Re: [aprsisce] Re: maps not showing

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
      On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM, bcktmpete <pisspotpete@...> wrote:

      > The tiles exist and can be viewed independently of the program.

      What kills me all the time is the fact that Lynn allows you to vary
      the opacity of the tiles. On Windows, it's the left/right arrows. Left
      makes the maps fade away, right makes them darken to where you can see
      them.

      Not sure what buttons or other things would equate to the left right
      arrows on your device.

    • Robin Moore
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
        If you leave the directory where it isw do you see the maps in APRS-IS?
        I just let the program install on my desktop and it created the OSMTiles
        directory there as well. Perhaps it doesn't work to try and move it to
        your flash drive if it isn't co-located with the main program?

        Rob

        bcktmpete wrote:
        > Thanks for the reply.
        >

        > Fetch is checked off.
        >
        > There is a SMTiles directory in the main memory under "My Device" which was created by aprsisce. When I attempted to create this directory on my storage card it just kept looping to a warning that the directory had to be created. If I move the directory with files to storage card, it is not recognized by the program.
        >
        > The tiles exist and can be viewed independently of the program.
        >
        > Maybe I'll have to directly attack the XML config file.
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Robin Moore <rmoore5@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I didn't have any maps either until I checked off OSM Fetch enabled
        >> under the Enables menu.
        >>
        >> Rob
        >>
        >> bcktmpete wrote:
        >>
        >>> Anyone mind helping me get the mapping sorted?
        >>>
        >>> It indicates it is saving tiles, but there is no map tiles visible on the unit. Asked for a tile directory when it first was initiated, wouldn't take my input, then crashed.
        >>>
        >>> Went in after reboot and made sub-dir in storage card under the aprsissce directory called osm_tiles. Never was asked where to put the tiles when they are uploaded.
        >>>
        >>> Running WM5, and run most everything I can off the storage card due to limitations of the stock memory.
        >>>
        >>> ideas or things to chase?
        >>>
        >>> Peter

      • bcktmpete
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
          Ha ha. A fool am I, push joystick rt - maps appear (nice maps at that), push to left they fade away.

          One should always look for the simple things first.

          Thanks.

          Teach me a lesson after spending way to much time wrestling with the program, looking at config files. read, read, hating MS products, etc. ......

          Peter

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
            On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:55 PM, bcktmpete <pisspotpete@...> wrote:

            > Ha ha.  A fool am I, push joystick rt - maps appear (nice maps at that), push to left they fade away.
            >
            > One should always look for the simple things first.

            One should always try to remember to look for the simple things first
            in the future as well.

            I knew about the fading maps trick, yet went into a panic when my maps
            went away during the upper air sounding we were doing prior to
            launching a manned payload to 40,000 metres. I really needed maps, a
            man's life relied on them.

            The damned maps disappeared and I couldn't come up with the simple
            concept of pressing the right arrow! Lynn had to send me an APRS
            message saying, "Try pressing the right arrow, dummy!"

            PS. In my defense I was running on about 5 hours of sleep in the
            previous 3 days.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
              If you double-click an empty spot within the circle after the client has
              been running for a while (maybe 5 minutes), what all does it tell you?
              It should show where the OSMTiles are being stored on the last line.

              The most common cause of not seeing maps is having them set too
              transparent. Hit the right arrow key bunches of times and see if your
              maps appear. Left arrow will increase the transparency (decrease the
              opacity) and make them disappear. Of course, if you're zoomed in real
              close on an area with no detail, the map will also appear to disappear!

              Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
                James Ewen wrote:
                > The damned maps disappeared and I couldn't come up with the simple
                > concept of pressing the right arrow! Lynn had to send me an APRS
                > message saying, "Try pressing the right arrow, dummy!"

                I didn't really say "dummy", did I? I may have thought it, but I'm sure
                hoping I didn't say it! ;)

                Even I get trapped by the simple things. Like when I arrived here in
                Montserrat yesterday and panicked when I didn't see any track on the
                twisty curves up the mountain. Stupid me, I had turned off the GPS at a
                supply stop (aka grocery store) and neglected to turn it back on! 2+
                hours of cool drive time lost.... Oh well. I still have to drive back
                down tomorrow!

                Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                (Track my phone as -12 and RF as -9 when in coverage)
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
                  On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                  >> The damned maps disappeared and I couldn't come up with the simple
                  >> concept of pressing the right arrow! Lynn had to send me an APRS
                  >> message saying, "Try pressing the right arrow, dummy!"
                  >>

                  > I didn't really say "dummy", did I?  I may have thought it, but I'm sure
                  > hoping I didn't say it!  ;)

                  So I paraphrased a little... I could read between the lines!

                  BTW, you're 8 hours late on your replies... what's up with that,
                  you're 8 hours ahead of me on the day. You should be answering the
                  questions before they have been asked over here! 8)

                • bcktmpete
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                    Maps are displaying on ppc6700 but not in the w32 aprs-is.

                    When using the lft/rt keys outlines of the tile outlines will appear at full contrast, but no map detail. Double-clicking yields: 8173 tiles (74.89MB) located @ .../APRSIS32100616/

                    ????

                    Peter

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                      If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
                      drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
                      that OSM has no details for your area.

                      What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
                      beaconed position as well?

                      Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
                      +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.

                      I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
                      the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
                      transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
                      the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
                      which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
                      The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.

                      bcktmpete wrote:
                      > Maps are displaying on ppc6700 but not in the w32 aprs-is.
                      >
                      > When using the lft/rt keys outlines of the tile outlines will appear at full contrast, but no map detail. Double-clicking yields: 8173 tiles (74.89MB) located @ .../APRSIS32100616/
                      >
                      > ????
                      >
                      > Peter
                      >
                      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> If you double-click an empty spot within the circle after the client has
                      >> been running for a while (maybe 5 minutes), what all does it tell you?
                      >> It should show where the OSMTiles are being stored on the last line.
                      >>
                      >> The most common cause of not seeing maps is having them set too
                      >> transparent. Hit the right arrow key bunches of times and see if your
                      >> maps appear. Left arrow will increase the transparency (decrease the
                      >> opacity) and make them disappear. Of course, if you're zoomed in real
                      >> close on an area with no detail, the map will also appear to disappear!
                      >>
                      >> Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                      >>

                      >> bcktmpete wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Anyone mind helping me get the mapping sorted?
                      >>>
                      >>> It indicates it is saving tiles, but there is no map tiles visible on the unit. Asked for a tile directory when it first was initiated, wouldn't take my input, then crashed.
                      >>>
                      >>> Went in after reboot and made sub-dir in storage card under the aprsissce directory called osm_tiles. Never was asked where to put the tiles when they are uploaded.
                      >>>
                      >>> Running WM5, and run most everything I can off the storage card due to limitations of the stock memory.
                      >>>
                      >>> ideas or things to chase?
                      >>>
                      >>> Peter

                    • bcktmpete
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                        See below for response to your ideas/questions.

                        Been through all the menus any number of times. Tried to work it out before I posted, but I'm at loss now.

                        Thanks,

                        Peter

                        > If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
                        > drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
                        > that OSM has no details for your area.

                        Quite detailed maps show on my WM5, just not in the W32 install. Same location.

                        > What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
                        > beaconed position as well?

                        VE7PPE (-9)

                        > Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
                        > +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.

                        Zoomed all the way out to get a world view, in to a 3 mi scale. Prefetched maps at each zoom level. Still nothing showing.

                        > I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
                        > the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
                        > transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
                        > the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
                        > which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
                        > The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.

                        Nope. They show up under full opacity, but I'm going all the other way with the rt arrow key. It is faint edges that show when the contrast is high.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                        Ok, what version of Windows are you running? What display
                        adapter/display driver do you have? What color depth and screen
                        resolution are you running? Can you do a screen capture and e-mail it
                        to KJ4ERJ@...? I'm at a total loss on this one. Please also
                        include a copy of your APRSIS32.xml file.

                        PS. I've attached a 100% and 50% capture of your area. Hopefully the
                        two images will come through.

                      • bcktmpete
                        Message 12 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                          XP; Intel 82810E Graphics controller; driver v#: 6.13.1.3198

                          Is in an old IBM box as that is the only XP unit I have. Not sure on the screen resolution, but I believe it is at least 1050 (20 inch CRT). Works great for the windows GIS program I use in my work.

                          Will email you the screen capture & xml file separately.

                          Thanks, Peter

                          > Ok, what version of Windows are you running? What display
                          > adapter/display driver do you have? What color depth and screen
                          > resolution are you running? Can you do a screen capture and e-mail it
                          > to KJ4ERJ@...? I'm at a total loss on this one. Please also
                          > include a copy of your APRSIS32.xml file.

                          > PS. I've attached a 100% and 50% capture of your area. Hopefully the
                          > two images will come through.
                          >
                          > bcktmpete wrote:
                          > > See below for response to your ideas/questions.
                          > >
                          > > Been through all the menus any number of times. Tried to work it out before I posted, but I'm at loss now.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > >
                          > > Peter
                          > >
                          > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
                          > >> drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
                          > >> that OSM has no details for your area.
                          > >>

                          > > Quite detailed maps show on my WM5, just not in the W32 install. Same location.
                          > >
                          > >> What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
                          > >> beaconed position as well?
                          > >>

                          > > VE7PPE (-9)
                          > >
                          > >> Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
                          > >> +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.
                          > >>

                          > > Zoomed all the way out to get a world view, in to a 3 mi scale. Prefetched maps at each zoom level. Still nothing showing.
                          > >

                          > >> I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
                          > >> the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
                          > >> transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
                          > >> the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
                          > >> which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
                          > >> The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.
                          > >>

                          > > Nope. They show up under full opacity, but I'm going all the other way with the rt arrow key. It is faint edges that show when the contrast is high.
                          > >
                          > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                        • bcktmpete
                          Message 13 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                            By the way, how do I get the files to you? No luck figuring this yahoo attachments out. Email me and I reply with them.