>View>Buddies?

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 20, 2012
      While trying to figure out why my Buddy list had (1) entry,
            > View >  Buddies (1)
      I noticed something interesting.  This showed I had an incorrect buddy list which I fixed.

      Even when  > View > Buddies(1) is selected, the RF data comes on the screen with the "heard station",
      and each DIGI used between their location and mine.  It disappears with the next signal received.
      This is also true with "View NONE"

      Is that intended?
      It would seem if I select a view option, it (APRSIS32 application) is providing infomration outside that option.
         I like that it is showing data, but that is in the scrollbar, so I know data is coming in.  Seems "View NONE" should show an empty map (okay, maybe ME).

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 20, 2012
        Are you sure you have View / NONE checked, and not a lurking View / Paths?

        If you are running the latest development and select an unchecked View / NONE, it will ask if you really want to clear all of the selected options.  I find it a handy way to see what all might be checked in the View cascading submenus.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 20, 2012
          So you are saying this acts like the IS filters in that if one category is check, that will be visible.
          THAT makes sense!

          Yes, ">Screen > Paths > ME" was "ALSO" checked, but NOT "> View > Paths"
          I unchecked "> Screen > Paths > ME" and it shows blank - except me - which was what I was expecting.

          As for the "really" question, when I selected  ">View > NONE", I didn't have any options checked any more, so no question was asked.
            When "any option" IS checked, and I choose "> View > NONE", the question does come up.

          Sounds like WAD.
          Yes - latest development version (just verified again).

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Are you sure you have View / NONE checked, and not a lurking View / Paths?

          If you are running the latest development and select an unchecked View / NONE, it will ask if you really want to clear all of the selected options.  I find it a handy way to see what all might be checked in the View cascading submenus.

          On 8/20/2012 9:53 AM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
          While trying to figure out why my Buddy list had (1) entry,
                > View >  Buddies (1)
          I noticed something interesting.  This showed I had an incorrect buddy list which I fixed.

          Even when  > View > Buddies(1) is selected, the RF data comes on the screen with the "heard station",
          and each DIGI used between their location and mine.  It disappears with the next signal received.
          This is also true with "View NONE"

          Is that intended?
          It would seem if I select a view option, it (APRSIS32 application) is providing infomration outside that option.
             I like that it is showing data, but that is in the scrollbar, so I know data is coming in.  Seems "View NONE" should show an empty map (okay, maybe ME).

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

            Are you sure you have View / NONE checked, and not a lurking View / Paths?

            If you are running the latest development and select an unchecked View / NONE, it will ask if you really want to clear all of the selected options.  I find it a handy way to see what all might be checked in the View cascading submenus.

            On 8/20/2012 9:53 AM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
            While trying to figure out why my Buddy list had (1) entry,
                  > View >  Buddies (1)
            I noticed something interesting.  This showed I had an incorrect buddy list which I fixed.

            Even when  > View > Buddies(1) is selected, the RF data comes on the screen with the "heard station",
            and each DIGI used between their location and mine.  It disappears with the next signal received.
            This is also true with "View NONE"

            Is that intended?
            It would seem if I select a view option, it (APRSIS32 application) is providing infomration outside that option.
               I like that it is showing data, but that is in the scrollbar, so I know data is coming in.  Seems "View NONE" should show an empty map (okay, maybe ME).

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

          • Bob Harris
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 20, 2012
              I have tried to find the answer on the wiki pages. Honest, I did. But I have failed miserably.

              When looking at a track (at the moment, that of N1UVI), there is an occasional (purple?) box on the track but from the shape of the track, there are more packets with position information being received. If I select "Mulittrack" for that station, the track in the new window is populated with black boxes that correspond to the additional position reports. The purple(?) boxes on the path from the main window also appear on the track in the Multitrack window. In that window, it appears to be overlaid with a black box (or maybe it is the other way round).

              What is the significance of the different colored box?

              (I put purple in quotation marks because I am not sure of the color. My display is not calibrated and I am partially color blind.)
              --

              Bob Harris (K9UDX)
              Bath, NHpurple

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 21, 2012
                See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scroller which says:

                Background Color

                "Invalid" - See details in the upcoming "Invalids" trace log
                Purple - Duplicate packet
                Pink - Too Quick packet (sub second)
                Red - Too Fast packet (>20,000mph or double rolling average)
                Aqua - "Restart" packet (long story, under development)
                Gray - Unknown Invalid (should never be seen)
                Yellow - Other APRSISCE/32 users have a yellow background unless something else overrides the color (like buddy).

                The same colors are used to on the Track points to indicate that a position packet at that point was ignored for the indicated reason.  Typically this is caused by delayed packet delivery to the APRS-IS beyond the (30 second, typically) dupe detect window which would resulting in a ping-ponging path.  APRSISCE/32 attempts to avoid this by recording the point, colorizing the box, but not including it in the drawn path (unless, of course, it happens to be the same coordinate as a point that was considered valid earlier).

                Can you recommend a Wiki page on which this track presentation colorization can be made more clear?

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 21, 2012
                  On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                  > Can you recommend a Wiki page on which this track presentation
                  > colorization can be made more clear?

                  There's no wiki page about Tracks yet.

                  I suggested making a layout that followed the menus so that one could
                  work their way through the wiki just as if they were working their way
                  through the menus, and find information about that menu item, but the
                  documentation has gone a different route.

                  A new page about tracks should probably be started and information
                  about them provided, including this colour scheme.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 21, 2012
                    See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menus

                    I agree that's a good approach for navigation, and maybe a link to it
                    (and the downloads page) could be added to the home page. I also
                    believe that full-up descriptive pages for the major features can be
                    (and are) linked from appropriate places in the menu navigation which
                    may have a short summary or intro as to what the option does.

                    And yes, I know the Wiki is rather inconsistent in organization, detail,
                    and completeness.

                    And if someone tackles a track page, it should also mention the
                    "Altitude Color Track" option from the station popup Tracks cascade
                    where a) the Tracks cascade only appears for stations that have moved
                    and b) the "Altitude Color Track" option is only present for tracks that
                    include altitudes.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and win32

                    On 8/21/2012 10:14 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                    > There's no wiki page about Tracks yet.
                    >
                    > I suggested making a layout that followed the menus so that one could
                    > work their way through the wiki just as if they were working their way
                    > through the menus, and find information about that menu item, but the
                    > documentation has gone a different route.
                    >
                    > A new page about tracks should probably be started and information
                    > about them provided, including this colour scheme.
                    >
                    > --
                    > James
                    > VE6SRV

                  • Greg Depew
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 21, 2012
                      Ok so what is the long story on aqua? I managed to make one appear by jumping through my save positions in my vx8g mostly jumping from Pennsylvania to the Bahamas and back.KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                      "Invalid" - See details in the upcoming "Invalids" trace log
                      Purple - Duplicate packet
                      Pink - Too Quick packet (sub second)
                      Red - Too Fast packet (>20,000mph or double rolling average)
                      Aqua - "Restart" packet (long story, under development)
                      Gray - Unknown Invalid (should never be seen)
                      Yellow - Other APRSISCE/32 users have a yellow background unless something else overrides the color (like buddy).

                      The same colors are used to on the Track points to indicate that a position packet at that point was ignored for the indicated reason.ᅵ Typically this is caused by delayed packet delivery to the APRS-IS beyond the (30 second, typically) dupe detect window which would resulting in a ping-ponging path.ᅵ APRSISCE/32 attempts to avoid this by recording the point, colorizing the box, but not including it in the drawn path (unless, of course, it happens to be the same coordinate as a point that was considered valid earlier).

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 21, 2012
                        Look in your "Invalids" trace log for a diagnostic that says something about "...BAD Move (n) MADE GOOD..." and see if you can figure it out.   Basically, it's a defense against an initial single (or contiguous set of) bad coordinate(s) causing a track to ignore the remainder.  This happens when a) a TNC defaults to an old location before getting a new fix or b) a packet gets corrupted or c) a single callsign-SSID is transmitting alternate coordinates.

                        In earlier incarnations, stations would simply jump around on each packet.  After speed (Red) and rate (Pink) limits, the jumping was dramatically improved, but a station would sometimes just quit tracking until it stopped for an extended period.  The "Restart" allows the internal track to be completely erased and restarted (hence the name) if it becomes apparent through time and speed calculations that the new coordinates are "real" and it was the end of the existing track that was "bad" (hence Bad Track Made Good), so it drops the previous track and starts over with a "Restart" (Aqua) posit.

                        Yes, you can cause such a thing if you take a single callsign-SSID and beacon it alternately from two points that (short of a StarTrek Transporter) cannot possibly (>500mph) represent the currently understood physical reality.

                        PS.  There are still some stations that manage to make big track segment jumps that I haven't yet tracked down in sufficient detail to prevent.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 3 6:44 AM

                          I found that my station (when multitracked) has bronze background color on the scroller list.

                          bcg.jpg

                          Does it mean something specific?

                          If no multitracked there is no background and font color is bronze instead.

                          Wiki does not explain it to me or I missed something. http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scroller

                          --

                          Regards,

                          Krzysztof

                          SQ5NWI

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 3 6:51 AM
                            From http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scroller (you just have to read between the lines and watch the behavior over time):

                            Text Color

                            Black : No position known for the station
                            Red- Yellow- Green - Scaled color based on proximity (Red = close, Green = far)
                            The scale of this conversion is the circle on the map. If the station is within the circle, the color will vary from Green (outer edge) to Red (dead center) based on how close the station is to the coordinates at the center of the screen.
                            Reversed Red- Yellow- Green - Scaled as above, but reverse video for callsigns that seem to be in your extra filter as a "buddy" (b/) or "friend" (f/). This may get some false positives until I add explicit Buddy and Friend filter configuration.

                            So, you have a reversed entry, that means it's a "buddy" station.  per http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters all MultiTrack window's centered stations are automatically buddies:

                            MultiTrack windows automatically add a Buddy (b/call) for the Track(station). If you check "Range" on that station's popup menu in the MultiTrack window, the buddy will change to a Friend (f/call/dist) filter using the configured Range. Due to APRS-IS server filter limits, only a limited number of MultiTrack windows can be Range tracked at any point in time.

                            Now, as for the bronze color, what do you get as you fade green through yellow to red?  It kind of goes orangish/bronze on the way, so I suspect that SQ5NWI-7 wasn't exactly on top of you, but wasn't too far away either.

                            At least, that's a guess without knowing what the entire situation was at the time this scroller was captured.  Many of the detailed information presentation facilities of APRSISCE/32 are meant to be taken as a single component of the whole.  The packet scroller highlighting alerts you to a special situation (reverse == buddy, almost red == close by) so that you can use other features to hone in on further details if interested.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 3 11:31 PM

                              Thank you.

                              Now I’ve checked this dragging map in main window when station multitracked (buddy) and background color of it changed smoothly from green to red and back.

                              --

                              Regards,

                              Krzysztof

                              SQ5NWI