Re: [aprsisce] DX reformatting (Dev: 2012/08/02 08:57) [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 3, 2012
      That's the original DX-in-Status-Report format that I had observed in lots of raw packets way back somewhere in time.  James has some sort of disparaging word to describe it, but it's humanly readable when received.

      If you compare these packets from APRSISCE/32 and other APRS clients, you'll find that I shuffled things around a bit so that the more humanly useful information (distance and bearing) come before the less easy to use bits (lat/lon).

      APRSISCE/32 can now provide DX information in one, both, or neither formats.  The Configure / Status... / Status Report / DX checkbox governs whether or not DX information is included in (and may trigger a) Status Report packet whereas Configure / Ports / <YourRFPort>'s DX checkbox governs whether or not a DX-cluster formatted packet (DX de ...) will be generated.  Note that the former (Status Report) happens periodically with a possible immediate trigger whereas the latter (DX cluster format) only happens when triggered.

      PS.  I really need to take the time to do a DX reporting Wiki page, but right now I'm waiting for an indeterminately delayed conference call to happen.

      On 8/3/2012 10:32 AM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
      Thanks for the info, this is what I was expecting to see from w2cxm -1 as I'm seeing it from other stations this way

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      PS sorry for the fragmented emails, I'm out running errands

      From: kj4erj@...
      Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:28:26 -0400

      Oh yeah, the DXcluster trace log that forces itself visible every time it updates will quit doing that in the next Dev release.  Sorry 'bout that in the meantime, but at least you can tell when it sends a packet out!

      On 8/2/2012 9:06 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
      Reformat the DX report to provide HHMMz visible in the list (timestamps are important), add NNNNmi/km for visibility on D700 (and hopefully D710) details, use Port Name as "frequency" element and position for readability (http://www.aprs.org/TWP.html is wrong about FIELD-ONE's position on screen).

      Here's some (hopefully final) screen shots from my D700:

      Note that I renamed my RF Port as 144390.0 (edit the XML and change the <RFPort Name="xxxxx"> element).  The 79mi won't show up on D7/D72s according to Bob's Tiny Web Pages document, but then, he had the frequency element down one line on the D700 also.

      If anyone gets this going and can get screen caps from a D7, D72, and/or a D710, it would be good Wiki fodder.

      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 3, 2012
        On 8/3/2012 3:32 PM, James Ewen wrote:
        On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

        See also one of the lower paragraphs in my diatribe response to James.

        I wouldn't consider that a diatribe response... just sharing ideas and
        implementation reasonings. We're not bitter nor forceful!

        http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/diatribe

        I didn't realize "diatribe" was quite that negative!  I'll go with the origin from:

        Origin:
        1575–85;  < Latin diatriba  < Greek diatribḗ  pastime, study, discourse, derivative of diatríbein  to rub away ( dia- dia-  + tríbein  to rub)