Re: [aprsisce] random crashing on HP IPaq 912c

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2010
      I don't know if there's anyone out there running on an IPaq 912c, but
      the only reports I've had of crashing (not hanging) is when you don't
      have enough space on the My Documents "drive" or the drive on which
      you've stored OSMTiles.

      If you double-click an empty space on the map after APRSISCE has been
      running a while, how much space does it report free on the last line?
      You can move the cached OSMTiles to a storage card by simply deleting or
      moving the directory while APRSISCE is not running. The next time you
      start it, it will ask you to locate the OSMTiles and will subsequently
      remember the new location (at least, it's supposed to work that way,
      there were bugs in that for a while).

      All maps are automatically downloaded from OpenStreetMap.org which has
      coverage at varying degrees of detail for the entire world. I'm
      currently in Spain and am quite surprised at how much it knows. My
      Garmin Nuvi 350 with the European map set knows more, but OSM isn't
      bad. You can point your favorite browser to http://OpenStreetMap.org to
      see what it knows.

      If anyone else has any experience on iPaqs, please chime in here.

      Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

      PS. There does seem to be a hang issue when APRSISCE is running with
      spotty cellular data coverage, but i's a hang, not a crash.

      markstwotoecom wrote:
      > I have the current version installed on a windows mobile 6.1 phone.
      >
      > It is a HP IPAQ 912c.
      >
      > Periodically aprsisce crashes requiring a restart.
      >
      > It would seem that if I zoom the map the crashing becomes more frequent.
      >
      > I don't have OSM installed as I am not 100% sure of where to get the map ofr Australia yet.
      >
      > I have also tried on a HP data messanger which crashed more often!
      >
      > Any suggestions please?
      >

      > Mark VK2HMC.
    • Greg D.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2010
        Yikes...  "8.66 MB Free (8 MB Min)"

        So, am I really 0.66 MB away from crashes?  I don't remember how much clutter there was when my crashes happened.

        Either way, I'd really like to have everything on the SD card (Storage Card, in MS-Speak).  I don't mind re-configuring stuff; do I simply remove anything that looks like APRS* from My Documents and the root folder on the built-in memory, and restart?  I've NEVER been prompted as to where to put things...

        Greg.

        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
        From: kj4erj@...
        Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:47:58 -0400
        Subject: Re: [aprsisce] random crashing on HP IPaq 912c

        markstwotoecom wrote:
        > I have the current version installed on a windows mobile 6.1 phone.
        >
        > It is a HP IPAQ 912c.
        >
        > Periodically aprsisce crashes requiring a restart.
        >
        > It would seem that if I zoom the map the crashing becomes more frequent.
        >
        > I don't have OSM installed as I am not 100% sure of where to get the map ofr Australia yet.
        >
        > I have also tried on a HP data messanger which crashed more often!
        >
        > Any suggestions please?
        >

        > Mark VK2HMC.

      • Colin Catlin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
          Hi Greg,

          From my experience, yes probably.
          Less than 8Mb and you get problems.

          I was running WM5 on my phone and it would just hang but I recently upgraged to WM6 (to get SDHC support) and APRSISCE seems to close itself down when memory gets low.
          It also seems to be worse when the battery is getting very low, I am wondering if WM6 automatically starts shutting things down to conserve power/memory.

          Yes moving stuff from 'My Documents' to your SD Card will help, I try to do it daily to avoid problems.

          Lynn did let me know of a registry hack (on Microsofts site) to move your 'My Documents' to your SD Card, when I get a bigger card and find the guts to do it I will give that a try.

          73,
          Colin.

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroup s.com
          From: kj4erj@arrl. net
          Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:47:58 -0400

          markstwotoecom wrote:
          > I have the current version installed on a windows mobile 6.1 phone.
          >
          > It is a HP IPAQ 912c.
          >
          > Periodically aprsisce crashes requiring a restart.
          >
          > It would seem that if I zoom the map the crashing becomes more frequent.
          >
          > I don't have OSM installed as I am not 100% sure of where to get the map ofr Australia yet.
          >
          > I have also tried on a HP data messanger which crashed more often!
          >
          > Any suggestions please?
          >

          > Mark VK2HMC.

        • markstwotoecom
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
            I cranked up the program and watched program memory slowly decrease from 64 megabytes. I have been running for 10 minutes now with no GPS fix and we are down to 45 megabytes. I have 95 Megabytes free in storage memory.

            I really love this program, hopefully I can find a fix that works.

            I noticed the same as Greg, when tapping too much the program just exits impolitely.

            Best regards,
            Mark
            VK2HMC
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2010
              Mark,

              What version are you running (from Menu / About)? I'm running
              2010/06/16 05:23 for days at a time and it gives me no trouble as long
              as I stay in good cellular data coverage. I have my OSMTiles going onto
              my storage card which reports 1.13 GB Free with 7,666 tiles cached over
              55.73MB.

              Start / Settings / System / Memory shows 64.22MB program memory in use
              and 37.16 MB free of 101.38MB total. Storage is 124.91MB total with
              75.72 in use and 49.20 Free. This is all on my AT&T Tilt with APRSISCE
              running since 7/6 9:13:57 it is currently 7/7 9:28, so it's been up for
              just over 24 hours.

              What kind of filter are you running? If you're pulling a large range or
              a full feed onto your cellphone, memory usage will increase and increase
              until you run out. APRSISCE/32 buffers ALL moving tracks that have been
              received. If you double-click the 2 skinny bars just inside the right
              edge of the screen, how many "Close Stations" are reported (Using N of M
              Stations)? Also, how much memory is reported for N/M Total Points (??Kb)?

              Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
              (Operating in Spain while on vacation, phone tracking as -12, RF
              tracking as -9)

              markstwotoecom wrote:
              > I cranked up the program and watched program memory slowly decrease from 64 megabytes. I have been running for 10 minutes now with no GPS fix and we are down to 45 megabytes. I have 95 Megabytes free in storage memory.
              >
              > I really love this program, hopefully I can find a fix that works.
              >
              > I noticed the same as Greg, when tapping too much the program just exits impolitely.
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Mark
              > VK2HMC

            • markstwotoecom
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2010
                Hi Lynn,

                Same version, 2010/06/16 05:23
                Close stations is Using 3 of 128 with age 80 to 120
                Not sure I understand the question about filters.