Re: SAR tracking (was Re: [aprsisce] (unknown))

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
      > Our terrain is so rough in some places that we intend to set up a TT4/radio/computer
      > on a hill top so that we can keep up. This location will not lend itself to an internet connection.
         Are you planning on putting "computers" hill top as a DIGI or as a central station/ command post?

      If it is just a DIGI, you don't need the computer with the TT4, save that for an additional command post or something.
      If it is the command post, then James covered it!
      The real key is getting the TT4 configured (especially RX), then the rest should fall in place pretty well.
        That is probably something for the TT4 group or look at:

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
        Curious minds want to know. Are these urban or wilderness searches? Do you have to provide LE with tracks of each of the search teams at the end of the search or day?

        We've talked about aprs for our searches here and so far it has come to naught for various reasons. We don't have the luxury of an EmComm trailer. The base operator(s) work from their personal vehicles. At the end, we have to give copies of the tracks as Terrain Navigator track files to LE.

        On 9/5/2012 2:05 PM, Hal & Martie Perry wrote:

        Thanks James,
        Exactly the type info that I’m looking for.
        I’ll read those Wiki’s and see what I can learn from them.
        The station set up on the hill top will be the control/command post station.
        We have a mobile EmComm trailer with ham, county sheriff, city police,
        and local 1st responders equipment so that we can communicate with all.
        While trying to set up the APRS RF receiving system I had a brain failure
        and just couldn’t get untangled ;<).
        Thanks for the help,
        Hal Perry – W4HP
        Director - Sequatchie Co. ACS
        W4HP-1 & KB4ACS-1
        Sequatchie Co. TN. EM75

        --

        Bob Harris (K9UDX)
        Bath, NH

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012

        • Bob Harris
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
            Lynn

            (The text of your message did not make it through Firefox. By looking at the source code, I figured out what you were asking).

            Terrain Navigator Pro is the mapping program used by LE in both NH and VT for planning searches and recording the results of the searches (tracks and waypoints/markers). While it will import/export gpx files, LE prefers (for whatever reason) the program's proprietary export formats. It is made by Mytopo (a change of ownership in the past two or three years).

            Bob Harris (K9UDX)
            Bath, NH

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012

              What is "Terrain Navigator" (yes, I glanced at http://tinyurl.com/9bocfxz) and/or would standard GPX files be acceptable or convertible?  I see that they support Geocaching "Geocache Ready with LOC and GPX data support." (not many geocachers that I know that'll shell out $300 for a freely-accessible hobby) and export GPX "Shapefile Export. Create information in TNP and use it in ... applications that use ... GPX or KML data.", but nothing about Importing from GPX.

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
                  $299 per state!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
                    "Professional" quality and support.  You have to charge that much to sell into those types of organizations.  The overhead to provide the pre-sales quotes and proposals, followed by the expected hand-holding support, and then the assurances of accuracy and associated liability/protection from law suites (sp?), pretty much seals it.

                    But geocaching at $300/state ain't happening!  I suspect one of their developers is a geocacher and hooked it in "for free", similar to another geo-friendly application I've heard of.

                    On 9/5/2012 4:13 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                    $299 per state!

                  Message 9 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
                    I noticed they have Team Tracker and Emergency Management add on modules. It looks nice!

                    I don't guess they sell many for Geocachers. Maybe during breaks, everyone goes on the hunt. :D

                    Fred, N7FMH

                    Message 10 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
                      We get a break up here. The 6 New England states are $299. That is a nice break for the locals!

                      Message 11 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
                        We do not have Terrain Navigator or any of the high $$ programs to run. Our intention is to use the downloaded tiles via APRS and hopefully in conjunction with Delorme Topo.
                        Mostly our searches are probably considered wilderness. Mostly woods with homes 3-5 mi apart. Lost 4 wheelers, lost hikers, or downed planes. Fire trails through very steep ridges in our area.
                        I'm stumbling in the dark right now but trying to learn!
                        Thanks.........Hal

                        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Bob Harris <knineudx@...> wrote:

                        > Curious minds want to know. Are these urban or wilderness searches? Do
                        > you have to provide LE with tracks of each of the search teams at the
                        > end of the search or day?
                        >
                        > We've talked about aprs for our searches here and so far it has come to
                        > naught for various reasons. We don't have the luxury of an EmComm
                        > trailer. The base operator(s) work from their personal vehicles. At the
                        > end, we have to give copies of the tracks as Terrain Navigator track
                        > files to LE.
                        >
                        > On 9/5/2012 2:05 PM, Hal & Martie Perry wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks James,
                        > > Exactly the type info that I’m looking for.
                        > > I’ll read those Wiki’s and see what I can learn from them.
                        > > The station set up on the hill top will be the control/command post
                        > > station.
                        > > We have a mobile EmComm trailer with ham, county sheriff, city police,
                        > > and local 1st responders equipment so that we can communicate with all.
                        > > While trying to set up the APRS RF receiving system I had a brain failure
                        > > and just couldn’t get untangled ;<).
                        > > Thanks for the help,
                        > > Hal Perry â€" W4HP
                        > > Director - Sequatchie Co. ACS
                        > > W4HP-1 & KB4ACS-1
                        > > Sequatchie Co. TN. EM75
                        > >

                        > --
                        >
                        > Bob Harris (K9UDX)
                        > Bath, NH

                      • halperry1
                        Message 12 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
                          As we get this going it could be either. Maybe a digi on another frequency so as to keep the traffic off the regular 144.39.....Hal

                          Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012

                            I tried this the other day, very much BETA it crashes on my machine when the log fills up.

                            http://www.sartrack.co.nz/

                            Message 14 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
                              At least for the six New England states, one gets all six states for the price of one.