Re: [aprsisce] Closer and closer to a full "APRS" solution...

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
      Blame it on fat Blackberry fingers. I typed that just before having to
      meet my client while sitting in the parking lot.

      I'm siiting watching from 40 km NE, and don't see much action yet. I
      guess I might have to drive down there after work and kick some butt.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
        Lift off for VE6ATV-11!

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
          It looks like your D7 (-7) made it to play time at least.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
            Watching VE6ATV-11 fly from EA3! APRS-IS is really cool!

            Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Remote Balloon Monitoring!

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
              Watching VE6ATV-11 fly from Scotford. APRS is cool... Work SUCKS!

              I wanna go chase the pretty balloon!

            • Tim N9PUZ
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                Nice track!

                Tim N9PUZ

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                  On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

                  > Nice track!

                  For those interested in a quick snippet of the photos...

                  http://picasaweb.google.com/ve6srv/UofAJuly8Launch?feat=directlink

                  This flight was part of a Space Camp put on by the local University
                  for Junior High School students. The kids got to make space suits for
                  their astronauts (Stuffed Bears), which were lifted into near space.
                  The kids get to take their bears home as a keepsake. They get to see
                  what their bears could have seen from the near reaches of outerspace.

                  This is the fun part of the hobby. Getting to use the neat toys we
                  have access to in order to get kids excited about science and school.
                  They see real world applications of the boring stuff they have to read
                  in their school books.

                  Making education FUN!

                  (And Lynn makes chasing bears easy with APRS-ISCE/32!)

                • gsdatplace
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                    > This flight was part of a Space Camp put on by the local University
                    > for Junior High School students. The kids got to make space suits for
                    > their astronauts (Stuffed Bears), which were lifted into near space.
                    > The kids get to take their bears home as a keepsake. They get to see
                    > what their bears could have seen from the near reaches of outerspace.

                    One thing that I'm not sure how the university students didn't understand, which II though they would have was that since we were expecting a higher than normal chance of a water landing we mounted the antenna inside the package just to reduce the number of holes.

                    Normally this wouldn't have been a issue, but somewhere lost in translation "building spacesuits" which I thought might involve fabric and sewing became "wrapping teddybears in tinfoil"...

                    Lol, it was a interesting couple of minutes of head scratching when they came with a box of metal to wrap around then antenna's, but luckily one bear wasn't wrapped in foil, be became the spacer between the antenna and the rest of the bears, and it must have worked as we heard it not to bad over the duration of the flight.

                    Garrett
                    VE6RKY
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                    gsdatplace wrote:
                    > I just wanted to take a moment to thank Lynn once again (between arguing/begging for features) for taking on the challenge of attempting to create "the" standard replacement APRS program for the masses.
                    >
                    > Thank you again Lynn and for all the hard work you've done, please keep up the good work!

                    You're welcome. Now that I've used it without change for 2+ weeks, I'm
                    going to shuffle some priorities. Objects (especially for local
                    display) is coming up fast as is a range/bearing to track an object.
                    It'll make it easier to waypoint my car and then get back to it in
                    foreign (unknown) city streets.

                    > PS... If you get the chance, can you please fit in a network APRS server and file logging? (Ok, I know, a bit of a cheap shot, but that's all I need!)

                    I missed the launch, but I've attached the GPX file resulting from "Save
                    Track" on the balloons popup menu. Not quite the file logging you want,
                    but at least it's the track!

                    I've got these two on the list. On the APRS server, is it ok to be
                    receive-only, or does it need to accept position beacons from the local
                    client(s)?

                    Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                  • gsdatplace
                    Message 10 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                      > I missed the launch, but I've attached the GPX file resulting from "Save
                      > Track" on the balloons popup menu. Not quite the file logging you want,
                      > but at least it's the track!

                      I'll have to send you some pics, there were two HD cameras on board taking pics every 15 seconds, one out the bottom one out the side, some great shots, even passed through a couple of jet trails...

                      > I've got these two on the list. On the APRS server, is it ok to be
                      > receive-only, or does it need to accept position beacons from the local
                      > client(s)?

                      Receive only is fine, I only used UI-view on this flight to log all the incoming data to a playable log file, which I'll have to playback through balloon track to build a flight log, (it can load packet data files as well which is what I'm really after) and to take all the incoming packets from AGWPE Pro and the APRS feed and pass them to balloon track via a local server. so basically if any incoming packets on any "port" and APRS-IS can be logged to a file and also made accessable via a TCPIP port it would replace UI-View completly.

                      The tracks were wonderful for getting a idea of where it was going to land, better than anything I've used before, the only two issues I found on this flight:
                      1. The speed readout on the screen seems to only be in MPH regardless of the mph/kph setting, not a big issue but a observation.
                      2. I had a wireless router connected to a wireless network adapter in the back of the truck which I connected to, well wirelessly. If I had a connection to the router, but it didn't have a internet connection, and APRS-IS was enabled in the settings, APRSISCE32 would hang on starting then crash, I had to disable my wireless connection to get it running...

                      Thanks again for all your work Lynn.

                      Garrett
                      VE6RKY
                      Message 11 of 15 , Jul 9, 2010
                        Now I understand the "chasing bears" status.

                        Thanks!

                        Fred
                        N7FMH