Re: [aprsisce] IPAQ 210

  • Mark Petiford
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31 10:05 PM
      That should work so long as you don't want to use RF (other than the WiFi to the Android).  I've been using an iPAQ 110 (little brother of the 210) for several years with no real problems except it doesn't have a GPS built in.  I bought a Freedom Keychain GPS (Bluetooth) and it works great.  It uses a serial port type Bluetooth interface.  I had planned to use it on RF with a TT4 hooked to a bluetooth adapter associated with the iPAQ, but when I finally tried to set it up that way, I found out that the iPAQ only allowed one serial port BT device to associate with it at a time.  That is not documented anywhere in the iPAQ docs.  I finally ended up attaching my TTL GPS (the Byonics puck type works fine as does the Argent Data Systems version) to one port of a splitter cable, and the serial BT adapter to the other and associate the serial BT adapter to the iPAQ.  That eliminates the need for two BT serial ports.  Now (at least last time I used it) all is fine.

      Mark
      KE6BB

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
        that's good to know.... i'll bear that in mind, but if i remember right,
        there's a serial port on the 24 port sync connector at the bottom, but i
        gotta play around see if i can find it, i know there was one on one of
        my older ipaqs but i can't remember the model.

        charlie
      • Greg Dolkas
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
          I have the iPAQ6945 (ca 2006); not sure if that's older or newer. It does have a serial port, and USB, on the sync connector, and they have a rather thick cable that breaks out the connections. I have used it with my Kenwood D7, and it worked just fine. But the thickness of the cable kind of killed its usefulness. If I were to use it frequently, I'd rig up something via Bluetooth.

          Greg KO6TH

          Sent from my trusty HP iPAQ.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
            Do these iPaqs run Windows Mobile? If so, can you tell what version?
            If not, what does it run?

            There should be information in Start / Settings / System / About.

            On 9/1/2012 12:54 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
            > I have the iPAQ6945 (ca 2006); not sure if that's older or newer. It does have a serial port, and USB, on the sync connector, and they have a rather thick cable that breaks out the connections. I have used it with my Kenwood D7, and it worked just fine. But the thickness of the cable kind of killed its usefulness. If I were to use it frequently, I'd rig up something via Bluetooth.
            >
            > Greg KO6TH
            >
            > Sent from my trusty HP iPAQ.

          • Greg D
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
              Googling around, it looks like the 210 is about 2 years newer (2008) than my hw6945, and runs Windows Mobile 6 (mine is WinMo 5).  No keyboard or Cell connectivity, but my guess is that it would run APRSISCE just fine.  The review I read (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/HP-iPAQ-210.htm) says that there's a CF slot where you can attach a GPS(!).  Not sure what they are thinking.  I do not see any mention of a serial port, however, just USB.  Confirmed elsewhere.

              Greg  KO6TH

              Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

              Do these iPaqs run Windows Mobile? If so, can you tell what version?
              If not, what does it run?

              There should be information in Start / Settings / System / About.

              On 9/1/2012 12:54 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
              > I have the iPAQ6945 (ca 2006); not sure if that's older or newer. It does have a serial port, and USB, on the sync connector, and they have a rather thick cable that breaks out the connections. I have used it with my Kenwood D7, and it worked just fine. But the thickness of the cable kind of killed its usefulness. If I were to use it frequently, I'd rig up something via Bluetooth.
              >
              > Greg KO6TH
              >
              > Sent from my trusty HP iPAQ.

            • Charles Blackburn
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                my ipaq is running windows mobile 6 classic

                CE OS 5.2.1711 (build 18165.0.5.0)

                i tried to do a "windows update" but couldnt connect to server, i
                beleive the latest is 6.5 ? trying to work out how to update it.

                charlie
              • Mark Burfield
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                  I dont think you can update to 6.5 now as microsoft sent all windows mobile users emails to say that earlier this year they stopped supporting this version. I have a HTC phone running windows mobile 6.5 and got quite a few email messages warning me about 6 months in advance of it all being discontinued. Maybe try the manufactures site direct for an update of the os there as i know htc have done this and its still available.

                  73 Mark MM1MPB

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                    I had a CompactFlash RS-232 serial adapter for my (positively ancient) Toshiba e750 Pocket PC (http://tinyurl.com/bn32dfm).

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                      http://www.socketserial.com/product.htm Second one down the left side.  Worked really well until I left the e750 in a loaner car that was subsequently found by the dealer and set aside in an insecure location only to have it sprout legs and walk away before I could get back to pick it up.  The dealer made it right buy funding a replacement which became an AT&T Tilt which is still functioning.  Needless to say, I make sure I a) don't put much in loaner cars and b) clean them out before returning them.

                      Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                      Do these iPaqs run Windows Mobile? If so, can you tell what version?
                      If not, what does it run?

                      There should be information in Start / Settings / System / About.

                      On 9/1/2012 12:54 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
                      > I have the iPAQ6945 (ca 2006); not sure if that's older or newer. It does have a serial port, and USB, on the sync connector, and they have a rather thick cable that breaks out the connections. I have used it with my Kenwood D7, and it worked just fine. But the thickness of the cable kind of killed its usefulness. If I were to use it frequently, I'd rig up something via Bluetooth.
                      >
                      > Greg KO6TH
                      >
                      > Sent from my trusty HP iPAQ.

                    • Mark Petiford
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 2, 2012
                        From the manual for the iPAQ 110:

                        Processor Marvell® PXA 310
                        Operating System Microsoft® Windows Mobile 6.0
                        Memory 256 MB Flash & 64 MB SDRAM

                        If you need more info, let me know.

                        The 100 series and 200 series were the last versions of iPAQ's to be produced.  They were similar, but the 200 series was a bit more expensive, so I suspect it has more features.  Somewhere I have links to some pretty detailed history of the iPAQ back to the beginning.  Wikipedia is a good place to start.  It is a very confusing history.

                        I have flawlessly been able to utilize most every development version from the very early days of APRSISCE.  Only problem I have encountered was mentioned in an earlier message, it does not appear to be able to utilize 2 Bluetooth serial devices, even if those devices use different serial ports.  It does have a USB serial port, but I do not believe it can host other devices such as USB GPS.  It appears to only be useful for syncing to a PC.

                        The CF serial card looks like an option.  Thank you for bringing it up.  A TT4 with the Byonics BT option and a serial GPS attached to it might also be a good option.

                        Mark
                        KE6BB