Windows Mobile Devices this program operates on?

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
      Is there a listing of Windows Mobile Devices this program operates on?
      I looked in the files section but found none there. Tried a message search but no real luck.

      I have access to a iPAQ 3670 with Windows CE 3.0 on it but suspect from some messages its a bit old for this program.

      I have a Argent Data Tracker 2 and want to have a mobile display.

      Short of installing a netbook or dedicated auto computer with a touch screen what iPAQ's and other devices will work?

      I wear contacts so too small of a screen will not do for me without readers and you don't want me driving about with those on ;)

      Gary Fiber K8IZ
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
        Hi Gary,

        The author is currently out of the office. "Country" is actually a better description. He runs one an AT&T Tilt but others have different phones.

        Do you have a WinMo phone/PDA now? If so, what model? This will help others help you if they have the same device.

        I use a laptop which provides a decent screen size. It is connected to a Tracker2 as well. I have it currently pulled out of the car due some system changes but it works very nicely.

        Netbooks are looking really good these days. They have a decent sized hard drive and the display is better than any handheld device.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
          No currently don't own a WinMO or PDA have a Motorola Andriod phone.
          Also have a iPOD touch, sort of surprised there is not much for that device.

          Back to Windows.
          I do have a Toshiba Libretto 50 CT that runs Win 98 and Linux and a MSI Wind U100 Netbook with Win XP and OpenSuSE.

          I was looking for something smaller but still readable. I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma and even with that vehicle there is not much room. Another option would be to build a vehicle computer and use a 7 inch touch screen.

          BUT I was wondering other than the current iPAQ 111 what else in that size is there.And what most here are using. Seems a nice graphical mobile APRS display in a reasonable size is still a dream. I used to run Pocket APRS on my Palm III but it was to small to view decently. too.

          Thanks for the reply

          Gary Fiber K8IZ

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
            For the price of a 7" touch screen, a netbook is reasonable. I have a Compac Armada M300 which is a bit big for my 2000 Corolla. I hope to mount a newer netbook sometime. I have not come up with a decent mounting system yet that will work the way I need it to work.

            I imagine something like this would be really nice! Or something similar that can attach to the vehicle ceiling.

            Best regards,
            Fred

            No currently don't own a WinMO or PDA have a Motorola Andriod phone.
            Also have a iPOD touch, sort of surprised there is not much for that device.

            Back to Windows.
            I do have a Toshiba Libretto 50 CT that runs Win 98 and Linux and a MSI Wind U100 Netbook with Win XP and OpenSuSE.

            I was looking for something smaller but still readable. I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma and even with that vehicle there is not much room. Another option would be to build a vehicle computer and use a 7 inch touch screen.

            BUT I was wondering other than the current iPAQ 111 what else in that size is there.And what most here are using. Seems a nice graphical mobile APRS display in a reasonable size is still a dream. I used to run Pocket APRS on my Palm III but it was to small to view decently. too.

            Thanks for the reply

            Gary Fiber K8IZ

            > Hi Gary,
            >
            > The author is currently out of the office. "Country" is actually a better
            > description. He runs one an AT&T Tilt but others have different phones.
            >
            > Do you have a WinMo phone/PDA now? If so, what model? This will help others
            > help you if they have the same device.
            >
            > I use a laptop which provides a decent screen size. It is connected to a
            > Tracker2 as well. I have it currently pulled out of the car due some system
            > changes but it works very nicely.
            >
            > Netbooks are looking really good these days. They have a decent sized hard
            > drive and the display is better than any handheld device.
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Fred, N7FMH
            >

            > _____

          • Colin Catlin

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
                APRSISCE currently requires Windows Mobile 5 or 6 to run. I plan to
                work on a CE 3.0 and CE 5.0 version when I get back in the country
                (track KJ4ERJ-12) and clear up the 4 week work backlog (that'll probably
                take 6-8 weeks).

                Lynn (D) - EA2/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                Gary wrote:
                > Is there a listing of Windows Mobile Devices this program operates on?
                > I looked in the files section but found none there. Tried a message search but no real luck.
                >
                > I have access to a iPAQ 3670 with Windows CE 3.0 on it but suspect from some messages its a bit old for this program.
                >
                > I have a Argent Data Tracker 2 and want to have a mobile display.
                >
                > Short of installing a netbook or dedicated auto computer with a touch screen what iPAQ's and other devices will work?
                >
                > I wear contacts so too small of a screen will not do for me without readers and you don't want me driving about with those on ;)
                >
                > Gary Fiber K8IZ
              • Gary
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
                  Good information from you Lynn, Fred and Collin. I have access to a HP iPAQ 3670 and loaded APRS-CE 1.02 from the TAPR site onto it to check the sizing the unit might be to old use it does need a new battery.
                  It was one used here at work thats no longer used. The APRS-CE runs on it even though is not your work Lynn. I do understand about trying to get things done when your out of town too. its impossible for sure.

                  Oh if any of you have questions about Icom Products ask me as I worked there from 1989 until 2001 as a technical support rep. I'll do my best to provide an answer. If I don't know then I will say so and not try to dream up something. ;)

                  Gary K8IZ