Re: [aprsisce] maps not showing

  • Robin Moore
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
      I didn't have any maps either until I checked off OSM Fetch enabled
      under the Enables menu.

      Rob

      bcktmpete wrote:
      > Anyone mind helping me get the mapping sorted?
      >
      > It indicates it is saving tiles, but there is no map tiles visible on the unit. Asked for a tile directory when it first was initiated, wouldn't take my input, then crashed.
      >
      > Went in after reboot and made sub-dir in storage card under the aprsissce directory called osm_tiles. Never was asked where to put the tiles when they are uploaded.
      >
      > Running WM5, and run most everything I can off the storage card due to limitations of the stock memory.
      >
      > ideas or things to chase?
      >
      > Peter

    • bcktmpete
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
        Thanks for the reply.

        Fetch is checked off.

        There is a SMTiles directory in the main memory under "My Device" which was created by aprsisce. When I attempted to create this directory on my storage card it just kept looping to a warning that the directory had to be created. If I move the directory with files to storage card, it is not recognized by the program.

        The tiles exist and can be viewed independently of the program.

        Maybe I'll have to directly attack the XML config file.

        Peter

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
          On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM, bcktmpete <pisspotpete@...> wrote:

          > The tiles exist and can be viewed independently of the program.

          What kills me all the time is the fact that Lynn allows you to vary
          the opacity of the tiles. On Windows, it's the left/right arrows. Left
          makes the maps fade away, right makes them darken to where you can see
          them.

          Not sure what buttons or other things would equate to the left right
          arrows on your device.

        • Robin Moore
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
            If you leave the directory where it isw do you see the maps in APRS-IS?
            I just let the program install on my desktop and it created the OSMTiles
            directory there as well. Perhaps it doesn't work to try and move it to
            your flash drive if it isn't co-located with the main program?

            Rob

            bcktmpete wrote:
            > Thanks for the reply.
            >

            > Fetch is checked off.
            >
            > There is a SMTiles directory in the main memory under "My Device" which was created by aprsisce. When I attempted to create this directory on my storage card it just kept looping to a warning that the directory had to be created. If I move the directory with files to storage card, it is not recognized by the program.
            >
            > The tiles exist and can be viewed independently of the program.
            >
            > Maybe I'll have to directly attack the XML config file.
            >
            > Peter
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Robin Moore <rmoore5@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I didn't have any maps either until I checked off OSM Fetch enabled
            >> under the Enables menu.
            >>
            >> Rob
            >>
            >> bcktmpete wrote:
            >>
            >>> Anyone mind helping me get the mapping sorted?
            >>>
            >>> It indicates it is saving tiles, but there is no map tiles visible on the unit. Asked for a tile directory when it first was initiated, wouldn't take my input, then crashed.
            >>>
            >>> Went in after reboot and made sub-dir in storage card under the aprsissce directory called osm_tiles. Never was asked where to put the tiles when they are uploaded.
            >>>
            >>> Running WM5, and run most everything I can off the storage card due to limitations of the stock memory.
            >>>
            >>> ideas or things to chase?
            >>>
            >>> Peter

          • bcktmpete
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
              Ha ha. A fool am I, push joystick rt - maps appear (nice maps at that), push to left they fade away.

              One should always look for the simple things first.

              Thanks.

              Teach me a lesson after spending way to much time wrestling with the program, looking at config files. read, read, hating MS products, etc. ......

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
                On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:55 PM, bcktmpete <pisspotpete@...> wrote:

                > Ha ha.  A fool am I, push joystick rt - maps appear (nice maps at that), push to left they fade away.
                >
                > One should always look for the simple things first.

                One should always try to remember to look for the simple things first
                in the future as well.

                I knew about the fading maps trick, yet went into a panic when my maps
                went away during the upper air sounding we were doing prior to
                launching a manned payload to 40,000 metres. I really needed maps, a
                man's life relied on them.

                The damned maps disappeared and I couldn't come up with the simple
                concept of pressing the right arrow! Lynn had to send me an APRS
                message saying, "Try pressing the right arrow, dummy!"

                PS. In my defense I was running on about 5 hours of sleep in the
                previous 3 days.
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
                  If you double-click an empty spot within the circle after the client has
                  been running for a while (maybe 5 minutes), what all does it tell you?
                  It should show where the OSMTiles are being stored on the last line.

                  The most common cause of not seeing maps is having them set too
                  transparent. Hit the right arrow key bunches of times and see if your
                  maps appear. Left arrow will increase the transparency (decrease the
                  opacity) and make them disappear. Of course, if you're zoomed in real
                  close on an area with no detail, the map will also appear to disappear!

                  Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
                    James Ewen wrote:
                    > The damned maps disappeared and I couldn't come up with the simple
                    > concept of pressing the right arrow! Lynn had to send me an APRS
                    > message saying, "Try pressing the right arrow, dummy!"

                    I didn't really say "dummy", did I? I may have thought it, but I'm sure
                    hoping I didn't say it! ;)

                    Even I get trapped by the simple things. Like when I arrived here in
                    Montserrat yesterday and panicked when I didn't see any track on the
                    twisty curves up the mountain. Stupid me, I had turned off the GPS at a
                    supply stop (aka grocery store) and neglected to turn it back on! 2+
                    hours of cool drive time lost.... Oh well. I still have to drive back
                    down tomorrow!

                    Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                    (Track my phone as -12 and RF as -9 when in coverage)
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
                      On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                      >> The damned maps disappeared and I couldn't come up with the simple
                      >> concept of pressing the right arrow! Lynn had to send me an APRS
                      >> message saying, "Try pressing the right arrow, dummy!"
                      >>

                      > I didn't really say "dummy", did I?  I may have thought it, but I'm sure
                      > hoping I didn't say it!  ;)

                      So I paraphrased a little... I could read between the lines!

                      BTW, you're 8 hours late on your replies... what's up with that,
                      you're 8 hours ahead of me on the day. You should be answering the
                      questions before they have been asked over here! 8)

                    • bcktmpete
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                        Maps are displaying on ppc6700 but not in the w32 aprs-is.

                        When using the lft/rt keys outlines of the tile outlines will appear at full contrast, but no map detail. Double-clicking yields: 8173 tiles (74.89MB) located @ .../APRSIS32100616/

                        ????

                        Peter

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                          If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
                          drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
                          that OSM has no details for your area.

                          What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
                          beaconed position as well?

                          Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
                          +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.

                          I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
                          the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
                          transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
                          the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
                          which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
                          The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.

                          bcktmpete wrote:
                          > Maps are displaying on ppc6700 but not in the w32 aprs-is.
                          >
                          > When using the lft/rt keys outlines of the tile outlines will appear at full contrast, but no map detail. Double-clicking yields: 8173 tiles (74.89MB) located @ .../APRSIS32100616/
                          >
                          > ????
                          >
                          > Peter
                          >
                          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> If you double-click an empty spot within the circle after the client has
                          >> been running for a while (maybe 5 minutes), what all does it tell you?
                          >> It should show where the OSMTiles are being stored on the last line.
                          >>
                          >> The most common cause of not seeing maps is having them set too
                          >> transparent. Hit the right arrow key bunches of times and see if your
                          >> maps appear. Left arrow will increase the transparency (decrease the
                          >> opacity) and make them disappear. Of course, if you're zoomed in real
                          >> close on an area with no detail, the map will also appear to disappear!
                          >>
                          >> Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                          >>

                          >> bcktmpete wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Anyone mind helping me get the mapping sorted?
                          >>>
                          >>> It indicates it is saving tiles, but there is no map tiles visible on the unit. Asked for a tile directory when it first was initiated, wouldn't take my input, then crashed.
                          >>>
                          >>> Went in after reboot and made sub-dir in storage card under the aprsissce directory called osm_tiles. Never was asked where to put the tiles when they are uploaded.
                          >>>
                          >>> Running WM5, and run most everything I can off the storage card due to limitations of the stock memory.
                          >>>
                          >>> ideas or things to chase?
                          >>>
                          >>> Peter

                        • bcktmpete
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                            See below for response to your ideas/questions.

                            Been through all the menus any number of times. Tried to work it out before I posted, but I'm at loss now.

                            Thanks,

                            Peter

                            > If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
                            > drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
                            > that OSM has no details for your area.

                            Quite detailed maps show on my WM5, just not in the W32 install. Same location.

                            > What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
                            > beaconed position as well?

                            VE7PPE (-9)

                            > Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
                            > +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.

                            Zoomed all the way out to get a world view, in to a 3 mi scale. Prefetched maps at each zoom level. Still nothing showing.

                            > I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
                            > the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
                            > transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
                            > the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
                            > which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
                            > The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.

                            Nope. They show up under full opacity, but I'm going all the other way with the rt arrow key. It is faint edges that show when the contrast is high.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                            Ok, what version of Windows are you running? What display
                            adapter/display driver do you have? What color depth and screen
                            resolution are you running? Can you do a screen capture and e-mail it
                            to KJ4ERJ@...? I'm at a total loss on this one. Please also
                            include a copy of your APRSIS32.xml file.

                            PS. I've attached a 100% and 50% capture of your area. Hopefully the
                            two images will come through.

                          • bcktmpete
                            Message 14 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                              XP; Intel 82810E Graphics controller; driver v#: 6.13.1.3198

                              Is in an old IBM box as that is the only XP unit I have. Not sure on the screen resolution, but I believe it is at least 1050 (20 inch CRT). Works great for the windows GIS program I use in my work.

                              Will email you the screen capture & xml file separately.

                              Thanks, Peter

                              > Ok, what version of Windows are you running? What display
                              > adapter/display driver do you have? What color depth and screen
                              > resolution are you running? Can you do a screen capture and e-mail it
                              > to KJ4ERJ@...? I'm at a total loss on this one. Please also
                              > include a copy of your APRSIS32.xml file.

                              > PS. I've attached a 100% and 50% capture of your area. Hopefully the
                              > two images will come through.
                              >
                              > bcktmpete wrote:
                              > > See below for response to your ideas/questions.
                              > >
                              > > Been through all the menus any number of times. Tried to work it out before I posted, but I'm at loss now.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > >
                              > > Peter
                              > >
                              > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
                              > >> drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
                              > >> that OSM has no details for your area.
                              > >>

                              > > Quite detailed maps show on my WM5, just not in the W32 install. Same location.
                              > >
                              > >> What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
                              > >> beaconed position as well?
                              > >>

                              > > VE7PPE (-9)
                              > >
                              > >> Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
                              > >> +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.
                              > >>

                              > > Zoomed all the way out to get a world view, in to a 3 mi scale. Prefetched maps at each zoom level. Still nothing showing.
                              > >

                              > >> I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
                              > >> the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
                              > >> transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
                              > >> the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
                              > >> which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
                              > >> The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.
                              > >>

                              > > Nope. They show up under full opacity, but I'm going all the other way with the rt arrow key. It is faint edges that show when the contrast is high.
                              > >
                              > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                            • bcktmpete
                              Message 15 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                                By the way, how do I get the files to you? No luck figuring this yahoo attachments out. Email me and I reply with them.