If you build it, they will come.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2012
      Any APRS users out there tired of trying to be heard on your over
      crowded network?

      Move west (and probably a little north)!

      I was poking at the display on my D710, and noticed that in the first
      24 stations, only 3 were not part of the infrastructure. The closest
      was my home station over 100 km south. Next was VE6SBL driving down
      near the Edmonton International Airport, and the third was VE6WBM-13
      394 km south of me.

      The rest were digipeaters and an i-gate. The digipeaters were easy to
      recognize due to the tactical calls versus IC assigned callsigns.
      (There are no icons on the list page on the D710)

      So, we have lots of digipeaters, just need some users!

      --
      Sent from my mobile device

    • Gary Sanders
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2012
        I'd love to move - it's just a tad more crowded here in Florida (and not
        just on APRS!).

        However, I hear it gets a little cool there in the winter.

        Gary Sanders
        W0BY

        On 7/31/2012 8:03 PM, James Ewen wrote:
        > Any APRS users out there tired of trying to be heard on your over
        > crowded network?
        >
        > Move west (and probably a little north)!
        >
        > I was poking at the display on my D710, and noticed that in the first
        > 24 stations, only 3 were not part of the infrastructure. The closest
        > was my home station over 100 km south. Next was VE6SBL driving down
        > near the Edmonton International Airport, and the third was VE6WBM-13
        > 394 km south of me.
        >
        > The rest were digipeaters and an i-gate. The digipeaters were easy to
        > recognize due to the tactical calls versus IC assigned callsigns.
        > (There are no icons on the list page on the D710)
        >
        > So, we have lots of digipeaters, just need some users!

      • KE6BB
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2012
          All the user radios up there are probably frozen...but I am sure they will thaw out for your week of summer ;-)

          Actually, we could use some of that cool air with all the over 100 deg F (38 deg. C to all you folks north of the 49th) temps we have been having.

          Mark
          KE6BB

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2012
            We've been getting baked for a number of weeks... far too hot around
            here. We've been hovering just under 30 degrees for a long time. Makes
            for really good propagation, but ugly working temperatures. If you
            would like we could ship a few tornadoes down your way if you like.
            There have been a lot of those up here as well with this hot weather.

            On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM, KE6BB <rv6amark@...> wrote:
            > All the user radios up there are probably frozen...but I am sure they will thaw out for your week of summer ;-)
            >
            > Actually, we could use some of that cool air with all the over 100 deg F (38 deg. C to all you folks north of the 49th) temps we have been having.
            >
            > Mark
            > KE6BB
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Any APRS users out there tired of trying to be heard on your over
            >> crowded network?
            >>
            >> Move west (and probably a little north)!

            >> So, we have lots of digipeaters, just need some users!
            >>
            >> --
            >> Sent from my mobile device
            >>
            >> James
            >> VE6SRV

          • Krzysztof SQ5NWI
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
              Keep your winds James.
              Even here in central Europe kind of tornadoes happen and we experienced them
              this summer in Poland as well as last year.
              I believe they are not so destructive like big tornadoes in North America,
              but hundreds families lost their homes and other goods.
              Tragedy is tragedy even if it happens to one man...

              To stay in topic - fortunately APRS network is alive here and number of
              users is not so low compared to infrastructure nodes. ;-)
              --
              Regards,

              Krzysztof
              SQ5NWI