RE: [aprsisce] random crashing

  • Greg D.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5 11:04 AM
      Ok, I thought it might just have been me...

      WinMobile 5, on an HP iPaq hw6945.  It seems to happen when I get ahead of the program, e.g. tapping too fast, or while the phone is just waking up after being asleep.  The iPaq is connected via Wi-Fi only (no SIM), but otherwise a normal installation (OSM, etc.).

      Greg  KO6TH

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: marks@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 08:46:00 +0000
      Subject: [aprsisce] random crashing

      Hello All,

      I have the current version installed on a windows mobile 6.1 phone.

      It is a HP IPAQ 912c.

      Periodically aprsisce crashes requiring a restart.

      It would seem that if I zoom the map the crashing becomes more frequent.

      I don't have OSM installed as I am not 100% sure of where to get the map ofr Australia yet.

      I have also tried on a HP data messanger which crashed more often!

      Any suggestions please?

      Mark VK2HMC.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5 12:47 PM
        I don't know if there's anyone out there running on an IPaq 912c, but
        the only reports I've had of crashing (not hanging) is when you don't
        have enough space on the My Documents "drive" or the drive on which
        you've stored OSMTiles.

        If you double-click an empty space on the map after APRSISCE has been
        running a while, how much space does it report free on the last line?
        You can move the cached OSMTiles to a storage card by simply deleting or
        moving the directory while APRSISCE is not running. The next time you
        start it, it will ask you to locate the OSMTiles and will subsequently
        remember the new location (at least, it's supposed to work that way,
        there were bugs in that for a while).

        All maps are automatically downloaded from OpenStreetMap.org which has
        coverage at varying degrees of detail for the entire world. I'm
        currently in Spain and am quite surprised at how much it knows. My
        Garmin Nuvi 350 with the European map set knows more, but OSM isn't
        bad. You can point your favorite browser to http://OpenStreetMap.org to
        see what it knows.

        If anyone else has any experience on iPaqs, please chime in here.

        Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

        PS. There does seem to be a hang issue when APRSISCE is running with
        spotty cellular data coverage, but i's a hang, not a crash.

        markstwotoecom wrote:
        > I have the current version installed on a windows mobile 6.1 phone.
        >
        > It is a HP IPAQ 912c.
        >
        > Periodically aprsisce crashes requiring a restart.
        >
        > It would seem that if I zoom the map the crashing becomes more frequent.
        >
        > I don't have OSM installed as I am not 100% sure of where to get the map ofr Australia yet.
        >
        > I have also tried on a HP data messanger which crashed more often!
        >
        > Any suggestions please?
        >

        > Mark VK2HMC.
      • Greg D.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5 3:17 PM
          Yikes...  "8.66 MB Free (8 MB Min)"

          So, am I really 0.66 MB away from crashes?  I don't remember how much clutter there was when my crashes happened.

          Either way, I'd really like to have everything on the SD card (Storage Card, in MS-Speak).  I don't mind re-configuring stuff; do I simply remove anything that looks like APRS* from My Documents and the root folder on the built-in memory, and restart?  I've NEVER been prompted as to where to put things...

          Greg.

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
          From: kj4erj@...
          Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:47:58 -0400
          Subject: Re: [aprsisce] random crashing on HP IPaq 912c

          markstwotoecom wrote:
          > I have the current version installed on a windows mobile 6.1 phone.
          >
          > It is a HP IPAQ 912c.
          >
          > Periodically aprsisce crashes requiring a restart.
          >
          > It would seem that if I zoom the map the crashing becomes more frequent.
          >
          > I don't have OSM installed as I am not 100% sure of where to get the map ofr Australia yet.
          >
          > I have also tried on a HP data messanger which crashed more often!
          >
          > Any suggestions please?
          >

          > Mark VK2HMC.

        • Colin Catlin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6 2:49 AM
            Hi Greg,

            From my experience, yes probably.
            Less than 8Mb and you get problems.

            I was running WM5 on my phone and it would just hang but I recently upgraged to WM6 (to get SDHC support) and APRSISCE seems to close itself down when memory gets low.
            It also seems to be worse when the battery is getting very low, I am wondering if WM6 automatically starts shutting things down to conserve power/memory.

            Yes moving stuff from 'My Documents' to your SD Card will help, I try to do it daily to avoid problems.

            Lynn did let me know of a registry hack (on Microsofts site) to move your 'My Documents' to your SD Card, when I get a bigger card and find the guts to do it I will give that a try.

            73,
            Colin.

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroup s.com
            From: kj4erj@arrl. net
            Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:47:58 -0400

            markstwotoecom wrote:
            > I have the current version installed on a windows mobile 6.1 phone.
            >
            > It is a HP IPAQ 912c.
            >
            > Periodically aprsisce crashes requiring a restart.
            >
            > It would seem that if I zoom the map the crashing becomes more frequent.
            >
            > I don't have OSM installed as I am not 100% sure of where to get the map ofr Australia yet.
            >
            > I have also tried on a HP data messanger which crashed more often!
            >
            > Any suggestions please?
            >

            > Mark VK2HMC.

          • markstwotoecom
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6 6:41 AM
              I cranked up the program and watched program memory slowly decrease from 64 megabytes. I have been running for 10 minutes now with no GPS fix and we are down to 45 megabytes. I have 95 Megabytes free in storage memory.

              I really love this program, hopefully I can find a fix that works.

              I noticed the same as Greg, when tapping too much the program just exits impolitely.

              Best regards,
              Mark
              VK2HMC
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7 12:32 AM
                Mark,

                What version are you running (from Menu / About)? I'm running
                2010/06/16 05:23 for days at a time and it gives me no trouble as long
                as I stay in good cellular data coverage. I have my OSMTiles going onto
                my storage card which reports 1.13 GB Free with 7,666 tiles cached over
                55.73MB.

                Start / Settings / System / Memory shows 64.22MB program memory in use
                and 37.16 MB free of 101.38MB total. Storage is 124.91MB total with
                75.72 in use and 49.20 Free. This is all on my AT&T Tilt with APRSISCE
                running since 7/6 9:13:57 it is currently 7/7 9:28, so it's been up for
                just over 24 hours.

                What kind of filter are you running? If you're pulling a large range or
                a full feed onto your cellphone, memory usage will increase and increase
                until you run out. APRSISCE/32 buffers ALL moving tracks that have been
                received. If you double-click the 2 skinny bars just inside the right
                edge of the screen, how many "Close Stations" are reported (Using N of M
                Stations)? Also, how much memory is reported for N/M Total Points (??Kb)?

                Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                (Operating in Spain while on vacation, phone tracking as -12, RF
                tracking as -9)

                markstwotoecom wrote:
                > I cranked up the program and watched program memory slowly decrease from 64 megabytes. I have been running for 10 minutes now with no GPS fix and we are down to 45 megabytes. I have 95 Megabytes free in storage memory.
                >
                > I really love this program, hopefully I can find a fix that works.
                >
                > I noticed the same as Greg, when tapping too much the program just exits impolitely.
                >

                > Best regards,
                > Mark
                > VK2HMC

              • markstwotoecom
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7 7:57 AM
                  Hi Lynn,

                  Same version, 2010/06/16 05:23
                  Close stations is Using 3 of 128 with age 80 to 120
                  Not sure I understand the question about filters.