Messages Tab ?

  • kb4mk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2010
      Hello Everyone,

      Okay, I know what READ MESSAGE, SEND MESSAGE, SEND EMAIL does - but what does checking or unchecking "MY MESSAGES" do?

      It would appear that it does nothing, as I still seem to be able to send and receive messages regardless of the toggled position of MY MESSAGES, but I know better ..so I know I am missing something.

      Thanks,

      Michael Kelly, N4MAK
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2010
        On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 7:28 AM, kb4mk <mkellync@...> wrote:

        >what does checking or unchecking "MY MESSAGES" do?

        Add me to that list as well...

        One thing that I miss with this program is the ability to see the
        messages sent and received other than just the one time that you
        compose or read them. I have to go to aprs.fi to see the message
        history.

        I would take the No Msg box, and insert callsigns of the other station
        into the box when there are messages being sent of received.

        I'd make it look something like this:

        >VE6AEW X
        >KJ4ERJ-AP *
        <KJ4ERJ-AP
        >KJ4ERJ-AP 1
        >N1VG-6 3
        <N7FMH-AP N
        <VE6HM B

        This would be read using this key:
        > Outgoing message
        < Incoming message
        X Undelivered (No ACK received)
        * Delivered (ACK received)
        1-6 Number of times sent
        N New unread message
        B Bulletin/Announcement

        So we have an outgoing message to VE6AEW that never got acknowledged.
        A message to KJ4ERJ-AP that was acked, a message back from KJ3ERJ-AP
        that has been read, another message to KJ4ERJ-AP that has 1 try left.
        A message to N1VG-6 that has 3 tries left.
        A message from N7FMH-AP that has not been read yet.
        A bulletin from VE6HM.

        Have the depth of the message history as a user variable in the XML
        file, so the user can keep as many or as few message as they like. The
        number of messages shown in the box above on screen would have to be
        limited by the size of the screen. It would be cool if you could hover
        over the callsign, and have a popup open which would show you the
        contents of the message. Clicking on the callsign would open a message
        dialog box like the current send message box.

        The full message dialog box could expand on the list above, to have
        the message text, and timestamp information displayed:

        06-26 12:17>VE6AEW X Curtis, call me on 147.060.
        06-27 09:22>KJ4ERJ-AP * Love the program Lynn!
        06-27 09:22<KJ4ERJ-AP Thanks.
        06-27 09:23>KJ4ERJ-AP 1 I have a bunch more ideas for you to code!
        06-27 09:30>N1VG-6 3 Scott, the balloon is the other direction!
        06-27 09:32<N7FMH-AP N Looks like Scott is lost again.
        06-27 09:40<VE6HM B Come join us for Field Day.

        These messages could be in a scrollable box with maybe the last 6
        lines visible, you'd have to scroll back to see more history. At the
        bottom, have an entry dialog like the current send dialog. Have a To:
        box, and a Message: box. You could have a check box for Email. If the
        box is checked, the message is sent as an email, otherwise send an
        APRS message. You could also have check boxes for bulletins and
        announcements.

        More work for the weary!

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
          Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          > Hi Lynn,

          What is the difference between checked and unchecked for 'My Messages'?

          > Best regards,
          > Fred

          "My Messages" tells APRSISCE/32 to display messages it sees for any
          -SSID on your callsign. It will neither ack nor alert the message, but
          it will buffer it and turn the messages panel green (or orange if
          there's pending outbounds). When you display such an intercepted
          message, it will say "Reply for call-SSID" indicating the originally
          intended recipient.

          This feature is to adhere to the APRS101.PDF spec page...well, I can't
          find it right now. But I find it useful to keep "My Messages" turned on
          on my desktop APRSIS32 instance (KJRERJ-AP) as well as my cell phone's
          APRSISCE instance (KJ4ERJ-12). This way, any messages directed to any
          of my -SSIDs will at leasts light up, if not notify, one of the two
          instances that my eyeballs can get to. Otherwise, when people send a
          message to my KJ4ERJ javAPRSSrvr instance (which doesn't ack) or my
          KJ4ERJ-1 APRSIS32 instance (it acks), I'll probably never see it.

          Regardless of "A message is intended for reception by a single specified
          recipient, and an acknowledgement is usually expected." at the beginning
          of Chapter 14. I guess "single...recipient " is a single callsign.

          Anyway, also note the "...it sees..." in my opening sentence. This
          means that you need to add b/callsign* to your filter in order to ensure
          that you receive messages addressed to any of your -SSIDs. Otherwise,
          "My Messages" will only work for messages it hears via RF, not APRS-IS.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
            The date/time of the message below was:
            Fri 4/23/2010 11:28

            There were several follow up messages that I would suggest reading. I will not presume to really understand this yet.

            Hope it helps!
            Fred

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
              Is there a wildcard for b/callsign* to see all messages that would include bulletins, and etc
              Rick

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
                "My Messages" when checked will cause APRSISCE/32 to receive and display
                (but not alert) incoming messages for any -SSID of your base callsign.
                For instance, when I run My Messages on my -12 instance, it displays
                messages received by -AP, -9, -RF, and any other -SSID I might use
                somewhere. You can reply to an intercepted message, but the reply will
                come from the current -SSID allowing the sender to realize which
                instance you are active on.

                You may have to add a b/<basecall>* (b/KJ4ERJ*) to get the messages to
                come in from APRS-IS. I'm not sure if I do this automatically or not
                and the source code is not currently viewable by me (it's on the other
                side of the Atlantic).

                Lynn (D) - EA1/KJ4ERJ

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
                  I'll freely admit that I haven't read all of the design detail you
                  included below, but the message sub-system renovation is coming up fast
                  on the priority list. Expect a chat-type interface with history
                  recording and multiple tabbed window for each QSO.

                  Lynn (D) - EA1/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
                    Check out http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSFilter.aspx for all of the
                    filter options. If you're home-based with fast Internet, you can use
                    t/m to receive all messages of which Bulletins are a subset. Otherwise,
                    I'd have to search aprs101.pdf to find out what the Bulletin prefix is
                    (I believe they're just messages to certain prefixed callsigns) and then
                    add a b/BLT* or whatever makes sense.

                    I'd have a more complete answer, but I'm vacating in Spain at the moment.

                    Lynn (D) - EA1/KJ4ERJ