Re: [aprsisce] IPAQ 210

  • Charles Blackburn
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
      that's good to know.... i'll bear that in mind, but if i remember right,
      there's a serial port on the 24 port sync connector at the bottom, but i
      gotta play around see if i can find it, i know there was one on one of
      my older ipaqs but i can't remember the model.

      charlie
    • Greg Dolkas
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
        I have the iPAQ6945 (ca 2006); not sure if that's older or newer. It does have a serial port, and USB, on the sync connector, and they have a rather thick cable that breaks out the connections. I have used it with my Kenwood D7, and it worked just fine. But the thickness of the cable kind of killed its usefulness. If I were to use it frequently, I'd rig up something via Bluetooth.

        Greg KO6TH

        Sent from my trusty HP iPAQ.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
          Do these iPaqs run Windows Mobile? If so, can you tell what version?
          If not, what does it run?

          There should be information in Start / Settings / System / About.

          On 9/1/2012 12:54 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
          > I have the iPAQ6945 (ca 2006); not sure if that's older or newer. It does have a serial port, and USB, on the sync connector, and they have a rather thick cable that breaks out the connections. I have used it with my Kenwood D7, and it worked just fine. But the thickness of the cable kind of killed its usefulness. If I were to use it frequently, I'd rig up something via Bluetooth.
          >
          > Greg KO6TH
          >
          > Sent from my trusty HP iPAQ.

        • Greg D
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
            Googling around, it looks like the 210 is about 2 years newer (2008) than my hw6945, and runs Windows Mobile 6 (mine is WinMo 5).  No keyboard or Cell connectivity, but my guess is that it would run APRSISCE just fine.  The review I read (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/HP-iPAQ-210.htm) says that there's a CF slot where you can attach a GPS(!).  Not sure what they are thinking.  I do not see any mention of a serial port, however, just USB.  Confirmed elsewhere.

            Greg  KO6TH

            Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

            Do these iPaqs run Windows Mobile? If so, can you tell what version?
            If not, what does it run?

            There should be information in Start / Settings / System / About.

            On 9/1/2012 12:54 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
            > I have the iPAQ6945 (ca 2006); not sure if that's older or newer. It does have a serial port, and USB, on the sync connector, and they have a rather thick cable that breaks out the connections. I have used it with my Kenwood D7, and it worked just fine. But the thickness of the cable kind of killed its usefulness. If I were to use it frequently, I'd rig up something via Bluetooth.
            >
            > Greg KO6TH
            >
            > Sent from my trusty HP iPAQ.

          • Charles Blackburn
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
              my ipaq is running windows mobile 6 classic

              CE OS 5.2.1711 (build 18165.0.5.0)

              i tried to do a "windows update" but couldnt connect to server, i
              beleive the latest is 6.5 ? trying to work out how to update it.

              charlie
            • Mark Burfield
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                I dont think you can update to 6.5 now as microsoft sent all windows mobile users emails to say that earlier this year they stopped supporting this version. I have a HTC phone running windows mobile 6.5 and got quite a few email messages warning me about 6 months in advance of it all being discontinued. Maybe try the manufactures site direct for an update of the os there as i know htc have done this and its still available.

                73 Mark MM1MPB

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                  I had a CompactFlash RS-232 serial adapter for my (positively ancient) Toshiba e750 Pocket PC (http://tinyurl.com/bn32dfm).

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                    http://www.socketserial.com/product.htm Second one down the left side.  Worked really well until I left the e750 in a loaner car that was subsequently found by the dealer and set aside in an insecure location only to have it sprout legs and walk away before I could get back to pick it up.  The dealer made it right buy funding a replacement which became an AT&T Tilt which is still functioning.  Needless to say, I make sure I a) don't put much in loaner cars and b) clean them out before returning them.

                    Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                    Do these iPaqs run Windows Mobile? If so, can you tell what version?
                    If not, what does it run?

                    There should be information in Start / Settings / System / About.

                    On 9/1/2012 12:54 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
                    > I have the iPAQ6945 (ca 2006); not sure if that's older or newer. It does have a serial port, and USB, on the sync connector, and they have a rather thick cable that breaks out the connections. I have used it with my Kenwood D7, and it worked just fine. But the thickness of the cable kind of killed its usefulness. If I were to use it frequently, I'd rig up something via Bluetooth.
                    >
                    > Greg KO6TH
                    >
                    > Sent from my trusty HP iPAQ.

                  • Mark Petiford
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 2, 2012
                      From the manual for the iPAQ 110:

                      Processor Marvell® PXA 310
                      Operating System Microsoft® Windows Mobile 6.0
                      Memory 256 MB Flash & 64 MB SDRAM

                      If you need more info, let me know.

                      The 100 series and 200 series were the last versions of iPAQ's to be produced.  They were similar, but the 200 series was a bit more expensive, so I suspect it has more features.  Somewhere I have links to some pretty detailed history of the iPAQ back to the beginning.  Wikipedia is a good place to start.  It is a very confusing history.

                      I have flawlessly been able to utilize most every development version from the very early days of APRSISCE.  Only problem I have encountered was mentioned in an earlier message, it does not appear to be able to utilize 2 Bluetooth serial devices, even if those devices use different serial ports.  It does have a USB serial port, but I do not believe it can host other devices such as USB GPS.  It appears to only be useful for syncing to a PC.

                      The CF serial card looks like an option.  Thank you for bringing it up.  A TT4 with the Byonics BT option and a serial GPS attached to it might also be a good option.

                      Mark
                      KE6BB