RE: {Some tags disabled} RE: [aprsisce] Help RNLI AIS to APRS

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 14, 2012
    I guess I left a bit out. I do watch AIS activity on a couple of different websites. That part is easy. Try and get the data to display in another application is more difficult. For instance, I would like to read all data and display what I wish to see on APRSIS32. That is the difficult part. Even if I could put up a successful AIS receiver, I would only be able to see data from the service(s) I decide to feed. Getting the data to display in APRSIS32 is easy. Getting the data is difficult.

    If you watch the various AIS websites closely, you will see, on occasion, a vessel on one website but not another. I suspect this is due to a private receiver only sending data to the one server. Even on APRS.FI, not all vessels are shown. Sadly not all receiver station operators are uploading data to it. Europe has a boatload of receivers operating.

    One of the websites I like is http://www.vesselfinder.com. This site actually will use (create?) a icon to match the vessel dimensions. Zoom in and look careful at the icons. You should notice the blue triangle and the larger gray polygon. The AIS data can show antenna location in relationship to the overall vessel. The AIS data is packed with various bits of fun. Check out the two attached PNGs and you can see the GPS antenna location with the outline of the vessel.

    One vessel I track normally is Liberty Service. It is a ocean going tug (image attached). It is often seen pushing the barge KE5KTU-9. The barge moves between Albany NY, NYC NY, Boston MA, Portland ME and a point further north. I usually follow KE5KTU-9 in a Multitrack window with nautical tiles.

    Message 2 of 21 , Sep 14, 2012
      Hi Fred
      i am located near the St-Laurence River in the province of Quebec,one of the busiest river in North America .
      I am + or - 1000 feets from the river,i can see ship all day long passing by.
      One of my friends that just retired and owner of a sail boat called me and ask if their were system like AIS for Radio-Amateur :we talked about APRS and i told that they were no communication between the 2 systems.
      He said that on his boat he loved to have both system on the same map as APRS .

      I know that behind what we could hoped ,there are data that need to be re-route,,,,,,,,,,i am not an expert at all.
      Many times it is easyer to write what we think that to program a software to do what we want it to do.

      maybe someday there will be a kind of bridge between the 2 so it would be a + for us living near the water ways.

      BTW thanks all of you behind you screen,monitore that helps keeping APRS alive and kicking!!!!!!!! :-)

      73
      Gervais ve2ckn

      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FVA2DQ&timerange=3600

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: fmhillhouse@...
      Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:36:00 -0400
      Subject: RE: {Some tags disabled} RE: [aprsisce] Help RNLI AIS to APRS [2 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Fred Hillhouse included below]

      Message 3 of 21 , Sep 14, 2012

        It seems quite a few people would like to do a similar thing to myself.

        Have done some investigation and found a couple of free programs that will decode from a soundcard and then make a tcp port available with the decoded data.

        I put out a request on my local Freecycle (I am a moderator) and have an old Icom IC-M11 to pickup for free tomorrow. This has an MC3357 discriminator 10K, resistor attached to pin 9 then attached to soundcard and good to go.

        So at least for local display within APRSIS32 it does not seem too much of a pain to do, ok it’s 3 bits of software connected together.

        I need to get setup and see whats happening, to supply Lynn with the required info, if indeed he is interested in doing anything

        I can see it being of use to Amateurs who have boats..

        I would ultimately like to put it out as a local RF thing no hops no gating and be available on my l JavAPRSsrvr for locals to connect to, but I have no clue how to inject data into that without it going upstream. I DO NOT WANT TO SEND TO THE WHOLE WORLD.

        Anyone know how to do that?

        It would be nice if UZ7HO soundmodem could do 9600baud for AIS Decoded and Lynn decoded the data, it’s going away from APRS I know

        Message 4 of 21 , Sep 14, 2012
          When you create a port, you have the option of selecting RF -> IS. Leave it unchecked and everything stays local. Keeping it local is that simple. :)

          I played with the TEXT port that is used for APRS Messenger (30M APRS). I found it to be a simple way to send a packet to APRSIS32. APRSIS32 wouldn't even send the data over RF even if selected but you will need to keep RF->IS unchecked. Hmm, I said that already didn't I?

          When I was playing with the TEXT port I was sending data out a serial to another serial port on the same machine. At the time I didn't have a mechanism to send data directly. There are easier ways now. Although, if you put the AIS stuff on a DT366, you can send it to your APRSIS32 machine. Thinking out loud here ...

          With your LUA skills, convert the data to an APRS packet of your choice and send it.

          Message 5 of 21 , Sep 14, 2012
            In Canada it is illegal to "repeat" transmissions from a commercial
            service onto the amateur bands.

            You could argue that the process of decoding and reencoding nullifies
            that legality, but I wouldn't do it, and I would actively lobby anyone
            doing so in my area to shut down the "service".

            Using APRS to track the "commercial" vessel is an area for contention
            for some people. I push into a lot of grey areas myself, but I'd stay
            away from thus one.

            My D700 that is currently tracking my progress on the way home on this
            500 km trip from work is in my company vehicle. My service coordinator
            uses aprs.fi to keep tabs on my progress to ensure my safety. You
            could say that's commercial use, but I'm running my ham station for my
            own use, the fact that work can track me is coincidental. If I put
            trackers on every work vehicle, and we used APRS as an integral part
            of our safety plan, that would be over the line in my mind.

            If we had an alternate commercial tracking system in place, and I
            resent my coworker's positions over the local APRS channel, would you
            consider that acceptable?

            The fact that one is a charitable organization and the other is a for
            profit entity doesn't change the basic laws.

            Just my thoughts. Each operator needs to decide if their operation is
            within the applicable laws for their area.

            Sent from my mobile device

          • Gervais Fillion
            Message 6 of 21 , Sep 14, 2012
              James
              " My service coordinator
              uses aprs.fi to keep tabs on my progress to ensure my safety. You
              could say that's commercial use, but I'm running my ham station for my
              own use, the fact that work can track me is coincidental. "

              i would never use my hobby ,even as security mention,on my job.
              My previous employer knew that i was a radio-amateur and knew about APRS.
              he tolded me that he would not object if i install a tracker in my vehicule to "follow me " if bad things happen to me,i said no.

              Finally he paid and install a Commercial GPS service,,,,,,he loved watching me on the monitor:a new version of "Big Brother".

              Gervais ve2ckn

              To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
              From: ve6srv@...
              Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:13:11 -0600
              Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Help RNLI AIS to APRS

              In Canada it is illegal to "repeat" transmissions from a commercial
              service onto the amateur bands.

              You could argue that the process of decoding and reencoding nullifies
              that legality, but I wouldn't do it, and I would actively lobby anyone
              doing so in my area to shut down the "service".

              Using APRS to track the "commercial" vessel is an area for contention
              for some people. I push into a lot of grey areas myself, but I'd stay
              away from thus one.

              My D700 that is currently tracking my progress on the way home on this
              500 km trip from work is in my company vehicle. My service coordinator
              uses aprs.fi to keep tabs on my progress to ensure my safety. You
              could say that's commercial use, but I'm running my ham station for my
              own use, the fact that work can track me is coincidental. If I put
              trackers on every work vehicle, and we used APRS as an integral part
              of our safety plan, that would be over the line in my mind.

              If we had an alternate commercial tracking system in place, and I
              resent my coworker's positions over the local APRS channel, would you
              consider that acceptable?

              The fact that one is a charitable organization and the other is a for
              profit entity doesn't change the basic laws.

              Just my thoughts. Each operator needs to decide if their operation is
              within the applicable laws for their area.

              On 9/14/12, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
              > When you create a port, you have the option of selecting RF -> IS. Leave it
              > unchecked and everything stays local. Keeping it local is that simple. :)
              >
              > I played with the TEXT port that is used for APRS Messenger (30M APRS). I
              > found it to be a simple way to send a packet to APRSIS32. APRSIS32 wouldn't
              > even send the data over RF even if selected but you will need to keep
              > RF->IS
              > unchecked. Hmm, I said that already didn't I?
              >
              > When I was playing with the TEXT port I was sending data out a serial to
              > another serial port on the same machine. At the time I didn't have a
              > mechanism to send data directly. There are easier ways now. Although, if
              > you
              > put the AIS stuff on a DT366, you can send it to your APRSIS32 machine.
              > Thinking out loud here ...
              >
              > With your LUA skills, convert the data to an APRS packet of your choice and
              > send it.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Fred, N7FMH
              >

              > _____

              Sent from my mobile device

            • KK4DFZ
              Message 7 of 21 , Sep 14, 2012

                Details on how to get an AIS feed of particular vessels or areas from marinetraffic.com are at

                http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/exporttext.aspx

                Up to you to figure out how to get them where you want, but lots of marine businesses use this API to drive local charts on their own websites.

                Sorry to hear about the loss of the Sarah Jayne and her captain.

              • fmhillhouse@comcast.net
                Message 8 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                  Personally I am for not sending anything over APRS that doesn't belong there. AIS is one of those things. The discussion, at least for me, is not about resending data, but about displaying on the same interface. In this particular case, I do not see a conflict of law.

                  Some may contend that water wagons, ambulances, etc, during a SAR (or similar) mission fall outside of APRS. But it the Amateur Radio Service has been called to perform, then it is clearly within the "service" aspect. Without the Amateur Radio Service working side by side, then all these items don't belong on APRS.

                  Now if a tracker is added and used within the confines of amateur radio, then I don't see an issue. Case in point, I watch KE5KTU-9. He is a amateur radio operator and the fact that he has put a Yaesu FTM-350 on the barge he works on is within the law.

                  In the case of James adding a D710 to each company vehicle and tracking them, even with his call sign is probably within the law but seems inappropriate to me. But, if I, or anyone else, put a tracker in a spouse's vehicle, it is appropriate. The commercial entity makes a difference. At least to me anyway. It looks like I agree with James. :)

                  I like black and white but sometimes the grey is more interesting. ;)

                  In Canada it is illegal to "repeat" transmissions from a commercial
                  service onto the amateur bands.

                  You could argue that the process of decoding and reencoding nullifies
                  that legality, but I wouldn't do it, and I would actively lobby anyone
                  doing so in my area to shut down the "service".

                  Using APRS to track the "commercial" vessel is an area for contention
                  for some people. I push into a lot of grey areas myself, but I'd stay
                  away from thus one.

                  My D700 that is currently tracking my progress on the way home on this
                  500 km trip from work is in my company vehicle. My service coordinator
                  uses aprs.fi to keep tabs on my progress to ensure my safety. You
                  could say that's commercial use, but I'm running my ham station for my
                  own use, the fact that work can track me is coincidental. If I put
                  trackers on every work vehicle, and we used APRS as an integral part
                  of our safety plan, that would be over the line in my mind.

                  If we had an alternate commercial tracking system in place, and I
                  resent my coworker's positions over the local APRS channel, would you
                  consider that acceptable?

                  The fact that one is a charitable organization and the other is a for
                  profit entity doesn't change the basic laws.

                  Just my thoughts. Each operator needs to decide if their operation is
                  within the applicable laws for their area.

                  On 9/14/12, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                  > When you create a port, you have the option of selecting RF -> IS. Leave it
                  > unchecked and everything stays local. Keeping it local is that simple. :)
                  >
                  > I played with the TEXT port that is used for APRS Messenger (30M APRS). I
                  > found it to be a simple way to send a packet to APRSIS32. APRSIS32 wouldn't
                  > even send the data over RF even if selected but you will need to keep
                  > RF->IS
                  > unchecked. Hmm, I said that already didn't I?
                  >
                  > When I was playing with the TEXT port I was sending data out a serial to
                  > another serial port on the same machine. At the time I didn't have a
                  > mechanism to send data directly. There are easier ways now. Although, if
                  > you
                  > put the AIS stuff on a DT366, you can send it to your APRSIS32 machine.
                  > Thinking out loud here ...
                  >
                  > With your LUA skills, convert the data to an APRS packet of your choice and
                  > send it.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Fred, N7FMH
                  >

                  > _____

                  Sent from my mobile device

                • fmhillhouse@comcast.net
                  Message 9 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                    APRS.FI is a display, it does not resend data. That is the important part to remember. Now if APRS.FI somehow could resend then it would be wrong if it could do so in Canada.

                    From: ve6srv@...
                    Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:13:11 -0600

                    In Canada it is illegal to "repeat" transmissions from a commercial
                    service onto the amateur bands.

                    You could argue that the process of decoding and reencoding nullifies
                    that legality, but I wouldn't do it, and I would actively lobby anyone
                    doing so in my area to shut down the "service".

                    Using APRS to track the "commercial" vessel is an area for contention
                    for some people. I push into a lot of grey areas myself, but I'd stay
                    away from thus one.

                    My D700 that is currently tracking my progress on the way home on this
                    500 km trip from work is in my company vehicle. My service coordinator
                    uses aprs.fi to keep tabs on my progress to ensure my safety. You
                    could say that's commercial use, but I'm running my ham station for my
                    own use, the fact that work can track me is coincidental. If I put
                    trackers on every work vehicle, and we used APRS as an integral part
                    of our safety plan, that would be over the line in my mind.

                    If we had an alternate commercial tracking system in place, and I
                    resent my coworker's positions over the local APRS channel, would you
                    consider that acceptable?

                    The fact that one is a charitable organization and the other is a for
                    profit entity doesn't change the basic laws.

                    Just my thoughts. Each operator needs to decide if their operation is
                    within the applicable laws for their area.

                    On 9/14/12, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                    > When you create a port, you have the option of selecting RF -> IS. Leave it
                    > unchecked and everything stays local. Keeping it local is that simple. :)
                    >
                    > I played with the TEXT port that is used for APRS Messenger (30M APRS). I
                    > found it to be a simple way to send a packet to APRSIS32. APRSIS32 wouldn't
                    > even send the data over RF even if selected but you will need to keep
                    > RF->IS
                    > unchecked. Hmm, I said that already didn't I?
                    >
                    > When I was playing with the TEXT port I was sending data out a serial to
                    > another serial port on the same machine. At the time I didn't have a
                    > mechanism to send data directly. There are easier ways now. Although, if
                    > you
                    > put the AIS stuff on a DT366, you can send it to your APRSIS32 machine.
                    > Thinking out loud here ...
                    >
                    > With your LUA skills, convert the data to an APRS packet of your choice and
                    > send it.
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Fred, N7FMH
                    >

                    > _____

                    Sent from my mobile device

                  • Hank Lambert
                    Message 10 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012

                      Is it legal? Installing a transmitter in vehicles that you are not in control of that will be automatically transmitting with your callsign doesn’t sound legal; but then again, I am no lawyer.

                      73,

                      Hank Lambert

                      KB4MTO/TA5ZC

                      hank@...

                      kb4mto@...

                      www.hanklambert.com

                      PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

                      Years ago, many hams used to work a lot of DX until they got their hands on an SWR meter and found out they couldn't.

[...]

                      ,___

                    • fmhillhouse@comcast.net
                      Message 11 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                        Then, I guess I have to ask:
                        Once you get out of your vehicle, if you leave the radio system operating, is it legal? You would nor longer be present and you are the control operator.

                        It is legal. In the event the station needs to be shut down, I can contact my wife (or other driver) and they can shut it down if necessary. I don't have time to find the references but I have done so.

                        Message 12 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                          The unattended station thing always comes up. If you can't leave an
                          APRS station unattended, then there would be no digipeaters on
                          mountaintops. People don't sit on the mountaintop 24/7 with their
                          finger on the off switch.

                          Driving a vehicle with an APRS station onboard does not make you the
                          control operator of the station.

                          The topic at hand is totally different though.

                          Automatic rebroadcast of transmissions from another radio service is the topic.

                          --
                          Sent from my mobile device

                        • Gervais Fillion
                          Message 13 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                            If i may add ,
                            why AIS would be a + for APRS is just to be able to SEE NEAR SHIP,i dont want to retransmit them on RF side of my Uiview.In fact it is much a personnal need .
                            It is my curiosity that here .

                            maybe one day,when i am connected at my Aprs Server i will add in my Filter /AIS and see via my Distance setting ,lets say 150 milles,all ship near me Thats All i want and need.

                            Thanks all,the discuccion is quite interesting from here

                            73
                            gervais ve2ckn

                            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                            In Canada it is illegal to "repeat" transmissions from a commercial
                            service onto the amateur bands.

                            You could argue that the process of decoding and reencoding nullifies
                            that legality, but I wouldn't do it, and I would actively lobby anyone
                            doing so in my area to shut down the "service".

                            Using APRS to track the "commercial" vessel is an area for contention
                            for some people. I push into a lot of grey areas myself, but I'd stay
                            away from thus one.

                            My D700 that is currently tracking my progress on the way home on this
                            500 km trip from work is in my company vehicle. My service coordinator
                            uses aprs.fi to keep tabs on my progress to ensure my safety. You
                            could say that's commercial use, but I'm running my ham station for my
                            own use, the fact that work can track me is coincidental. If I put
                            trackers on every work vehicle, and we used APRS as an integral part
                            of our safety plan, that would be over the line in my mind.

                            If we had an alternate commercial tracking system in place, and I
                            resent my coworker's positions over the local APRS channel, would you
                            consider that acceptable?

                            The fact that one is a charitable organization and the other is a for
                            profit entity doesn't change the basic laws.

                            Just my thoughts. Each operator needs to decide if their operation is
                            within the applicable laws for their area.

                            On 9/14/12, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                            > When you create a port, you have the option of selecting RF -> IS. Leave it
                            > unchecked and everything stays local. Keeping it local is that simple. :)
                            >
                            > I played with the TEXT port that is used for APRS Messenger (30M APRS). I
                            > found it to be a simple way to send a packet to APRSIS32. APRSIS32 wouldn't
                            > even send the data over RF even if selected but you will need to keep
                            > RF->IS
                            > unchecked. Hmm, I said that already didn't I?
                            >
                            > When I was playing with the TEXT port I was sending data out a serial to
                            > another serial port on the same machine. At the time I didn't have a
                            > mechanism to send data directly. There are easier ways now. Although, if
                            > you
                            > put the AIS stuff on a DT366, you can send it to your APRSIS32 machine.
                            > Thinking out loud here ...
                            >
                            > With your LUA skills, convert the data to an APRS packet of your choice and
                            > send it.
                            >
                            > Best regards,
                            > Fred, N7FMH
                            >

                            > _____

                            Sent from my mobile device

                            Message 14 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012

                              I can certainly see the point of not sending over RF, I only thought about doing one boat and a SAR vessel at that. But I see it would open things up to abuse..

                              Ideally I would like local amateurs to be able to see what I am receiving.

                              But really just displaying AIS data on screen would be great, either connecting to a software modem and being able to connect an AIS Receiver via serial or USB. Those amateurs who use APRS on boats or live near the sea would love it.

                              Having looked around the software available is either not on a par with APRSIS32 or expensive, and I think there would be a market for an AIS version of APRSIS32 for non amateurs. I certainly feel it would be worth Lynn looking into.

                              target="_blank">http://http:/uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle>

                              target="_blank">http://www.vesselfinder.com. This site
                              > actually will use (create?) a icon to match the vessel dimensions. Zoom in
                              > and look careful at the icons. You should notice the blue triangle and the
                              > larger gray polygon. The AIS data can show antenna location in
                              relationship
                              > to the overall vessel. The AIS data is packed with various bits of fun.
                              > Check out the two attached PNGs and you can see the GPS antenna location
                              > with the outline of the vessel.
                              >

                              > One vessel I track normally is Liberty Service. It is a ocean going tug
                              > (image attached). It is often seen pushing the barge KE5KTU-9. The barge
                              > moves between Albany NY, NYC NY, Boston MA, Portland ME and a point
                              further
                              > north. I usually follow KE5KTU-9 in a Multitrack window with nautical
                              > tiles.
                              >

                              > Best regards,
                              >
                              > Fred, N7FMH
                              >

                              > _____

                              Sent from my mobile device

                              Message 15 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                                In the UK it putting a tracker using amateur frequencies in something you
                                are not driving. Balloons that go up here are not even allowed on Amateur
                                Frequencies

                                And I agree with you James, my thought on resending AIS onto RF was not a
                                good one

                                --
                                Sent from my mobile device

                              • KK4DFZ
                                Message 16 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012

                                  You could tap an old marine radio (or any receiver that will pick up channels 87 and 88) and use aismon to decode and send the data out TCP/IP.  SeaClear will allow you to display it.  See discriminator.nl for help tapping the receiver.

                                  In Canada it is illegal to "repeat" transmissions from a commercial
                                  service onto the amateur bands.

                                  You could argue that the process of decoding and reencoding nullifies
                                  that legality, but I wouldn't do it, and I would actively lobby anyone
                                  doing so in my area to shut down the "service".

                                  Using APRS to track the "commercial" vessel is an area for contention
                                  for some people. I push into a lot of grey areas myself, but I'd stay
                                  away from thus one.

                                  My D700 that is currently tracking my progress on the way home on this
                                  500 km trip from work is in my company vehicle. My service coordinator
                                  uses aprs.fi to keep tabs on my progress to ensure my safety. You
                                  could say that's commercial use, but I'm running my ham station for my
                                  own use, the fact that work can track me is coincidental. If I put
                                  trackers on every work vehicle, and we used APRS as an integral part
                                  of our safety plan, that would be over the line in my mind.

                                  If we had an alternate commercial tracking system in place, and I
                                  resent my coworker's positions over the local APRS channel, would you
                                  consider that acceptable?

                                  The fact that one is a charitable organization and the other is a for
                                  profit entity doesn't change the basic laws.

                                  Just my thoughts. Each operator needs to decide if their operation is
                                  within the applicable laws for their area.

                                  On 9/14/12, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                                  > When you create a port, you have the option of selecting RF -> IS. Leave it
                                  > unchecked and everything stays local. Keeping it local is that simple. :)
                                  >
                                  > I played with the TEXT port that is used for APRS Messenger (30M APRS). I
                                  > found it to be a simple way to send a packet to APRSIS32. APRSIS32 wouldn't
                                  > even send the data over RF even if selected but you will need to keep
                                  > RF->IS
                                  > unchecked. Hmm, I said that already didn't I?
                                  >
                                  > When I was playing with the TEXT port I was sending data out a serial to
                                  > another serial port on the same machine. At the time I didn't have a
                                  > mechanism to send data directly. There are easier ways now. Although, if
                                  > you
                                  > put the AIS stuff on a DT366, you can send it to your APRSIS32 machine.
                                  > Thinking out loud here ...
                                  >
                                  > With your LUA skills, convert the data to an APRS packet of your choice and
                                  > send it.
                                  >
                                  > Best regards,
                                  > Fred, N7FMH
                                  >

                                  > _____

                                  Sent from my mobile device

                                  Message 17 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                                    On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Steve Daniels
                                    <steve@...> wrote:

                                    > In the UK it putting a tracker using amateur frequencies in something you
                                    > are not driving. Balloons that go up here are not even allowed on Amateur
                                    > Frequencies

                                    With the restrictions you guys have in the UK, I was wondering how
                                    that would be looked at...

                                    > And I agree with you James, my thought on resending AIS onto RF was not a
                                    > good one

                                    I understand the desire, but others might have issues with the
                                    concept. I'd just opt to not do it...

                                    Message 18 of 21 , Sep 17, 2012
                                      On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                                      > On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Steve Daniels
                                      > <steve@...> wrote:
                                      >> And I agree with you James, my thought on resending AIS onto RF was not a
                                      >> good one
                                      >
                                      > I understand the desire, but others might have issues with the
                                      > concept. I'd just opt to not do it...

                                      Have a look at what might happen if you set up an automated
                                      retransmission of position reports from another service...

                                      http://aprs.fi/info/F-CLIN

                                      Specifically look at the stations near this station, as well as the
                                      raw data from these stations.

                                      I doubt that all of these aircraft have APRS onboard, and the q
                                      construct gives a clue that these *might* be packets generated by the
                                      server CHALLES.

                                      qAS - Packet was received from another server or generated by this server.
                                      The latter case would be for a beacon generated by the server.

                                      Message 19 of 21 , Sep 17, 2012

                                        Yes that system seems to get very active at weekends, with a lot of objects sending very frequently