Closer and closer to a full "APRS" solution...

  • gsdatplace
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
      I just wanted to take a moment to thank Lynn once again (between arguing/begging for features) for taking on the challenge of attempting to create "the" standard replacement APRS program for the masses.

      In getting ready for my next balloon flight in the morning for the UofA physics department, and I've spent many many hours configuring UI-View for logging & UI-point for tracking, AGW Packet engine to tie into the 3 radio's I'm running as well as Franson GPS Gate to share my gps...

      In the end, after configuring everything, I was hoping to run only APRSIS32 throughout the flight on this machine, which I believe will come soon enough, but I still require UI-view to provide a APRS local server and run as a primary logging system.

      But the best part is, with all the features Lynn has already included, I have a incredible wireless remote monitor setup on my netbook which at the moment blows me away...

      My netbooks running only APRSIS, and is getting a IS connection via a USB G3 network connection, while its also pulling GPS data from a networked wireless GPS unit served from Franson GPS Gate, while also pulling data from 3 TNC's via AGWPE over a networked wireless link...

      So in the end, I have a beautiful, simple, free, and constantly supported application pulling data from many different sources over multiple wireless connections configured from a initial install in only a few minutes that covers 90% of everything I need it to do... and this is only at the moment, after arriving on the scene less than a year ago...

      Thank you again Lynn and for all the hard work you've done, please keep up the good work!

      PS... If you get the chance, can you please fit in a network APRS server and file logging? (Ok, I know, a bit of a cheap shot, but that's all I need!)

      Garrett
      VE6RKY
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
        Hi Garrett,

        Having never used UI-View, I find Lynn's work to be incredible. I look forward to his return to the project.

        "can you please fit in a network APRS server and file logging?"
        On the most recent version (2010/06/16), look into "Toolbar=>Enables=>Logging", you may be able to do the file logging you are thinking of. If not, you might describe what is missing from "file logging".
        What do you mean by "network server"? Inquiring minds want to know.

        Do you have a launch date / call sign? I would like to track the fight as well.  :)

        Best regards,
        Fred

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
          Look for VE66ATV-11 from Edmonton, AB.

          It might be a different SSID, but probably -11.

          I have to do an RF survey today so I'll have to watch from the
          sidelines. Launch should happen about 9:30 local. About 1.5 hours from
          now.

          http://aprs.fi/ve6atv-11

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
            Any chance that might really be VE666ATV-11 instead?  ];)

            Thanks! I'll be watching!

            Best regards,
            Fred

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
              Blame it on fat Blackberry fingers. I typed that just before having to
              meet my client while sitting in the parking lot.

              I'm siiting watching from 40 km NE, and don't see much action yet. I
              guess I might have to drive down there after work and kick some butt.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                Lift off for VE6ATV-11!

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                  It looks like your D7 (-7) made it to play time at least.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                    Watching VE6ATV-11 fly from EA3! APRS-IS is really cool!

                    Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Remote Balloon Monitoring!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                      Watching VE6ATV-11 fly from Scotford. APRS is cool... Work SUCKS!

                      I wanna go chase the pretty balloon!

                    • Tim N9PUZ
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                        Nice track!

                        Tim N9PUZ

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                          On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

                          > Nice track!

                          For those interested in a quick snippet of the photos...

                          http://picasaweb.google.com/ve6srv/UofAJuly8Launch?feat=directlink

                          This flight was part of a Space Camp put on by the local University
                          for Junior High School students. The kids got to make space suits for
                          their astronauts (Stuffed Bears), which were lifted into near space.
                          The kids get to take their bears home as a keepsake. They get to see
                          what their bears could have seen from the near reaches of outerspace.

                          This is the fun part of the hobby. Getting to use the neat toys we
                          have access to in order to get kids excited about science and school.
                          They see real world applications of the boring stuff they have to read
                          in their school books.

                          Making education FUN!

                          (And Lynn makes chasing bears easy with APRS-ISCE/32!)

                        • gsdatplace
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                            > This flight was part of a Space Camp put on by the local University
                            > for Junior High School students. The kids got to make space suits for
                            > their astronauts (Stuffed Bears), which were lifted into near space.
                            > The kids get to take their bears home as a keepsake. They get to see
                            > what their bears could have seen from the near reaches of outerspace.

                            One thing that I'm not sure how the university students didn't understand, which II though they would have was that since we were expecting a higher than normal chance of a water landing we mounted the antenna inside the package just to reduce the number of holes.

                            Normally this wouldn't have been a issue, but somewhere lost in translation "building spacesuits" which I thought might involve fabric and sewing became "wrapping teddybears in tinfoil"...

                            Lol, it was a interesting couple of minutes of head scratching when they came with a box of metal to wrap around then antenna's, but luckily one bear wasn't wrapped in foil, be became the spacer between the antenna and the rest of the bears, and it must have worked as we heard it not to bad over the duration of the flight.

                            Garrett
                            VE6RKY
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                            gsdatplace wrote:
                            > I just wanted to take a moment to thank Lynn once again (between arguing/begging for features) for taking on the challenge of attempting to create "the" standard replacement APRS program for the masses.
                            >
                            > Thank you again Lynn and for all the hard work you've done, please keep up the good work!

                            You're welcome. Now that I've used it without change for 2+ weeks, I'm
                            going to shuffle some priorities. Objects (especially for local
                            display) is coming up fast as is a range/bearing to track an object.
                            It'll make it easier to waypoint my car and then get back to it in
                            foreign (unknown) city streets.

                            > PS... If you get the chance, can you please fit in a network APRS server and file logging? (Ok, I know, a bit of a cheap shot, but that's all I need!)

                            I missed the launch, but I've attached the GPX file resulting from "Save
                            Track" on the balloons popup menu. Not quite the file logging you want,
                            but at least it's the track!

                            I've got these two on the list. On the APRS server, is it ok to be
                            receive-only, or does it need to accept position beacons from the local
                            client(s)?

                            Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                          • gsdatplace
                            Message 14 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                              > I missed the launch, but I've attached the GPX file resulting from "Save
                              > Track" on the balloons popup menu. Not quite the file logging you want,
                              > but at least it's the track!

                              I'll have to send you some pics, there were two HD cameras on board taking pics every 15 seconds, one out the bottom one out the side, some great shots, even passed through a couple of jet trails...

                              > I've got these two on the list. On the APRS server, is it ok to be
                              > receive-only, or does it need to accept position beacons from the local
                              > client(s)?

                              Receive only is fine, I only used UI-view on this flight to log all the incoming data to a playable log file, which I'll have to playback through balloon track to build a flight log, (it can load packet data files as well which is what I'm really after) and to take all the incoming packets from AGWPE Pro and the APRS feed and pass them to balloon track via a local server. so basically if any incoming packets on any "port" and APRS-IS can be logged to a file and also made accessable via a TCPIP port it would replace UI-View completly.

                              The tracks were wonderful for getting a idea of where it was going to land, better than anything I've used before, the only two issues I found on this flight:
                              1. The speed readout on the screen seems to only be in MPH regardless of the mph/kph setting, not a big issue but a observation.
                              2. I had a wireless router connected to a wireless network adapter in the back of the truck which I connected to, well wirelessly. If I had a connection to the router, but it didn't have a internet connection, and APRS-IS was enabled in the settings, APRSISCE32 would hang on starting then crash, I had to disable my wireless connection to get it running...

                              Thanks again for all your work Lynn.

                              Garrett
                              VE6RKY
                              Message 15 of 15 , Jul 9, 2010
                                Now I understand the "chasing bears" status.

                                Thanks!

                                Fred
                                N7FMH