this setup and how is it performing in the mobile?

        Whatever you do don't purchase a Windows 8 ARM tablet.  Not that any are available yet although they might be soon.   At least don't purchase any until you *know* that all the software you want to run, or will ever want to run, has been recompiled to run on the Windows 8 ARM platform.   Windows 8 ARM is very different in some respects compared to Windows 8.

        One of my programs (commercial and nothing to do with amateur radio) will require six months to a year to rewrite in a Windows and Windows 8 ARM compatible language/platform.  So it ain't gonna happen.

        Tony
      • Monty Denney
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012
          Asus has some pretty nice tablets, but I'm thinking I'll get a dell ultra book.

          Monty Denney CRNA
          C 806-382-2298
          7717 Christina Ave
          Amarillo, Texas 79121

          On Sep 17, 2012, at 6:20 PM, "ve6tdx" <adrianburg@...> wrote:

          Hi group.
          I like to buy a windows os tablet instead of my big laptop.
          Has anybody use this setup and how is it performing in the mobile?
          Any ideas welcome.
          Adrian
          ve6tdx

        • Curtis Bidulock
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012

            I am using an ASUS EP121 and have been very happy with it. I purchased a RAM Mount for the vehicle and use it a fair amount for mobile APRS.

            Curtis Bidulock VE6AEW
            Section Emergency Coordinator
            Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC)
            Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) Alberta
            ve6aew@...

            http://www.aresalberta.ca

            Cell: 780-721-5311
            Res: 780-922-7025