Re: [aprsisce] Re: FAO Moderators

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2012
      You know, I tried to get WinLink running well over a year or two ago,
      but got stymied by the fact that it appeared to require XP and didn't
      like something about my Vista installation at the time.

      Does WinLink work easily "out of the box" on Windows 7 64bit? If so,
      I'll give it another look if you can provide a suitable link. I'd like
      the fallback capability, if nothing else.

      And who knows, once I get WinLink going, I suspect you could reasonably
      a nice APRS messaging interface to their APRS gateway to check, read,
      and send multi-line e-mail messages. At least, I THINK that's the
      WinLink folks that end a multi-line message with /EX, isn't it?

      On 9/3/2012 9:39 AM, g4ilo wrote:
      > Get a Winlink email address (yourcall@...). Then you'll have email as long as you have got APRS or ham radio.
      >
      > Julian, G4ILO
      >
      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <sbd64000@...> wrote:
      >> I am a bit hamstrung at the moment as my ISP has completely stuffed their authentication system. I cannot access my email, or even my account config. Reports are emails to me are bouncing. Not that I can see them anyway.
      >> Have setup a temp email account of sbd64000@...
      >> I do have internet access. Just no email.
      >> If any of you sent me an email, please resend to the above address.
      >> Email has been off since 10:00UTC it's been over 12 hours now. Not a happy chappy.
      >>
      >> Steve G6UIM

    • Ron N9SZV
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2012
        I use RMS Express for winlink running Windows 7 64bit runs great for me would be cool to have a interface in APRS32 for checking email or sending!!

        Ron N9SZV

        > You know, I tried to get WinLink running well over a year or two ago,
        > but got stymied by the fact that it appeared to require XP and didn't
        > like something about my Vista installation at the time.
        >
        > Does WinLink work easily "out of the box" on Windows 7 64bit? If so,
        > I'll give it another look if you can provide a suitable link. I'd like
        > the fallback capability, if nothing else.
        >
        > And who knows, once I get WinLink going, I suspect you could reasonably
        > a nice APRS messaging interface to their APRS gateway to check, read,
        > and send multi-line e-mail messages. At least, I THINK that's the
        > WinLink folks that end a multi-line message with /EX, isn't it?

        > On 9/3/2012 9:39 AM, g4ilo wrote:
        > > Get a Winlink email address (yourcall@...). Then you'll have email as long as you have got APRS or ham radio.
        > >
        > > Julian, G4ILO
        > >
        > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <sbd64000@> wrote:
        > >> I am a bit hamstrung at the moment as my ISP has completely stuffed their authentication system. I cannot access my email, or even my account config. Reports are emails to me are bouncing. Not that I can see them anyway.
        > >> Have setup a temp email account of sbd64000@
        > >> I do have internet access. Just no email.
        > >> If any of you sent me an email, please resend to the above address.
        > >> Email has been off since 10:00UTC it's been over 12 hours now. Not a happy chappy.
        > >>
        > >> Steve G6UIM

      • g4ilo
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2012
          Install RMS Express from ftp://autoupdate.winlink.org/User%20Programs/.

          There is good online help once you have installed the program.

          You can find a tutorial at http://www.winlink.org/webfm_send/184

          A description of APRSLink http://www.winlink.org/aprslink

          I don't have specific experience of Win 7 64bit but I always avoid the Program Files folder and install ham stuff into C:\Ham\whatever.

          You remember correctly about the WinLink multi-line messages. They work very well with APRSISCE multi-line messages. A user interface to APRSLink would be fantastic, and avoid the need to remember all the commands . Not that there are many, but my memory isn't up to much :)

          Julian, G4ILO

          > You know, I tried to get WinLink running well over a year or two ago,
          > but got stymied by the fact that it appeared to require XP and didn't
          > like something about my Vista installation at the time.
          >
          > Does WinLink work easily "out of the box" on Windows 7 64bit? If so,
          > I'll give it another look if you can provide a suitable link. I'd like
          > the fallback capability, if nothing else.
          >
          > And who knows, once I get WinLink going, I suspect you could reasonably
          > a nice APRS messaging interface to their APRS gateway to check, read,
          > and send multi-line e-mail messages. At least, I THINK that's the
          > WinLink folks that end a multi-line message with /EX, isn't it?

        • Jordan Hayes KG6UAE
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2012
            > Does WinLink work easily "out of the box" on Windows 7 64bit?

            Works for me on XP, Vista, and Win7 32/64.
          • Hank Lambert
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2012

              Yes it works; just make sure you install it under the root directory instead of the programs folder. I have most of my Ham radio programs including APRSIS32 installed in a folder I named Ham under the root - c:\Ham.

              73,

              Hank Lambert

              KB4MTO/TA5ZC

              hank@...

              kb4mto@...

              www.hanklambert.com

              PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

              Years ago, many hams used to work a lot of DX until they got their hands on an SWR meter and found out they couldn't.