Re: View filter

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2012
      (Putting the answer, sans screen shots, back to the group for my normal
      reason. Read the quoted text below if you need context for this answer).

      You have some Screen / Paths turned on also. When you have Path
      visibility enabled, you see not only the View stations but also the
      stations that participated in it's Path based on the time that you have
      selected there.

      If it wasn't that way, you'd have no way to be able to see just a
      single selected station's paths. View / Paths shows ALL stations for
      which a path is known within the timer you have selected in Screen / Paths.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2012
        On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <KJ4ERJ@...> wrote:

        > You have some Screen / Paths turned on also. When you have Path visibility
        > enabled, you see not only the View stations but also the stations that
        > participated in it's Path based on the time that you have selected there.

        Okay, so looking at VA6OO-9, a mobile station that has never
        digipeated or i-gated a station within the last 5 days (1000 packet
        history back to Aug 28 as per aprs.fi), and viewing it using
        APRSISCE/32 (only been running for a couple hours), how do you figure
        that one of the i-gates that I am trying to view has been handled by
        that station?

        The same goes for the many digipeaters that are shown, as well as
        other mobile and fixed stations...

        > If it wasn't that way, you'd have no way to be able to see just a single
        > selected station's paths. View / Paths shows ALL stations for which a path
        > is known within the timer you have selected in Screen / Paths.

        So, are you saying that Screen|Paths over rides the View|i-gates?

        That doesn't make a lot of sense. If I select View|None in the
        chooser, I get no stations shown (except my own station). The paths
        setting does not override my View|None selection.

        I could understand your logic of bringing other stations into view to
        support the viewing of the paths used IF those stations were part of
        the path taken from the source to the i-gate feeding the information
        into the APRS-IS stream. LLOYD has never participated in pushing VA6OO
        to the internet in the last week, yet it is pulled into this view.

        Personally, I would not pull other stations into the view, but rather
        drop the paths if the required infrastructure elements were not
        available.

        What is the purpose of view filtering? I use it to limit the stations in view.

        If I go into view and tell it to show me no stations, I would expect
        it to show me no stations. (It does)

        If I then tell it to show show me just digipeaters, I would expect to
        only see digipeaters on the screen. (If paths were enabled, then there
        would be paths shown between the digipeaters on screen where those
        paths have been heard in use)

        If I choose none again, and then select a station by icon (I chose air
        since CFWFC was just flying) I would expect to see only airborne
        stations. (I get that with Paths|None, but get the digipeaters and
        i-gates used pulled in if Paths is enabled)

        So, if I choose view none, and then select digis (with Paths|Network
        off), I see all the digipeaters that have been observed to have
        handled a packet within the timeframe criteria. If I select
        Paths|Network (ALL), I get mobile stations pulled into the view. CFWFC
        for example gets pulled into my digipeater only view. Poking at the
        Paths chooser, I can see that it is being pulled in because of the
        FIRST criteria.

        CFWFC has never been a digipeater, but because Paths|Network is
        enabled, it is being pulled into view. That's seems to be because
        APRSISCE/32 knows about a path for it, and wants to display it even
        though it does not match my view filter criteria.

        Order of precedence seems to be out of whack here. If Paths takes
        precedence, then I should ALWAYS see anything that can have a path
        displayed based on the Paths settings, but View|None over rides that.

        If I enable viewing of digipeaters I should see only digipeaters, and
        if available between the digipeaters, the paths known. As it is, all
        sorts of stations get pulled in.

        Interestingly, if I select Freq attributes in View, the repeater
        objects all pop up on screen, but none of the digipeaters or i-gates
        that handled the packets show up with Paths|Network enabled. This is
        what I would expect for all the selections available. If the
        infrastructure elements are not displayed on screen, don't show the
        path to that element. Just don't go pulling in any random icon just
        because it has been handled by something displayed.

        Interestingly when I select land as a symbol type to display, CFWFC
        (an airplane) gets displayed.